Chapala.com Webboard

Driving From Alberta Canada

Simon

Driving From Alberta Canada

I have tried already searching this forum for this topic and I have searched other places but their info is dated.

Has anyone done it recently and do you have any advice such as can you get permits needed online before leaving to speed things up when you get to the border? Mexican Insurance etc, car entry permit Toll charges. It certainly will be a lot more expensive to drive but having a car here does have its advantages especially if you are housed a bit outside Chapala or Ajijic.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Others can tell you about getting permits online and using insurance services such as Lewis and Lewis, but I have an option by living close to the border.  And that is that I go across the night before on my empty car and do all my paperwork beforehand. Early the next morning I just drive on through.

Hi Simon, my wife and I drove from Alberta to Chapala about 5 years ago.  At that time (and this is still true) we could and did buy Mexican Insurance online.

However, once you leave the “Hassle Free Zone”, a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit was required for the car.  I think that is still true.  The government office where that could be acquired was not right at the border.  We crossed at Lukeville/Sonoyta.  There was another checkpoint over near Caborca where we stopped and bought the TVIP.  On a 3 year old vehicle it was about $50 fee plus a deposit of $400 and the deposit was returned when we returned the TVIP on the way back north.  Check the current details, but I would search on TVIP and Sonora (the State) for example.

We stayed on the toll road most of the way.  Tolls added up.  Maybe $200 total.  Many toll locations were cash only and required small denominations.   

TVIP was the big thing.

Fears were over-blown.

Average speed is likely a little lower in Mexico as the roads aren’t as good so plan less distance per day than you might in the US.  I think we did the Mexico portion in about 2.5 days,

Below find the websites to obtain online, prior to leaving home, both the car permit, TIP, and a Tourist Card.

Car Insurance can also be purchased online prior to leaving. Lewis and Lewis is one that was mentioned and another is San Xavier which I have used in addition.

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#    click for English

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

We drove down in December from WA state, not Canada, but we chose to do the TIP and Tourist Visa at the border because our time frame was a little fluid. It was quite easy, took about 40 minutes at the Nogales crossing. We did purchase our insurance online prior to departing. We were only going for a few weeks on that trip but purchased the full year of insurance instead of just for the time we would be there on that trip because the difference was only about $80 more for all year and we are going back permanently next month.  

The drive in Mexico was wonderful....we enjoyed the whole trip. Never felt unsafe and we cannot wait to get back:-) Feel free to private message me if I can help at all!

Archived