Chapala.com Webboard

It's Hell To Be Caught With A Diablito

Isn't it funny how "someone" gets the blame for CFE thefts? I got this in an email.

The American Legion, Chapala and the American Legion Auxiliary are asking members and friends for their help.

In 2012 someone short circuited our electric meter.  The electric company, CFE, now has assessed us with $159,000.00 pesos fine for what the meter did not record.

We are prepared to pay this amount, but if the electric company is correct our future electric bills will be approximately $15,000.00 pesos per month.  This is not a sustainable amount.  The electric company indicated that the only answer is solar power.  The bids we have so far for solar are approximately $300,000.00 pesos.

This is where we are asking the membership and friends for help.  We are asking that them to donate $500.00 pesos (approx. $25 USD) each toward the cost of solar power.

Also, don't assume the future bills will be that high - CFE really has no idea what the consumption has been, if the meter has not been working.     The amount they have assessed typically includes an estimate of consumption, penalties, and interest.    

Best approach is to monitor the consumption for a month, get the average use, and go from there.   My guess is it should be lower than mentioned.....saving your heart, and your budget!   😉

Have you set up a paypal or similar account?  I agree solar is the way to go as CFE will only get higher in the future.  I am a veteran but do not belong to the Chapala American Legion.  I do eat breakfast there once in a while.

ROTFLMAO. The meter shorted and NO ONE noticed that they were suddenly using and/or being charged less? Yeah, right.  IF they had reported it and gotten a work order number, their butts would have been covered. That's what happened to me when the meter in the house we were renting suddenly stopped working. I reported it but they still hadn't replaced the meter over a year later. CFE's problem because they had no meters to replace it.

Archived