Chapala.com Webboard

Fracc. water shortages

Seems to me lakeside 7 you read it...somewhat thought about it ?    then replied...probably took you  longer than the poster with less purpose.This is surely the type of information actually relevant to our daily lives here at Lakeside...rather than the usual back and forth bull....t between the same perpetual posters . Water supply should be one of the most important topics .

Water is a finite resource. I once asked my granddaughters where water came from. There answer was "the tap". I started then and there to educate them. Anyone who has lived with a well and a septic system is far more aware than "city slickers". 

Showers are fine but they aren't a place to hang out and luxuriate in. If you can turn off the water while soaping up (military style) then turn it back on to rinse off, that's good.

Full loads of laundry

Don't do your dishes with the tap running

Water your garden by hose rather than a sprinkler system

Every little bit of conservation helps and adds up.

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

Water is a finite resource. I once asked my granddaughters where water came from. There answer was "the tap". I started then and there to educate them. Anyone who has lived with a well and a septic system is far more aware than "city slickers". 

Showers are fine but they aren't a place to hang out and luxuriate in. If you can turn off the water while soaping up (military style) then turn it back on to rinse off, that's good.

Full loads of laundry

Don't do your dishes with the tap running

Water your garden by hose rather than a sprinkler system

Every little bit of conservation helps and adds up.

Conservation ought to start with SIMAPA and CNE but they just don't seem to care. There is a huge leak at Rio Amazonas and Rio Maracaibo and I  have reported it before but it doesn't get fixed. The leak is actually in the SIMAPA manhole where the valve is leaking. It waste hundreds of gallons a day and causes contamination. Water leaks allow the pure water to flow out into the soil (you know, like the septic does). But when the pressure is off, the contaminated water is pulled back into the waterline as it syphons down hill into aljibes.

We probably need a sticky post where readers could always post water leak problems.

54 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It shouldn't. I don't have a water meter.

Yes, but you are probably conscientious and ‘aware’ by your very nature. Other folks need some help being good! Ergo water meters that really work for conservation. 

It depends on the water meter and the water delivery system. A meter's turbine spins whether there is a flow of air in the line or a flow of water. IF you have a water meter HERE, make sure that it has an air bleed system BEFORE the actual meter to give an accurate consumption of only water. If the water flowed here 100% of the time, there wouldn't be such a need but it usually only flows for X number of hours per day. 

Let's add fixing leaking pipes and leaking cisterns and leaking valves on toilets and leaking heads and pipes of irrigation systems and dripping taps to the list. All that waste is magnified if you have a pressure system. We had a 1/16 inch hole in an elbow in our new house in San Pancho. Under pressure, we were losing one thousand litres of water every eight hours. I could hear the pump going on and off when water wasn't in use. Be aware.

Just now, phil in mexico said:

Yes I live in a fracc. with it's own well, the reason for the question is  i have heard of a large fracc. near where I live is having water supply issue also with there own well and wondering about the water table in this area and also conservation.

I guess for the one reply" I heard from a resident of Mision Chula Vista today," and you do no not .......if there is  a problem its not significant for folks to consider buying water or  moving back NOB.

To add to the save water crusaders, everyone should consider putting in a "cactus" garden and never never grass...maybe artificial turf..also get the Municipality to go around to all households and fix the leaking toilet cistern ...there problem fixed

I am surprised no one seems to have, or have even heard of, composting toilets. They work especially well if there is no freezing and a small solar powered exhaust fan. They might be expensive to ship from the U.S.A., but a Mexican company could easily make the molds. I doubt very much that there are any serious patents involved.

We bought a composting toilet for the kids for the rural property in Ontario. The brand is SunMar and they are not cheap. The also require a line to somewhere (in their case to the outside ground) so liquids can drain off and the product that must be added on a regular basis to help turn the "solids" into something vaguely resembling compost. That is mixed with a crank on the outside of the toilet. Then that compost has to be removed and used. All that is not for your average person.

20 minutes ago, Ferret said:

We bought a composting toilet for the kids for the rural property in Ontario. The brand is SunMar and they are not cheap. The also require a line to somewhere (in their case to the outside ground) so liquids can drain off and the product that must be added on a regular basis to help turn the "solids" into something vaguely resembling compost. That is mixed with a crank on the outside of the toilet. Then that compost has to be removed and used. All that is not for your average person.

The Sunmar is considered a light use unit. I was going to put one in my motorhome, the cost around $1,000 Cdn.

These are examples of units which could be installed in full time family homes, from companies which ship to Mexico.

https://www.environmental-expert.com/companies/serving-mexico/?keyword=composting+toilet&redirectedToServing=1

and here is an in depth article about them:

https://greywateraction.org/composting-toilets/

4 hours ago, Tiny said:

Is it possible that it is a smaller unit because you miss more than goes in? HAHAHA

Actually the marine model is curved to meet the hull, and it also has 12 volt heater and fan. Still much better solution than outhouse or portable toilet.

As documented by that famous masterpiece "Five hundred yards to the outhouse", by Willy Make it and Betty Wont.

We live in San Antonio T in a fracc and we have had water issues for the last 2 weeks and its getting worse. Our fracc has had to bring in water quite a few times. Water is being shut off at night to conserve. We get our water from the San Antonio T well and have been told that it is very low. Its getting to be a real pain. And when the water comes out it is murky. Just received our Berkey water filter from the states. News from HOA  is not very optimistic. Perhaps when the snowbirds leave it will get better.

When living in England my water hydrant broke and spewed water.  I called the property management company and it was 3 weeks before they fixed it.  They felt no reason to rush as the water delivery system in England is over 100 years old and they estimate they lose 40% of the water to leakage  They don't care as it rains so much in the country there is always an ample supply.  What they don't advertise is a lot of the pipes are lead.

Archived