Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox installed today

Ilox installers showed up today and installed our service. We signed up for the Triple 50 package at the outset even though we didn't need tv or phone because that seemed the fastest way to get them here, and that apparently caused a small scheduling problem because they would schedule us for an install and then not come out because  "there was no tv" and we would tell them we don't want tv and we don't need a refund and they would reschedule us and then not come out because "there was no tv". This happened 5 times and  I then contacted Tom Kessler and they showed up the next day. This is something some of you may want to watch out for.

The install took about an hour and a half and they showed us 62 megs on  a speed test. As soon as they left the speed started bouncing around from 60 to 0. We contacted the office and the techs came back and worked on it using an ethernet cable  and a phone seemed to get the modem at a solid 65-70, but the wifi still sucked. They recommended getting a router and I have no problem doing that if it solves the problem. They said they guaranteed  between 65 and 70, anything close to that would be ok with me  after TelMex's 3.5.  The modem they supplied was the larger black one.

econ, it would be very helpful to me as someone who does service calls, if you could tell me the model number on that modem. Is this it? image.png.0d3bcb2badc28ba6f3d1ffc884612510.png

It would also be good to know if you are able to check in your Device Manager on your PC and find out what "standard" of WiFi you have, whether it be 802.11 a, b, g, n, or ac. Both the broadcast station on the modem and the receiver on the laptop/tower, tablet, phone whatever would need to be the latest; mismatched standards can worsen the Internet throughput.

The manual I have for the other modem they provide, the one with two ethernet ports on the backside, is not the most current... doesn't even have WiFi, so I have no way of knowing what the standards are. Just found a spec sheet. https://www.epcom.net/producto/AN5506-02-FG-FIBERHOME-161867.html The WiFi on the white Ilox device is b, g, and n.

If it's a WiFi-based modem/router, then in all seriousness adding a standard WiFi router won't accomplish much... unless it turns out that their own devices are known for their poor WiFi capability. And that doesn't make sense, since it costs almost nothing these days to add WiFi to a manufactured device.

CG the modem is a GPON ONO FiberHome model AN5506-04-GG

My wireless device is currently highlighting  802.11 a/b/g with a value of 802.11 a/b/g. I can also select 802.11 n/ac

Is there a place on the modem where I can look up the standard or do I need to log in to the modem's IP?

So yes, that is the one pictured, correct? It should be "n", so I would switch your receiving device, yes. Internally, you can check via your browser at 192.168.1.1, if what I read on the Web is accurate. I found the specs online: https://www.epcom.net/product/AN5506-04-FS-FIBERHOME-161868.html

Did you ask for that specially, or are they just handing them out without regard, I wonder.

The following shows the basic speeds.  The addition problem is each code has different ratings.  Did I say I wanted to keep it simple?  HAHAHA

speeds

If you are buying a 802.11n Wi-Fi router then we would suggest buying one that supports N600 or higher. You would then get the benefit of getting a router with simultaneous Dual Band where you can use the 5GHz band for higher throughput. 

Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11n Wi-Fi Ratings

This is what the Rating table for 802.11ac transfer speeds could look like:

Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11ac Wi-Fi Ratings

36 minutes ago, Tiny said:

The following shows the basic speeds.  The addition problem is each code has different ratings.  Did I say I wanted to keep it simple?  HAHAHA

speeds

It's all moot, because there is no way anyone is going to get speeds like that. As I've mentioned, these are theoretical throughputs, and you can't get higher than what your modem delivers. Maybe someday we'll all get those speeds and laugh about it.

I'm wondering if you HAVE to use THEIR modem. Or should I just accept theirs and perhaps then try the fibre out with one of my own? The one I'm currently using shows 802.11n in the device manager of my laptop.

42 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's all moot, because there is no way anyone is going to get speeds like that. As I've mentioned, these are theoretical throughputs, and you can't get higher than what your modem delivers. Maybe someday we'll all get those speeds and laugh about it.

The first chart shows that all of your devices to at least code "n" to have your wi-fi above the code "g" level.

The other two charts are for your information if you may buy any wi-fi devices.

21 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I'm wondering if you HAVE to use THEIR modem. Or should I just accept theirs and perhaps then try the fibre out with one of my own? The one I'm currently using shows 802.11n in the device manager of my laptop.

I don't know but you may have to use their modem. But that is not stopping you from adding your own router via ethernet cable.

