Chapala.com Webboard

Wall construction

WideSky

When buildings are constructed NOB a standard concrete footing (6-8" deep x 14-18" wide)  with embedded rebar on a 2" gravel base is used. Even in areas of clay soil and earthquake zones this was adequate.  SO... could someone provide some reasoning WHY brick walls are built on a one meter deep base of rock. 

3 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

We had a brick wall built and they sure didn't build it like that.

i) I assume it was here; if not no need to answer questions 2 & 3

ii) so how was the wall built?

iii) how long ago was it constructed and are there any signs of listing or movement?

The soil at the lake contains very highly expansive clay. I have seen larger concrete footings as you mentioned work but I would recommend a layer of about 30 cm of gravel below because of the soil movement.

If you do a professional soil study they will be able to give you various foundation options including  just concrete and rebar but they will usually require the removal a certain amount of dirt in order to get to a better quality of soil and much bigger than you mentioned.

I have seen recommendations past two meters in some places. The rock system is a traditional system here at the lake but it works to insulate the foundation  from cracks as the soil expands and contracts.

I would recommend also a visual analysis as the trench is being dug as the soil varies in depth and equality in the same area and make sure your builder understands the soil in Chapala as in Guadalajara in most places the soil is of a much better quality.

There is/was a lot of new construction going on in a neighborhood about a km to a mile due west of the Racquet Club where I bought a small lot.  This new foundation shown seems typical and was set in a less steep area.  If/when I build on a much steeper site, would anyone care to recommend an experienced local engineer for foundation and structural design?  Thanks.

SJC FOUNDATION SYSTEM.jpg

4 hours ago, utilitus said:

There is/was a lot of new construction going on in a neighborhood about a km to a mile due west of the Racquet Club where I bought a small lot.  This new foundation shown seems typical and was set in a less steep area.  If/when I build on a much steeper site, would anyone care to recommend an experienced local engineer for foundation and structural design?  Thanks.

SJC FOUNDATION SYSTEM.jpg

Hi! To have a better foundation and structural desing! You need to make a soil text! Them the Engineer can desing the best Foundation for you and you're project! Suerte!

Archived