Chapala.com Webboard

World's Best Bar-B-Que Oklahoma

rafterbr

When you think of Bar-B-Que you think of Kansas City, Texas, Georgia or one of the other southern states.  According to USA Today the number 1 ribs in America is Oklahoma Joe's in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the World Champion Bar-B-Que Pitmaster is Joe Davidson from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.    People who live in Oklahoma know of several rib places better and other outstanding Pitmasters.  In fact the people of Oklahoma have voted the Wild Horse Mountain Bar-B-Que as the best in the state.  This is just a shack out in the middle of no where and you have to know how to get there.  I have never found good Bar-B-Que Lakeside although I will admit I have not tried all of it.  People just don't take the time or care to prepare it.  It takes at least 12 to 16 hours to baste and smoke it properly.  It is not cooked so much as smoked tender.  Most people simply pressure cook it and smoke it for an hour or two. When I prepared it, my 16 ft. smoker had two fire boxes.  One for hickory wood and one for a fruit wood such as apple. TAKE THAT TEXAS.  GO OU

Everybody seems to love Ranger's. I found it to be average to less-than-average. Adelita's Ribs are tender, but tasteless. The Smoke House west of Ajijic was average to less-than-average; their pastrami was not what I would call pastrami. I've never found good bacon anywhere here, either.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Everybody seems to love Ranger's. I found it to be average to less-than-average. Adelita's Ribs are tender, but tasteless. The Smoke House west of Ajijic was average to less-than-average; their pastrami was not what I would call pastrami. I've never found good bacon anywhere here, either.

I agree with CG assessment on all 3.  I have heard people brag on all 3 and the only thing I can think of is these people have never had good bar-b-que.  I understand why the Mexicans do this as they have not had opportunity to taste the real thing. 

IF ADELITAS AND THE BREW PUB HAD A DECENT "REAL" BBQ SAUCE THAT ACTUALLY HAD AUTHENTIC BBQ FLAVOUR IT WOULD BE A GREAT AND  LONG OVERDUE ADDITION TO THE LAKESIDE FOOD SCENE.  THE QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF THEIR RIB SERVING CAN'T BE FAULTED................ IT'S JUST THE LACKLUSTRE SAUCE THAT KEEPS US AWAY!

IF AJIJIC TANGO ADDED REAL MESQUITE BBQ RIBS TO THEIR MENU THEY'D BE EVEN MORE BUSY THAN THEY ARE WITH LITTLE DOUBT!

I agree that the cook on the ribs is very, very good, but the meat has not been rubbed with anything either, so the whole meal needs more than just a bottled sauce. And if they are actually making their own sauce, they need a better recipe.

What has dumbfounded me for years down here, is the lack of interest in so many restaurant owners and cooks who don't care to improve upon their products and services. 

YouTube has thousands of excellent videos and recipes from experts in everything from Asian food, BBQ and... you name it. 

But I guess when the egos think they have it perfected and the people still come through the door, then why bother to make it better? 

It's a shame.

Then you get places like Cocinart, where the chef really knows how to cook a decent meal and mixes it up every week, which shows his true interest in the food side... but the service collapsed a couple of years ago, the waiters are snooty, the noise can be unbearable, and his business partner is blissfully unaware.

Meat and the preparation of the meat is very important but equally important is the sauce.  Lakeside I never tasted a decent sauce. I know NOB they would have no business.  Most good BBQ places have their own recipe for the sauce and they don't like to share it.  Of course in the south it starts with brown sugar.  I was able to hire a cook who had cooked at a good BBQ place so I was able to "borrow" the recipe and adapt it to my own requirements.  A common problem with a lot of sauces is they put to many things in it.  It needs to be simple.   I read one time where a restaurant was famous for it's ranch dressing.  It was so much in demand they started bottling and selling it.  Their secret, they bought a bottled ranch dressing and added water to it! 

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

Simple solution. Don't expect NOB BBQ SOB and don't expect SOB torta ahogada NOB.

A simple, enjoyable discussion about BBQ and once again, it's felt necessary to turn it into a growing **itshow. Last comment.

30 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's just unnecessary, isn't it?  How about "don't expect good eggs benedict south of the border"? I mean what difference does it make where you are? If a restaurant purports to offer something, they should know how to make it, and we stay away from those that don't. We don't need you telling this to us.

Also, re your comment on sauce: everybody has their preference. My own is slow-roasted pork for 6 to 8 hours in my own BBQ, covered with my own rub. No sauce needed. But I also make a great sauce, and sometimes I just like to add that, too.

This thread is all about wishing we could get some good stuff here, and perhaps a little hope that someone will reveal such a place... and that includes our opinions of who does and doesn't make it good. No one needs to be judged for that, or we might as well close this whole section of the Board.

Oh, it ok for you to make comments about other's postings?  I did not judge anyone like you just did. 

There are problems:

How to define "good barbecue"

Does it begin with a pig, or a bovine?

Must there be vinegar in the sauce?

Is a sauce needed, if the BBQ is good?

The argument never ends; especially among those who don't cook.

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

Simple solution. Don't expect NOB BBQ SOB and don't expect SOB torta ahogada NOB.

The best torta ahogada I have ever had is at this restaurant near Vancouver. Still spicier/hotter than anything I have tasted here, and still only $10 Cdn - quite the deal for so called expensive Vancouver.

http://www.taqueriajalisco.ca/index.html

13 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

There are problems:

How to define "good barbecue"

Does it begin with a pig, or a bovine?

Must there be vinegar in the sauce?

Is a sauce needed, if the BBQ is good?

The argument never ends; especially among those who don't cook.

All we're talkin' about is where to get good BBQ. If me 'n raftrbr agree, that's all and that's that.

Archived