Ladies and Gents, 

Here´s a bit more info on Ilox installation status:

- They are going zone by zone, concentrating right now on the prepaids in Ajijic Centro.  Next week they're sending two more trucks to start west of Ajijic Centro towards San Juan Cosala.

- There have been challenges in successfully contacting all of the prepaids to schedule  their installations, especially in Ajijic Centro...People are out..don´t answer their phone, etc.  That has caused a couple of cases where they've installed some people who just signed up -- to keep the crews busy.    Can you blame them?  They have a business to run too. 

- Language is an issue.  If you are already installed and are having a service quality issue, and speak Spanish,  you can call the office and talk to the folks there.  But your better option, especially for English, is to send an email to  noc@mail.ilox.mx .    They´ll get right on it.

- If you´re a techie, and you´re having slow or erratic speeds, one thing you can do is log into your modem, the address is on the label, and check the signal levels.   The receive level for a GPON fiber connection should be -28 dbm or better.  The other day we helped a guy who was as -34.  Ilox came out and respliced the connection and it cleared right up.   Its rare but a cable connection can sometime stress and fail right after installation.   Of course not everyone can do that.   If this is gibberish to you, just mail the noc.  

- If you insist on speed testing, Ilox recommends you do it with the fast.com site which are the Netflix servers.    You have to take these speed tests with a grain of salt.  You´re connecting to other networks that can have their own bottlenecks.  Ilox doesn´t control that.  They control the speed up to their gateway.  Their fiber doesn´t have bottlenecks.  Up to their gateway, there´s nothing to allocate or throttle.  If your not getting a decent speed to  fast.com, then there´s probably a technical problem.  If you´re trying to tutor kids or stream some channel in rural Russia,  there might be a bigger issue.  If you´re do Internet phone calls, there shouldn´t but could be some donald duck events because of peak traffic.  Consider getting a US number on a two port Ilox box if you want guaranteed quality, because that is protected.

- The Ilox box has Wifi but after you enable it, you´re on your own.  Wifi doesn´t do vertical or thick walls.  5 ghz wifi is faster and less congested than 2.4 ghz, but doesn´t go as far.   If you are having problems with your wifi, but its basically working, don´t complain to Ilox.   Get a tech to help you.  You can easily add another couple of access points  and hardwire  to them on your second floor, or on the other side of your thick walls.  Download Wifi analyzer on your phone to check your signal level...Worse than about  -65dbm for wifi signal is weak.    Give the same SSID to all your wifi access points, even if 2.4 and 5 ghz mixed.   Your device will automatically connect to the strongest one.  Do make sure they are on different channels, either through auto function or manual settings.  Don´t use old wifi hardware...the newer stuff is much better. 

Good luck!  Life at lakeside is going to be even better with high speed fiber.  Lets welcome and thank the Ilox folks who are making it happen.   Below, a picture of their Network Operating Center in Sahuayo Michoacan....   Victor Godinez Sahagun is the manager and the Director of the company and he´ll take good care of you..

Tom

20190321_103023.jpg

CG, yes that is the modem and they just brought it.

When I reported that the properties of the wireless adaptor highlighted 802.11 a/b/c apparently that is the first item at the top of the grid and is always highlighted when you open it up; I attempted to select 802.11n but there was no enable button, so I checked task manager and it indicates I am using n, so I assume I am.

I am going to try to log in to the modem address today and check the receive level nos. as Tom suggested above. I tried yesterday  but I couldn't even find the Ilox connection so I will have to move my computer to the same room.

I have no problem improving wifi capability if that's the problem.  My concern is that when we held a laptop next to the modem the nos. were good, when we moved it a meter or so away they dropped drastically. Another concern is that my TelMex nos. bounce around all the time, but I've never seen activity like this, they change every second sometimes dropping from 60mbs to 0.

I am also going to hook up the ethernet cable and verify the speed at the modem again. Does anyone know of a speed test that runs longer than a few seconds?

I want to add that I have no complaints against Ilox personnel, they have all been very friendly and professional and responsive. They assure me that they will take care of any issues, and  I believe them, it just may take a little time if a router doesn't solve the problem.

ILOX has been installed in our house for two weeks now.  Here are a few observations.

Internet access randomly drops out for short periods; usually only 30 to 90 seconds.  I can't comment on the frequency as we use it only an hour or two a day.  When  this occurs most devices will automatically switch to a different service if one is available.  You can prevent this by shutting down your old telmex system or telling your devices to "forget" the SSIDs.

