Chapala.com Webboard

Large rugs - Tonala?

Zeb

Can't answer Tonala.... but how large?  The guys that set up  most days on the carretera (rugs hanging from the tree branches etc. at top end of tianguis) will make any size rug you want, and can copy pretty much any design if they don't have what suits you.

Rugs are made in Oaxaca but delivery time is really pretty good.  I had one made about 4 years ago because needed very specific size/design and it came back exactly as ordered.

hi Zeb

If you want to skip the trip to Tonala, I suggest the Indigenous run shop on Colon in Ajijic - it is called Arbol Magico.  They have a good selection of authentic Oaxacan rugs on offer. They do not always have the really large ones, but you could ask them to have one brought in for you. They replenish their stock on a fairly regular basis.  Or if you really want to fall in love with Oaxacan rugs -  take a trip to Oaxaca City/Teotitlan de Valle  - Felipe Hernandez is a master weaver and makes all his own natural dyes.  He is a Zapotec native and has been weaving since he was 13. This family has been making rugs for four generations. His work is some of the finest in Mexico and he will tour you through his home/studio.  He speaks perfect English and runs a very reputable business. I have several of his rugs. They are a fraction of the price that you would pay in the US galleries where he shows them.

I don't have it on hand at the moment, but if you are interested, I will send you his contact info.

All the people from Teotitlan are zapotec and they all have been making rugs for generations including the family who makes the rugs at the Arbol Magico. .The very large rugs have to be ordered sometimes and that gives you the opportunity to pick the colors and the designs. If you want to see super large ones go to Teotitlan on Easter MOnday, they have a procession and at every corner they make a shelter with very large rugs for the saint ,, It is a good way to see a large display of the very large rugs and have great food as they give you food at every stop as well.

It is a fun way to shop. 

Guadalajara has rug stores including oriental rug stores in the Zapopan area.as well. unfortunately , I always make a mental note  when I go by a rug store and immediately forget where they are... 

Archived