Chapala.com Webboard

What should I bring from the US to assist getting US tv Lakeside?

I have read many posts about different ways to access US tv lakeside and I am afraid I am a bit confused:/ We will be moving down full time next month and I was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what I might bring from the US to make that at least somewhat possible when I get there? I can get a VPN with our Norton antivirus and if anyone knows if that is a good choice I would love to know. Should I bring a smart TV? Should I bring a Firestick or Roku or something else? My husband likes NFL and MeTV for his daily doses of Bonanza, The Rifleman and Hazel. (Gawd are we old or what?) I don't watch much tv but would like access to Netflix, YouTube and HBOgo. 

I apologize for asking questions that have been answered in various posts but I am a bit confused by all the information and if someone could direct me I would be eternally grateful! Happy to take you to dinner or have you over to dinner (I am a pretty darned good cook) or bring anything (as long is it is not too big) needed from the states:-) 

We will be driving down in 2 vehicles in late April if anyone needs something from the US that is not large. We brought down some paintings for some folks in PV our last trip and they took up 1/2 of our pickup bed and took 1/2 a day of our short vacation time to get them to the right place......my husband will never forgive me! We will need the space to bring down the household goods we have chosen to take with us. That said we could easily bring down documents or that sort of thing or anything small:-) Leaving from southern WA state on April 15 and expect to be Lakeside on the 20th.

We have Shaw TV and are very happy with it. There are a variety of packages available, especially for sports,etc. It is not free, and there is a local contact.

If you are lucky enough to get a landline with TelMex, you have access to ClaroVideo, a free streaming video service with lots and lots of US, BBC and Mexican TV from a few years ago. I am now watching the Good Wife, which I missed completely since we were living abroad.

There is also Netflix Mexico, which I would like to have but due to the location of our modem, we cannot get an adequate signal.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I have been a Shaw customer since 2005.

LOL:-) Angus just gave me information on one way to watch TV in English lakeside. That way his information it is not under "debate" here. I very much appreciate his reaching out!

Also thanks to cstone for the information she posted:-) 

4 hours ago, Susy Wilson said:

My husband likes NFL and MeTV for his daily doses of Bonanza, The Rifleman and Hazel. (Gawd are we old or what?) I don't watch much tv but would like access to Netflix, YouTube and HBOgo. 

Looking over the list of channels, MeTV is new to me. I believe Hulu has it but I not sure.  Also Hulu is US based so you need a VPN or dds server. 

Does anyone else know of MeTV on any IPTV?

Should I bring a smart TV?

You need to be care selecting a smart tv. I learned the hard way. Some brands, like Samsung, are limited to what apps can run on the tv.

5 minutes ago, cstone said:

Susy, You are most welcome. I watch You Tube, as well, and access to NetFlix Mexico is easy. Also consider Amazon Prime Mexico, for access to Amazon content.

Just know that there is a minor difference between the show selection on the Netflix and Amazon Prime US and Mexico.  The US can be accessed with a VPN or dds server but sometimes the transmission may be blocked. 

My husband likes NFL and MeTV for his daily doses of Bonanza, The Rifleman and Hazel. (Gawd are we old or what?) I don't watch much tv but would like access to Netflix, YouTube and HBOgo.

Again, talking about your list.  The only way I can see getting the NFL and HBO channels would be with an IPTV unless someone would know another way.  Different way to access an IPTV, android box, Firestick, app on smart tv...

Thanks for the info Mr. Tiny! Definitely have to have HBOgo so I can finish Game of Thrones! I will get it figured out:-) 

Archived