ILOX blocks some streaming services; specifically Area-51.  We have overcome that through the use of what we consider to be a good VPN, Nord.

We will post more if we learn more.

Ok, I got into the modem page and it shows my optical level at -17.xx dbm.

With ethernet connection I got a fairly steady 65 + megs at the modem. I tested repeatedly over several test sites ,Fast, Ookla, ATT , couple of others, all about the  same except Speedof.me which was around 30.

I test around 45 megs 6 feet away on wifi.  If we connect  2 laptops that drops significantly. If we have one laptop on wifi and the other on ethernet the ethernet reading stays in the 60's, the wifi reading is pretty low.

econ man, Interesting about the default selection of "a/b/c" mode. Because your receiving device, while set to "n", is of course backwards compatible with earlier modes, so that does not mean it is actually receiving "n". I'd have to see that. I have no information on being able to change a greyed-out option.

I also can find no reviews on the WiFi quality of service from these ONUs, although one would have to assume that the WiFi is the same as everyone else's base strength. So dropping drastically over a few feet doesn't make sense.

My own speed test preference is speedof.me, which uses no flash or java for its animations, so it is more "pure". And testmy.net is another. Both sites give lengthy, useable downloads (it usually shows slower speeds than other tests, until you look at the "maximum" results).

You can buy a mesh router to connect to one of the Ilox's router ethernet ports. Then turn off the Ilox wi-fi.

You then have 2 or three boxes that can be placed for best reception of your devices and will have the latest wi-fi standards for all.

Telmex sells a TP Link system but you can get the same one at half the price on Amazon. I have been using it for about a year and haven't had have wi-fi issues unless Telmex decides to drop their signal, which they do all too often.

CG I probably didn't state my observation regarding the wireless properties completely. The n enable button wasn't greyed out, but there was a disable button there and that along with what Task Manager  reports makes me think it is connecting on n ( I hadn't had my coffee yet when I wrote that).

On another subject the Ilox techs recommended an ASUS AC 1300 router as the best. Amazon has it but Steren's site doesn't. Do you or anyone else have a router recommendation?

Bedbug, I stayed at a rental that had a Google mesh system and it dropped out frequently and I ended up connecting directly to the modem wifi (it's possible that  not turning off the modem wifi caused interference).  Do you recommend a particular brand?

I don't know about the Google Mesh, but I have read the comments about it to the same effect on the web.

I have the TP Link Deco 5. The only time it has lost connection in the time I have had it is when the Telmex router loses the internet. Otherwise it provides a pretty strong wi-fi signal through out my house.

One peculiarity is that some devices will only connect using to the mesh network using WPS, but this is pretty simple to do , since the app is on your phone. You can stand right next to the device  pick the mesh box closest to the device and push a button on app. You do not have to run around looking for switches on the actual boxes.

The reason I bought this particular model was it was inexpensive ( less than $180 shipped from the US) and I really needed help with my wi-fi. It was a low cost experiment to see if I could do anything about improving my signal, and it worked like a charm.

Google Mesh is one of the top-rated, but TP-Link makes excellent gear, especially in the last few years with WiFi. Cannot be purchased around here. A pricing of check shows these are both priced approximately 100% higher here than on mercadolibre than on amazon.com

39 minutes ago, econ man said:

On another subject the Ilox techs recommended an ASUS AC 1300 router as the best. Amazon has it but Steren's site doesn't. Do you or anyone else have a router recommendation?

At that price range, all of them are pretty good, actually. By the time you wade through the reviews and get up to the $400 US level, I find myself completely exhausted and just as unsure as when I started the research.

I do not understand the majority of what is written here but I am now concerned I will not receive WiFi downstairs. Currently with Telmex I do. My neighbors across the street can get it from me as well. Why is it that Telmex gives better WiFi? My speeds my be slow but powerful, I guess.

No, don't be concerned. These are just startup issues, and there can be all kinds of reasons for initial problems... including customers not being experts at it. Once a little research is undertaken on Google, it can be overwhelming and conflicting. In theory, you will be able to get exactly the same WiFi strength downstairs.

I have tested many brands of modem. Over the last four years, they all have improved their range and strength by approx. 20%. And that figure applies to basic WiFi technology no matter who is making the units. Trust me, TelMex hands out only the most basic.

Archived