Chapala.com Webboard

have a heart traps

Who has one of these that we can use to capture two feral male cats in the neighborhood?  One at a time for vet trips.  Not only for snipping but we think one is ill and putting the domesticated cats on our block at risk.  We need to get him to the vet first.  

Thanks.

It also helps to put a blanket or something over the upper body and sides of the trap.... so the cat will enter and feel "safe" as opposed to seeing bars all around and wondering "what the heck is this anyway?"

And PLEASE be sure to release the cat in the same neighborhood it was trapped.  Cats are highly territorial, and know where the dangerous dogs, kids, etc. are  plus the  local food and water sources. Put them somewhere new, and they (1) have to fight off the cats who already LIVE in the "new"  territory and will not want them there, and (2) have to sort out food, water, and dangers..... if they manage to live that long.

Thank you for caring and trying to help this pair!

Natasha you are so sweet to worry.  The point of capturing feral cats is to move them away from the neighborhood where they have become comfortable.  One cat is ill and will be put down.  The other cat will be snipped and released kilometers away near a barn in a village.  Someone there is expecting the cat so it will not be alone in the relocation. These feral cats  are a serious health hazard to my own 4 indoor/outdoor cats and to my neighbors 2 indoor/outdoor cats and the single cat next door who is strictly indoor but whom they lament about at the house windows.  They defecate on miradors and on terraces and in garden beds in the yards.  If they get into the house they spray everything and everywhere. They fight with neighborhood cats and howl all night.  This is the 3rd set of two feral cats in 2 years.  I am not heartless about this but my first obligation is to the cats who own us.  Then to my neighbors cats and lastly to the feral cats.  They will get what they need medically but then be relocated.  They are not adoptable.

Soloajijic....... I SO understand your frustration with feral cats (especially non-castrated males). It's only one of many reasons my six cats live 24/7 indoors. 

Since you are relocating the one to a place where it is "expected" (and presumably provided with access to food, but more importantly water) then I applaud you. YOU are doing the responsible thing.

But the telling point in your reply is ".......This is the 3rd set of two feral cats in 2 years......"  .   I have known of far too many cases where feral cats were relocated to "the hills" (certain death for them) or to another neighborhood....which no doubt already had its own feral population.  The cats you mention came to your area because they got too old to stay in the primary  social group  where they were born, and they moved into that area because in one way or another "your" territory had become "available" to newcomers.

In general, one solution to this problem is trap, spay/neuter, and release into same place.  That way, they prevent newcomers from coming into "their" territory.  And no reproduction means less ferals. So for all who are thinking of  getting rid of ferals,   please consider this viable option.  It works on a HUGE scale in places like Portland, Oregon, and in many others as well.

Natasha is correct about covering the trap with a blanket or something.  Professional trappers cover the traps permanently.  I put a shower curtain on mine and caught cats and skunks.  With the trap covered the skunks never saw me and they never sprayed.