Chapala.com Webboard

Suggested area of Lakeside for person without a car

Hola;

I currently have a guest who is wanting to rent here Lakeside and is hoping to do so without the need to buy a car. Besides the obvious Ajijic city center, where would you recommend? Also, is there any shot of her finding short term (six month) rental for $500-$750 USD in one of these areas? She is single and has no pets which helps. I can't give her rental advice since I purchased and am clueless about most of the areas outside my little La Floresta. She drew the short straw with who she got to help her out. 

For a pedestrian, walkability, ambiance, shopping, malecon, restaurants, clinics, and all other types of services: Definitely Chapala Centro within a few blocks of the mercado publico. 

We moved there, after trying Ajijic, for just those reasons. Stayed for a full 10 years and loved it.  Access to everywhere more distant is easy by Chapala bus, or by taxi.

28 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

For a pedestrian, walkability, ambiance, shopping, malecon, restaurants, clinics, and all other types of services: Definitely Chapala Centro within a few blocks of the mercado publico. 

We moved there, after trying Ajijic, for just those reasons. Stayed for a full 10 years and loved it.  Access to everywhere more distant is easy by Chapala bus, or by taxi.

....and if most of your shopping can be done between Chapala and, say, Walmart you’ll get to miss most of the traffic buildup going west.

You will not even need Walmart, with Soriana, the mercado publico, and several other groceries and tiendas so handy to you in Chapala centro. The Coppel department store, and various furniture and specialty shops are just the beginning, and are virtually unknown to much of the Ajijic crowd.

It's true that the buses here at Lakeside are very inexpensive & frequent.  However, it is often a big step up to enter & some drivers take off "like a rocket".  Exiting is also not always easy if the bus is crowded.  Luckily the very polite Mexican people will often give up their seat to someone older.  My advice to anyone considering using the buses as their main mode of transportation is ride them first & see how you manage.

Thank you, Shortstop. I am a not very tall woman of a certain age with the usual age related joint problems. When I was first here, I could (sort of) hop aboard the buses - now, I am not so hoppy. I live in Ajijic Centro and limp around the cobblestones. I still adore Ajijic and the home I own here but, in retrospect (which is always 20/20) Chapala might have been a better fit. I use taxis as we don't have a car.

It is much, much easier to walk around in Chapala centro, and most everything you might need is closer together, and on level ground. If in doubt, go to Chapala centro and spend a few hours, or an entire day, walking about. There are delightful places to visit, to rest, to snack, or to have a full meal, during your exploration. It is, after all, the 'hub' of the north shore of Lake Chapala, and the center of government and business for the entire municipality, of which Ajijic is just a tiny, unusual part.

So do I... San Antonio, Mirasol, lower Chula Vista, Riberas. Everything's easy from those places even Chapala if you're so inclined. Personally, I didn't like Chapala in 1996 and it still doesn't turn my crank. YMMV.

For old folks, and we all get older unless we don't, San Antonio, Mirasol, lower Chula Vista, and much of Riberas, all require a car to get around to everything you might need.  Yes, there are some conveniences, but we really liked having everything, and I mean everything, within just three blocks; and short blocks, at that.  Our location, at Calle Lopez Cotilla #265, gave us truly spectacular convenience, and the interior grounds were just shy of 1200 square meters of wonderful greenery, fruit trees and peacefulness. Loved it! Yes, inside parking for multiple cars, from two streets, was also helpful, especially when having guests.

4 minutes ago, Lily H said:

So we're trying to answer the OP's questions. 

These threads become resources for many other people besides the OP. It never hurts to have a complete picture. I was unprepared for the high step the first time I took a bus here. I was neither old nor feeble but found it a challenge. 

Chapala is a nice Mexican municipality but I can count on one hand the number of restaurants I would recommend a person eat at.  San Antonio and Riberas it takes both my hands and feet to count the good places.  Than you bring in Ajijic and you need higher math.  If you are walking, location of restaurants and the cinema's are of prime importance.  To me Chapala has little to offer.

Archived