Chapala.com Webboard

This is ANNOYING

Ferret

I have owned this house since May of 2016 and I have always paid my annual water bill and annual tax bill before the end of any January of any year.

Last year I got a notice TAPED to my front door that I hadn't paid Simapa. I marched in with my paid factura and got it sorted out in five minutes. 

Today, I got a notice that my tax bill is unpaid and addressed to the previous owner. I'm supposed to present myself at 9:20 TODAY with my identification at City Hall in Chapala. It was put in the window of my door in the last 24 hours.

Although I appreciate the current administration trying to recoup money not paid, I resent the fact that they can't or won't check the data base for these properties TO SEE THAT THE HOUSE HAS CHANGED HANDS AND THAT THE CURRENT OWNER IS UP TO DATE IN ALL MONIES OWING.

Either the previous administration screwed up by not closing old accounts when properties were sold or the current administration is not knowledgeable about how to find the information. Either way a little bit more notice would be appreciated or a contact number to inform them that I cannot make the appointment today. I will be putting this in the hands of Spencer McMullen. Perhaps he can make a suggestion about how they could go about this in a more efficient and less infuriatingly demanding manner.

I was in the process of copying both notices in PDF to send to Spencer's office when I got a knock at my door. A very nice young man looked at my tax bill, wrote down the name and told me that the notice I had received could be thrown away. Glad I took my blood pressure pill this morning.

It sure sounds like they're fishing...you know, those who accidentally threw away their receipts ór can't find them then have to prove that they did pay or else...surprise!...pay again. While it's good that the present Administration is trying to get things in order, a little more warning prior to your appearance is only fair. After all, it's not you who hosed up...oh well, just another day in paradise, right?

Archived