Chapala.com Webboard

the LGBT nightlife

"Lake Chapala" is just that, a lake. It is surrounded by towns with names of their own.  In most cases, the sidewalks are 'rolled up' quite early. "Nightlife", as you may know it in the USA or Canada, is rather rare.  The typical expat is between 65 and 90, so you can imagine the number you might meet on the streets after dinner.  What you seek, might be found in certain 'neighborhoods' in Guadalajara at night. I wouldn't know, for sure. 

In Chapala and Ajijic, LGBT nightlife is almost non-existant, but just about everywhere is very gay friendly.  And there is not much in the way of antros and discotecas here.  But there are plenty of small bars and cantinas here where you can frequently see gay couples intermingling with everybody else.  This area is pretty gay friendly.  Now, on the other hand, Guadalajara is viewed by many as a gay Mecca, a somewhat Mexican version of San Francisco, full of gay nightlife, with over 40 gay antros or discotecas, with most being located in el centro histórico.

12 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

"Lake Chapala" is just that, a lake. It is surrounded by towns with names of their own.  In most cases, the sidewalks are 'rolled up' quite early. "Nightlife", as you may know it in the USA or Canada, is rather rare.  The typical expat is between 65 and 90, so you can imagine the number you might meet on the streets after dinner.  What you seek, might be found in certain 'neighborhoods' in Guadalajara at night. I wouldn't know, for sure. 

I can't speak for anywhere else, but in Chapala, restaurants are typically open till eleven and bars till two am ... It's true there is no "gay' hangout, just lots of people hangouts where we don't get too hung up on labels.   For full disclosure, its not perfect, when a local Cantina was purchased by a gay man, a few of the older guys refused to go back in there, and once a drunk shouted some shitty comments to him, but for the most part there is acceptance 

The group "Kinsy Sicks" is a gay satire/singing group that has visited lakeside for many years. They will be at the Spotlight in San Antonio i believe on March 17th and 18th. They are very funny and our daughter and her friends intend to go. One of the founding members is Jeff Manabat, who is a high school friend of our daughter. You may have seen his twin brother, Jason in a Netflix movie,"Lilihammer" where he played a Phillipino houseboy. You're sure to meet other compatable people at this event...it should be fun.

Archived