Chapala.com Webboard

Garbage payment

Our compound has been trying to pay our semi annual garbage payment... We have been trying since Dec... We are now being told by the City that we should deal directly with the contractor... Since the city ostensibly has a contract (25 yrs) with the city, this arrangement seems a bit odd... My question is has any other group had this situation come up?

Our HOA was being held hostage by some guys from GIRRSA, the official garbage hauler for Chapala. It got to the point that we had no garbage pickup for over two weeks.

We then learned that if we went to Aseo Municipal behind the Red Cross building in Chapala we could work something out.

We sent out president, a Mexican businessman to work out an agreement. It wasn't very expensive and seems to have solved our problems.

My understanding is the opposite. They want the money paid to the municipality not the contractor.

We researched the issue of whether or taxes covered garbage pickup. Our association's lawyer as well as officials at City Hall told us they did - but then stopped picking up the trash. So it appears you have no choice but to pay someone to do this for a fracc. or condo.

2 hours ago, bedbug said:

My understanding is the opposite. They want the money paid to the municipality not the contractor.

We researched the issue of whether or taxes covered garbage pickup. Our association's lawyer as well as officials at City Hall told us they did - but then stopped picking up the trash. So it appears you have no choice but to pay someone to do this for a fracc. or condo.

Wonder what will happen to failed fracs like Mirasol and Rancho de Oro?

4 minutes ago, rvanparys said:

Living in a compound has some deficiencies... Paying for garbage pick up seems to be one of them.

I live in a gated compound in Chapala Centro and I have never received any requests for payment. I also walk to the entrance and deposit my trash. Who would know what house it came from?

We have a dumpster outside our gate put there for the convenience of the garbage people.. AND we pay semi-annually.  My question to those in a similar situation, Do you pay the garbage people directly or the city??? 

We were "tipping" the garbagemen monthly for over a year. After run ins with GIRRSA people, garbage pickup for our condo and the whole street stopped for over two weeks.

Then the garbage men finally showed again up one Saturday night and told our groundskeeper they couldn't keep the tips and actually returned them. They also referred us to the Aseo Municipal office in Chapala where we had to pay.

We also had an area for garbage outside the date for central pickup.

So as far as I know we pay for trash collection in our taxes, but if you're in a gated community you pay again or watch the dogs and rats tear open the garbage bags stacked on the street.

Archived