Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Directions

I'm driving to Ajijic in May and crossing at Pharr/Reynosa.  Would greatly appreciate directions to Ajijic once I cross the border at Pharr/Reynosa and a decent motel to stop at and spend the night before continuing on to Ajijic.  Don't care for the Midway in Matehuala.  Thanks.

From Pharr: Rt 97 To 101 Ciudad Victoria, bypass (126?) to Rts 80&57 to San Luis Potosi, 80D to Macrolibramiento (bypasses Guadalajara) to 23 to Chapala. Follow sign to Ajijic as you approach Chapala, turning right at the end of that road.  You can stay in San Luis Potosi, if you cross the border early in the morning. If you cross later, you might choose to stay in Ciudad Victoria, at a hotel in centro, such as the Sierra Gorda or others on that square.

Follow the big green signs, as route number signs are spotty & often not very frequent.

Check your map for details. There are lots of hotels in SLP. Motels are cheaper, by the hour and designed for trysts. They are OK and sometimes cheaper than Hotels, but don't plan to leave one & return, as you might for dinner out after checking into a hotel.

I usually stay in San Luis Potosi.  Use Waze to get across the border and to find a hotel in SLP.  Do NOT go downtown in SLP--the traffic is awful, the hotels are very expensive and you will get lost easily.  Have reservations and use Waze to find the hotel.

We cross the border at Pharr right at first light and arrive in Ajijic between 5 and 5:30 PM.  We used to stop overnight but as the roads improved found it no longer necessary.  Use the west side San Luis Potosi bypass cuota, very fast and pretty scenic in parts too.  The only bad part of the drive is that horror of a ring road around Lagos de Moreno.  Fortunately it is short but it will rattle your chops.

Under no circumstance stop for anything between the border and the first stop outside of Ciudad Victoria.  San Fernando is dangerous!

Sundays are far and away the best day to make the Mexico run.  Fewer trucks and fewer traffic overall.  On the good stretches I drive around 110-120kph.  I fill up at Texas prices in Pharr, first gas and pot stop is west of Ciudad Victoria on the bypass, restaurant and gas there.  Second stop is north side of San Luis Potosi at a roadside truck stop "La Estacion", you can't miss it, big with railroad car and railroad decor.  Really neat, nice store there, lots of food options, very clean restaurants.

From there, home.

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

They are OK and sometimes cheaper than Hotels, but don't plan to leave one & return, as you might for dinner out after checking into a hotel.

In the almost 20 years of staying at  AutoHotels, that has NEVER been a problem. We always use the phone in the room to notify the office that we are going out for a while and will return. Never a problem.

Archived