Chapala.com Webboard

Infrared Saunas

Anybody know if there are any Infrared (FAR) Saunas available for use or rental sessions?

Infrared Saunas

Infrared saunas use infrared panels instead of conventional heat to easily penetrate human tissue, heating up your body before heating up the air.

An infrared sauna also can operate at a lower temperature (usually between 120˚F and 140˚F) than a traditional sauna, which is typically between 150˚F and 180˚F.

The supposed benefits of using an infrared sauna are similar to those experienced with a traditional sauna. These include:

• better sleep

• relaxation

• detoxification

• weight loss

• relief from sore muscles

• relief from joint pain such as arthritis

• clear and tighter skin

• improved circulation

• help for people with chronic fatigue syndrome

These different levels represent the different sizes in infrared wavelengths and refer to the intensity of the treatment. Most people find that:

• near-infrared levels are best for wound healing and increased immune function

• middle-infrared levels are ideal for increasing circulation and promoting muscle relaxation

• far-infrared levels are used primarily for detoxification purposes

I know there is an occasional sweat lodge here  Lakeside. If you don't mind a bunch of naked old people chanting and burning sacred herbs. I have used infrared sauna up north, I much prefer the traditional steam room with a proper steam generator, not hot rocks. And the benefits including detoxification are real. Your skin is you body's largest organ, and one of its main functions is to eliminate toxins through sweat. We put all the load on our kidney system which wears them out. If your sweat tastes salty, or burns your eyes, you are not sweating enough. True sweat is tasteless. In the case of brain diseases, especially cardio induced dementia, sweat and workouts are of great benefit. As they say "use it or lose it". We have veins in our brains a quarter size of a human hair. If they get clogged, or atrophied, you will lose a lots of brain power.

50 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I,m thinking how does a frugal Scotsman recreate a Jacuzzi tub? I,m thinking a big pack of fizzy alkaseltsers and a dash of Mr. Bubbles bath foam, purchased on sale at a Dollar store. Am I close?

No, just FOS.

I suspect that gullible people's money tends to disappear more so from intoxication than detoxification. I just got liver panel blood tests back and my liver appears to be fine, but not from lack of trying to tank it!  I think detox is something a lot of my friends could use, but then I might not have any friends left!

I went to a homeopathic doctor near Jocotopec who put me on a seed and vegan diet with some odd suggestions like soaking my groin in a basin of very cold water 30 minutes 3x per day, which was a non-starter for me. I'm good with Angus' suggestion of working in the yard and figure the heated pool is as cold as I want for the groin. But, when looking at the functions of so many of our organs, detox is a primary function and our skin is our largest organ. I believe there is merit in the concept of getting toxins out of your body. 

The doc who suggested the infrared sauna to me believes it it so much that he bought one for his office NoB and lets his patients use it for free as long as the patients manage the schedule and do not take time away from his office staff.

image.png.e2d5a0fd4420d843bbc1f985b002be58.png

Aqua - if you are measuring your liver function, you should also get an ultrasound to see if it is enlarged. In the meantime, maybe try the thermal mineral water soaks, and one of the spas has a sort of steam room, which looks kind of hokey, but there you go. I haven't priced them out, but also the steam boxes you see professional boxers use to get their weight down before weighin. Then there are steam showers, which look wonderful, but they soak up 220 volt power.

Thanks Chillin. Yes, I have been to the thermal springs in San Juan Cosala with the different temperature hot tubs, hot tubs full of seaweed, flowers, mud, what have you and and rather like them. The steam cave is kind of novel, too. I have a picture of the first time my youngest son came to visit several years ago there, when he was 17, and we are both covered in mud head to toe from one of the hot tubs. Fond memory.  I just need to muster up the fortitude to drive there. I don't even like going into Ajijic from Riberas because of the traffic. 

Archived