Chapala.com Webboard

Bone Voyage Dog Rescue

Bonevoyage is a non profit rescue group created to send Mexican dogs north to better homes. We work with the local shelters and with people in the Lake Chapala area that have many street dogs in their care. We also assist individuals that find street dogs and don't know what to do with them. We are all volunteers working together to try to minimize the amount of homeless dogs in the area.

Bone Voyage has a new Facebook group which I encourage you to join. The group of dedicated volunteers has already sent over 300 dogs to homes NOB. The more attention and help they get the more dogs get to benefit. 

Please help, the community is greatly benefited by this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't get it.  Thousands of dogs are euthanized in shelters in  the USA every day and you are paying for dogs to be sent there.  For every dog you send this means a USA dog has less chance of being adopted and saved.   Much better you find homes in Mexico or establish kennels for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I don't get it.  Thousands of dogs are euthanized in shelters in  the USA every day and you are paying for dogs to be sent there.  For every dog you send this means a USA dog has less chance of being adopted and saved.   Much better you find homes in Mexico or establish kennels for them.

They make every effort to place dogs here but there are too many and not enough homes. Yes, many dogs are euthanized in the states. The thing is that the plethora or paucity of dogs is regional. Bone Voyage works with areas of the US and Canada where rescues are eagerly sought and very quickly find homes. 

17 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I am sure your intentions are well meaning, but like Raferbr , I feel you have found a solution but not solved  "the problem"

In addition to placing dogs both Lakeside and NOB there are organizations which hold spay/neuter clinics multiple times a year. Most of us are also involved in those. If you have a way to solve the problem please do share. In the meantime we will keep doing our best to help the innocent dogs who have been let down by humans.

With respect what are you doing?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been active in animal welfare for more years than I want to count. Some parts of the US still have an overpopulation problem - mostly in the Southern states. Other parts of the country have done such a good job with spay/neuter education that they are able to 'import' dogs to meet the demand. When I left Boulder CO almost 11 years ago, they were bringing in dogs regularly. The practice has spread widely in recent years.

Every Mexican dogs brought to the US and placed doesn't have any relevance to areas of the country who don't bother with spay/neuter education or with sending their unwanted dogs to areas of the country where demand is high.

• Thanks 1

I know the Dog Ranch here under the direction of Syd Sullins also sends dogs north for adoption.  I believe there is also another group - Happy Tails here as well that does the same.  I have not heard of BonVoyage - are they a new group?   Thank you to all of you who do so much to help our homeless furry friends find homes.  Sure beats the alternative of a life on the street starving to death!!  Great Job!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guiness said:

I know the Dog Ranch here under the direction of Syd Sullins also sends dogs north for adoption.  I believe there is also another group - Happy Tails here as well that does the same.  I have not heard of BonVoyage - are they a new group?   Thank you to all of you who do so much to help our homeless furry friends find homes.  Sure beats the alternative of a life on the street starving to death!!  Great Job!!

Cari LeClair is the person behind the export of dogs for all of the above. When she started it was under the auspices of Happy Tails which mission is spay/neuter.  Cari has also been a volunteer at the Ranch and so the story began. The name "Bone Voyage is new but the players are the same.

28 minutes ago, nothernewbie said:

Cari LeClair is the person behind the export of dogs for all of the above. When she started it was under the auspices of Happy Tails which mission is spay/neuter.  Cari has also been a volunteer at the Ranch and so the story began. The name "Bone Voyage is new but the players are the same.

Well then, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.............to all for a job well done.  We are extremely fortunate to have all these great people working for our furry friends....

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Thanks for the info makes a little bit more sense.  Hopefully a solution can be found to solve the problem internally in Mexico.

If you had been here 20 plus years like I have, you would know that we have come a LONG way towards spay/neuter and education among Mexicans as to the "whys" and "hows".   Years ago, you could not go a couple of blocks without seeing starving, mange-ridden dogs everywhere.... and even usually nocturnal (for safety) feral cats could be spotted scavenging food from time to time.  So yes,     those of us involved in animal activism have come a long way here... with further to go.

We left Victoria (Canada) in the late 1990's. At that time, the local SPCA had been importing dogs from other parts of Canada for about 5 or 6 years because the local S/N programs were so successful there were LINEUPS for dogs.  One Canadian airline even flew them at no cost from overpopulated parts of the country!

So.... unless you've walked the walk, keep your criticism to yourself please.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

And our pesos?

I assume that people who are anonymous internet critics are not going to be donating pesos to a cause anyway. If by some chance your gifts come with ignorant criticism and no attempt to inform yourself before  speaking, than I would say, yes. Keep them both to yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 12:09 AM, MtnMama said:

I have been active in animal welfare for more years than I want to count. Some parts of the US still have an overpopulation problem - mostly in the Southern states. Other parts of the country have done such a good job with spay/neuter education that they are able to 'import' dogs to meet the demand. When I left Boulder CO almost 11 years ago, they were bringing in dogs regularly. The practice has spread widely in recent years.

Every Mexican dogs brought to the US and placed doesn't have any relevance to areas of the country who don't bother with spay/neuter education or with sending their unwanted dogs to areas of the country where demand is high.

Yes, I had a guest from Portland who comes to Sayulita almost every year and always brings a few dogs back which the local animal rescue have found homes for there. I asked her if there weren't already dogs in Portland who needed adopting. She said no, the demand was greater than the availability, due to people being responsible about getting their pets spayed and neutered.