Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris flights from the Southwest US to GDL

I have flown Volaris several times from Mexico City to Guadalajara.  It is a no frills airline but I have not experienced any problems.  We pay a little extra  to set in the first 3 rows.  They charge for baggage but no higher than other airlines and if I remember right you can have 55 pounds in your suitcase where as other airlines limit you to 50. They sell food and drinks nothing is given free. 

Looks like the route is canceled after june. The planes between gdl-abq were only 28% full. Also on their promotion calendar of 1 or 2 weeks ago they didn't show information for july-march 2019 on this route so i think it is safe to say it is canceled.

Personally i don't mind flying with volaris. Most of their flights aren't that long anyway so i don't care cramped seats especially if it means i can fly directly in stead of making a transfer. Other than that no much difference in other airlines. 

2 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

Was just on the Volaris site to look for fares from ABQ to GDL in June and July 2019. It said that there were no flights (except one outbound on June 3rd, I believe.

Does anyone have personal experience with Volaris Airlines? Their flights certainly are cheap enough.

I see a flight up on Monday June 3 for $2525mn which appears to be the last one. The worst thing about Volaris is their lousy web site.

• Like 2

I've flown Volaris Denver to GDL several times over the last few years as they are the only non-stop these days. Never a problem. Yes, as all low-fare airlines do, they charge for baggage, seat selection and drinks/snacks. They constantly advertise discount fares, even off their already low fares, but seemingly not on any route that I would take. Sometimes, even 'tho they are flying me out of Denver... where a good number of us speak English.... I have had a flight with no English speaking attendants.

Ditto on their terrible website!

If you need help with anything about their website you can call the U.S. number and reach an English speaking person.  I have just had occasion to do this regarding a flight we are taking later in the month and was helped by a very friendly and competent representative.  Also, I did not have to hold on the phone but about 2 minutes.  Yes, we are paying extra for our seat and our luggage but as others have said it is the only non-stop flight we could find anywhere and was very thankful for it.  Most other airlines are charging for luggage and special seats as well even though they are not "low cost" airlines.

Too bad the Albuquerque route didn't pan out.  Not surprised though, never thought there would be enough traffic between there and GDL to keep the route going.  ABQ has always had very limited air service, you just about have to go to PHX, DEN or DFW to go anywhere else.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, RickS said:

I've flown Volaris Denver to GDL several times over the last few years as they are the only non-stop these days. Never a problem. Yes, as all low-fare airlines do, they charge for baggage, seat selection and drinks/snacks. They constantly advertise discount fares, even off their already low fares, but seemingly not on any route that I would take. Sometimes, even 'tho they are flying me out of Denver... where a good number of us speak English.... I have had a flight with no English speaking attendants.

Ditto on their terrible website!

Interjet does not charge for seat selection and drinks/snacks.  They offer tiers of pricing for different options for luggage, from carry-on to the sky's the limit.  They email you when they're offering prices substantially discounted from their usual low prices.  If you are 65 years old or older, you automatically receive a 15% price discount. 

They're more responsible in their treatment of customers and much more comfortable than Volaris.  The pitch (distance between the your seat and the seat in front of you) is 34", rather than the standard 31"--actual legroom!--and the seats are wider as well!  Interjet offers routes within Mexico, to and from numerous points in the USA and Canada, and many South American routes.  My personal experience with Interjet has been a) a user-friendly website, b) accept either Mexican or USA debit cards; c) on-time service ; d) newer airplanes: and e) knowledgeable staff.  I've flown Interjet all over Mexico, to Miami, to JFK, and to Toronto. 

Interjet gets my vote every time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roberta Strand said:

My daughter just flew from Sacramento, CA to GDL. The cost of Aeromexico (where you get free drinks and food) was the same as the Volaris "bus". Much more comfort and Volaris is notorious for cancelling flights and not bothering to tell you.

Wow, good to know. I have never seen Aeromexico beat anyone  on pricing....

On 3/29/2019 at 7:57 AM, Mainecoons said:

Too bad the Albuquerque route didn't pan out.  Not surprised though, never thought there would be enough traffic between there and GDL to keep the route going.  ABQ has always had very limited air service, you just about have to go to PHX, DEN or DFW to go anywhere else.

Am hoping that they will be offering service during the high season. The next cheapest I could find from ABQ-GDL was around $600 on Skiplagged. Volaris can get you there for about half of that (or even less)in about 2 hrs. 45 minutes if you can tough it out .Time will tell, I suppose.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, RickS said:

Wow, good to know. I have never seen Aeromexico beat anyone  on pricing....

When planning a trip GDL to Guatemala City in October, we liked Interjet's outbound flight, but not their return flights times/connections.  AeroMexico had good return times/connections but far higher prices.  Trying to book online with AeroMexico, I could not find their senior discount.  Ends up you always have to call Aeromexico to get age discount.  The agent I spoke to was extremely helpful....she offered me all sort of options to lower the price; in the end she seated us in front of plane with a throwaway round-trip ticket (something I wouldn't have considered doing myself online) and it was literally 1/2 the on-line price I was seeing with them for that leg.  

So, my advice with Aeromexico is to call them for best price  if they have a flight with convenient time/connection but higher price than others on that route (you can ask for English-speaking agent).  

29 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What is a throwaway round trip ticket?

You don't use the return flight.  We needed a specific date on our one-way from GUA to GDL.  After a number of machinations she found us a cheaper fare buying a (throw-away) round trip, GUA to GUA with a "made-up" return date to GUA that bought the price down way lower than the one-way.  

• Like 1