Chapala.com Webboard

BUYING AND USING A CEL PHONE IN MX

ezpz

21 hours ago, bajandy said:

I and another friend had problems with paying for TELCEL at Oxxo.  One payment was not credited to my fone, I suspect it went elsewhere.  I did not watch closely as the number was entered, got a receipt etc.  My friend updated 2 fones, was not credited.

Went to another Oxxo.  I watched the terminal as the number was entered.  Had to tell the girl a couple of times the entry of my number was not complete.  Finalyl she did the right thing.

Starting to suspect Oxxo software for a Telcel payment has a flaw that can be exploited.  Pay attention.

I have the phone with me and turned on.  Within 30 seconds of the payment being finalized I get a confirming message from TelCel.  

On 3/28/2019 at 1:43 PM, Ferret said:

Let me guess... the Telcel store that you were dealing with is next to a second hand store. I also bought a phone from them that died. Avoid. Period.

The one around the corner from them (beside Alex' Restaurant and opposite Chopsticks Restaurant) is the place to go. Ana Romero is impeccably honest and I highly recommend her. She even tried to fix the dud that the other place sold me.

That TelCel store (one next to the 2nd hand store) is notorious. I learned not to deal with anyone there over 10 years ago but they are still in business. 

On 3/30/2019 at 11:34 AM, bajandy said:

I and another friend had problems with paying for TELCEL at Oxxo.  One payment was not credited to my fone, I suspect it went elsewhere.  I did not watch closely as the number was entered, got a receipt etc.  My friend updated 2 fones, was not credited.

Went to another Oxxo.  I watched the terminal as the number was entered.  Had to tell the girl a couple of times the entry of my number was not complete.  Finalyl she did the right thing.

Starting to suspect Oxxo software for a Telcel payment has a flaw that can be exploited.  Pay attention.

I've been paying at Oxxo for like 15 years. Never been a problem. I get the receipt and don't leave the store until I get the confirmation text from Telcel. Once I didn't get it, but phoned +133# for my balance and it was showing properly.

I have related questions. I have a part time helper I need to keep in touch with. The easiest way would by via Whatsapp but his phone is a piece of junk and he often does not keep his minutes topped up. I am thinking of purchasing one of the 'Blu' phones through Amazon mx to give to him but to maintain control over keeping the 'plan' paid up. Hopefully, I could accomplish this online. [paying in advance would be ideal] 

FYI My own service is with Verison USA.

My questions;

1/ I presume that Telcel is my best option. Does anyone know if the Blu androids are compatible? (if not suggest other inexpensive makes)

2/ Is it best to put the phone in my name or the worker's name?

3/ Any suggestions for the best plan for this situation?

4/ Other input gladly received.

20 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

1/ I presume that Telcel is my best option. Does anyone know if the Blu androids are compatible? (if not suggest other inexpensive makes)

Yes, Blu androids are compatible.  I use two.  Which model are you looking at?  I have one model that I am not sure how well Whatsapp would work on it.

8 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Yes, Blu androids are compatible.  I use two.  Which model are you looking at?  I have one model that I am not sure how well Whatsapp would work on it.

Blu Dash XL X8 Factory - 8 GB  https://www.amazon.com.mx/Blu-Dash-XL-Factory-Desbloqueado/dp/B079J7XLXL/ref=pd_sbs_107_26?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079J7XLXL&pd_rd_r=9c96dea9-4805-11e9-8448-5f8f8266119a&pd_rd_w=2PY6U&pd_rd_wg=CZM53&pf_rd_p=afcc0085-633d-4e65-bef4-f1b100aadf84&pf_rd_r=RMM00QSFCA94YDKRQZST&psc=1&refRID=RMM00QSFCA94YDKRQZST

33 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

I have related questions. I have a part time helper I need to keep in touch with. The easiest way would by via Whatsapp but his phone is a piece of junk and he often does not keep his minutes topped up.

You can make Telcel calls to your worker and he doesn't have to keep his minutes topped up. Caller pays, not recipient.

• 8 months later...

