Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. Customs

Simon

When flying from Guadalajara to Calgary via Houston then Denver where do you clear U.S customs. The reason I ask is we are only in Houston for less than 2 hours and if we have to go through customs etc there we might miss our flight.

thanks in advance

Simon

You will go through US Customs at IAH. I carry a Global Entry card that allows me to bypass lines, but have not seen delays or long lines at IAH, so a two hour layover is probably not a problem. If you get into a time crunch you can ask for expedited service that will put you at the head of a line.

If you have smart phones you can try downloading the Mobile Passport App and set up information about your passport. If you qualify you can register your entry to IAH before leaving GDL and then go to the Mobile Passport line with the approval for entry on the screen.

Since you're stopping in Denver before arriving in Calgary you will have to claim and re-check luggage.

If you fly the same airline all the way to Calgary or a code share airline, you should be able to check your luggage all the way through to Calgary.  However, you will need to claim your luggage in Houston, go through customs and then take it a short distance to connecting flight area and they will then take care of it for you, as long as you are on the same airline or code share partner.  If at any time you transfer to a different or non partner airline along the way, you will need to claim your luggage and take it around to check in to put it through on the next different airline flight.

The Mobile Passport app works great; no one in line when I went through IAH earlier this week.

Download before you go; you need to take your picture and add passport info for you and anyone else travelling with you.

When you land open the app and select your entry airport and that is about it; follow the lines for Mobile Passport.

Archived