Chapala.com Webboard

Emllias Ajijic

Joyinmexico

On 3/29/2019 at 8:45 PM, Tiny said:

Maybe one way to keep dog owners/dogs away from a restaurant is to have dog on the menu.  HAHAHAHA

While in China many years ago while my wonderful wife was working for a couple of weeks, we went into a nice restaurant frequented by the expats working there. On the menu, in English, was  "Wild Dog". The next item was "Best Parts of Wild Dog" for a few extra Rm.  I have always wondered what the best parts are.  No, I didn't ask.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad restaurants like Ajijic Tango and Fonda Dona Lola obey the law. Their business model works and they're doing just fine. Restaurants who break the law, who need to depend on dog lovers bringing their pets for business may not have the quality of food to compete for business. This is their way to compensate. I don't need to eat there. The law exists to enforce hygiene. What is the level of hygiene in these restaurants?

I was there with friends for breakfast yesterday and there was at least one dog under the majority of the tables. All were quiet and well behaved, much better than kids running around and yelling. I experienced this at dinner on Thursday, not pleasant and I like kids. No, I did not have a dog with me nor did anyone else at the table.Point is, we had a lovely breakfast in a nice place with good food. All diners and their dogs were acting in a socially acceptable manner and the food was great. What more does anyone want? As to hygiene, what have you got on the soles of your shoes which you are bringing into the restaurant, ever think about that?

The servers at a restaurant are not "petting" the soles of shoes. The soles of my shoes are not resting on the seats of chairs like some dog's asses. I am not stroking the soles of my shoes and sticking my hands into my food plate unlike owners of dogs who are feeding their pets. The soles of my shoes remain firmly on the ground where they belong. I've seen servers pet animals and then continue on to serve food without washing their hands first. If dog owners want to practice low levels of hygiene in their own homes, that is their prerogative. But they do not have a right to impose their habits in a restaurant open to the public.

Why do people that insist on taking their dogs to restaurants feel that they have more rights than the rest of us?  It's been stated over and over again that it's illegal to take pets into an enclosed restaurant area.  There are plenty of open, outdoor patio restaurants to choose from.  

16 minutes ago, suegarn said:

It's been stated over and over again that it's illegal to take pets into an enclosed restaurant area. 

We know the law, but the answer I am looking for is who are the people that enforce the law and how can I complain effectively with photos of the offenders?

25 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

We know the law, but the answer I am looking for is who are the people that enforce the law and how can I complain effectively with photos of the offenders?

IMO You need to get the elected officials and Mexican friends/neighbors to back your cause. Then, have the officials pressure the police/department to pressure the restaurant owners to follow the law.

Comparing dogs to children is a far-fetched, erroneous, misleading and ludicrous concept. Makes much more sense to compare the ethics of a person who insists on taking a dog to a restaurant illegally, to those of one who does not.

Thanks you all for taking over a fantastic recommendation to a really good restaurant and giving it a proper thrashing.  Could the moderator close this now?  Hasn't it been once again beat to death?  Also, all of you all that are so very sensitive to dogs, a question .... are all your friends dogless?  if not, do you ever visit them, perhaps have a meal or a drink?  better re-think that behavior and my God!!! don't sit on their furniture for sure!  remember not to touch them or shake their hands.

6 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Also, all of you all that are so very sensitive to dogs, a question .... are all your friends dogless?  if not, do you ever visit them, perhaps have a meal or a drink?  better re-think that behavior and my God!!! don't sit on their furniture for sure!  remember not to touch them or shake their hands.

One very big difference. It is not against the LAW to go to your friends.  

Dog owners that take their dogs to restaurants are acting childish.  ME ME ME

Now close this post.

44 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Comparing dogs to children is a far-fetched, erroneous, misleading and ludicrous concept. Makes much more sense to compare the ethics of a person who insists on taking a dog to a restaurant illegally, to those of one who does not.

I agree completely, comparing dogs in restaurants to children; human beings, our species progeny, is not only ludicrous, but completely ridiculous. I suppose that person would drive on by a dead child run over by a vehicle on the highway just like it was a dead dog that had been run over. WTF!!!!

I don't like dogs in restaurants either.  I have 3 however and will have dogs until I can't.  Yes it is against the law but that is not what people are complaining about the most.  At any rate, we can all decide for ourselves whether to go to a restaurant or not.  Some of my favorite would have to be crossed off the list which include the one in this thread, Adelitas, Paninos, Huerto Cafe, La Nueva Posada, Mom's, Yves, and many more.  I guess I have been fortunate as I have never seen a server pet one of the dogs though I have seen them pick their own nose, scratch their own behinds and heads and face, run their hands through their own hair and cough over the food.  I just think there are many more things that happen in restaurants that are much more off putting than a dog under a table.  Mine stay at home where they belong.

Slainte39, as to how many laws can they break?  Do you quit driving because everyone is breaking driving laws every time you go out?  Do you boycott restaurants that allow smoking as it is illegal as well but there are plenty on this board that will defend smoking in restaurants till death.  We are not the ethical police ... just looking for a decent place to eat and relax.

Of course I boycott restaurants that allow smoking as many of my dining companions are very sensitive to smoke----- AND respect for anyone in the restaurant that is bothered by cigarette smoke.  I see a whole lot less smokers, practically none at all, compared to dogs in restaurants.

I know more smokers that don´t smoke in prohibited areas than dog owners that bring their dogs with the same prohibition.

Introducing driving law infractions into the discussion as an excuse to tolerate dogs in restaurants, is a classic STRAW MAN argument.  I don´t believe Vialidad invites foreigners into the country (or Mexicans) to violate traffic laws to increase their business.   Like what for?....to increase the volumen of traffic?

I get it that you are not the police, but I have no problem crusading against this violation of the law, and will continue to do so. When you rally support for compliance with a law you strongly support, i will keep my mouth shut, and stay out of it.

Slainte39, you are right.  I have to admit that I am as much a crusader when it comes to smoking.  I am allergic and can not tolerate even a little ... even the smoke that comes from people standing outside that filters back into the restaurant.  I have eliminated all restaurants where people smoke and if I eliminated all restaurants then that let dogs in I would really be limited in restaurants.  I am sorry that I can not join you in boycotting all the restaurants that allow dogs but I salute you for your efforts.  

12 hours ago, Wookie said:

Thanks you all for taking over a fantastic recommendation to a really good restaurant and giving it a proper thrashing.  Could the moderator close this now?  Hasn't it been once again beat to death?  Also, all of you all that are so very sensitive to dogs, a question .... are all your friends dogless?  if not, do you ever visit them, perhaps have a meal or a drink?  better re-think that behavior and my God!!! don't sit on their furniture for sure!  remember not to touch them or shake their hands.

AMEN!!

What a crock. Standards of hygeine are intentionally more stringent in public eating places. Perhaps some folks don't recall that they were introduced as enforceable laws to stem the tide of unnecessary disease. People used to throw their toilet bucket water into the street in England, you might recall, and thought nothing of it, until someone realized residents were dying left, right and centre. They invested massive amounts of money into creating an underground sewage removal system. Restaurant standards are the result of the same forward thinking, not self-entitled "values".

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

AMEN!!

If the restaurant wants to succeed, it will pay attention to what people are saying here and cater to the considerate, law abiding potential customers instead of to the inconsiderate, entitled ones.  End of story. Amen.

Poor Emillia's restaurant, nobody can give an honest report on any restaurant without someone taking over the thread for their own crusade. Emillia's was clean and served delicious food, they are gracious and friendly. Everything was lovely and they have great coffee to boot.

Archived