Hola Amig@s,

I am reviving this thread because I still have some "issues" with my cel phone and plan to change next year although I don't know exactly what I want anymore or who I want to  do business with.  Some of you stated you were happy with certain persons that I have dealt with, but most gringos buy (or already have) the most expensive phones or packages deals.  I am a budget shopper and so they give me a lot more sales pressure or lies, such as Telcel is no longer servicing Nokia.  I used extremely little internet in the very short time I had a smart phone ( which was stolen) so that was never the issue.

I would like to know if any of you have had these specific problems or alibis or lies as the case may be:

*  I have to check your "line" to see what the problem was.  (What line??  We were talking cel phones, not telmex!)

* Sometimes "the system" doesn't record your payment.

* Your phone is not functioning because of the change over to the new rules that everyone has to use 10 digit numbers now.

* The voice message you get is just trying to sell you packages.  (I understand enough Spanish to know that a voice message regarding "saldo" is that yours is out.)

* Your maid didn't understand the voice message. (My maid is Mexican, for chrissake!)

Has anyone had a problem with putting simple calls through when you were paid up?  If so, how did you resolve that?

Gracias!

I have a plan with Telcel. I have never encountered any of the problems that you are asking about. If you are not residente permante or citizen you will need to use Amigo prepaid. You can recharge online with any credit or debit card. (US Canada included) or spend time & gas to do the same in Oxxo, Walmart, Soriana, etc etc. 

14 hours ago, Yo1 said:

When I took my phone in to get a sim card, no one at the big Telcel store asked for my visa.  I don't use Amigo plan but you wrote that with a certain visa only an Amigo plan is available.  I don't think that's correct.

Which monthly plan are you on? 

If you pre-pay it is Amigo. If you are billed you are on a regular plan.

I have a $199 per month North America plan which bills me monthly. For that you need ID, proof of residence, 2 personal references, and Residente Permanente, or your INE card.

Two types of service here with Telcel. One amigo plan requires you to put money into it every month if not sooner but it works in can/mex and US. People who put 100 peso every two month have a mexico only cell plan. So if you dont' talk much and don't need to use it outside of mexico get the mexico plan.  Be aware I wanted the cheapest service and the Telcel in the mall gave me the expensive plan so you have to ask (demand) the mexico only plan. 

21 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I have a package where I put 150 pesos, or whatever I want, on the phone whenever I run out.  I don't want a pre-paid plan because I almost never use my cell phone.

That is the definition of pre-pay. If you don't deposit prior to using you don't have service. You have an Amigo plan. 

For a credit billing you must be citizen or residente permanente, proof of residence and 2 personal references. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, Mostlylost said:

That is the definition of pre-pay. If you don't deposit prior to using you don't have service. You have an Amigo plan. 

For a credit billing you must be citizen or residente permanente, proof of residence and 2 personal references. 

That is what we found out last week at the Laguna Mall Telcel. The rep at the window put a chip in my wife's unlocked phone and said it didn't work the phone is locked. but then she tried to up sell us on a plan. If she thought the phone was locked why would she do that? I have the same phone from Verizon that I switched to AT&T in the USA so I know they are unlocked. I must maintain a USA number.

We don't qualify for a plan. Then we went to AT&T a block west of Revolution just south of the Carr. The rep put a new sim in and now my wife has a Mexicana phone number.

No problems so far.

1 hour ago, Youngtimer said:

That is what we found out last week at the Laguna Mall Telcel. The rep at the window put a chip in my wife's unlocked phone and said it didn't work the phone is locked. but then she tried to up sell us on a plan. If she thought the phone was locked why would she do that? I have the same phone from Verizon that I switched to AT&T in the USA so I know they are unlocked. I must maintain a USA number.

We don't qualify for a plan. Then we went to AT&T a block west of Revolution just south of the Carr. The rep put a new sim in and now my wife has a Mexicana phone number.

No problems so far.

Odd experience. What plan did they try to sell you? 

My son visiting here went in last week. He asked to buy a sim. He paid and they gave him the envelope with the sim. No upsell offered.