Chapala.com Webboard

Driving into Mexico in a Truck with a Motorcycle in the bed

Friends of ours are planning to drive down for a Visit/Vacation. The husband wants to also bring his Motorcycle to go on some rides with my Husband.

He is going to bring his Motorcycle in the bed of his truck.

Is this possible?

Is there a particular  process for this?

I assume it would be like someone in an RV with a Motorcycle strapped to the back or a Towed Vehicle. How do the RVers do it?

Thanks so much for any help any of you could provide. 

I would like to add that I do love the fact that we have this site and the people that share their knowledge and experiences here with us. It has helped us countless times in unique situations.

Thank You all Ajijicians and Chapalatonions (yes I made those up)

This should be a thread of its own but.........

but we really should come up with something unique for our area. I know there is Tapatios and I've heard names about other areas. I've had people jokingly say Gringolandia

Two vehicles will require two TVIPs.  One person cannot hold more than one TVIP.   The husband can have one title/registration in his name for one vehicle to obtain the TVIP for that vehicle.  The wife will need the title/registration for the second vehicle in her name.  Depending on age of vehicle the deposit on your credit card will vary $200 to 400 for each vehicle. 

Years ago I used the current state vehicle registration docs. Some crossings will accept state registration and others may ask for the title.  Bring both.  If there is a lien on a vehicle and you choose to use the title, they may ask for a letter of permission from lender to take the vehicle across the border.  

Insurance is required and the liability limits vary state to state so go for the max.  Shop around.  They probably will not ask to see proof of insurance at the border but if you are in an accident then you will need to have it.

Also passport and drivers license names must match.  

Or you can get your TVIP online,  https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Always note on the FMM/TVIP forms that you will be in Mexico for the max allowed 180 days just in case you get delayed, then you will not forfeit the deposits.  Do not lose the paperwork or you will not receive your deposit refund when you exit Mexico.  

If the moto is an unplated dirt bike, you could possibly bring it in under "remolque" on one TVIP since it will not be ridden on public roads.  Depends on the official on duty that day.

You should confirm the above info as these TVIP requirements are known to change overnite.  Good luck, 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:43 PM, Kiko said:

Two vehicles will require two TVIPs.  One person cannot hold more than one TVIP.   The husband can have one title/registration in his name for one vehicle to obtain the TVIP for that vehicle.  The wife will need the title/registration for the second vehicle in her name.  Depending on age of vehicle the deposit on your credit card will vary $200 to 400 for each vehicle. 

Years ago I used the current state vehicle registration docs. Some crossings will accept state registration and others may ask for the title.  Bring both.  If there is a lien on a vehicle and you choose to use the title, they may ask for a letter of permission from lender to take the vehicle across the border.  

Insurance is required and the liability limits vary state to state so go for the max.  Shop around.  They probably will not ask to see proof of insurance at the border but if you are in an accident then you will need to have it.

Also passport and drivers license names must match.  

Or you can get your TVIP online,  https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Always note on the FMM/TVIP forms that you will be in Mexico for the max allowed 180 days just in case you get delayed, then you will not forfeit the deposits.  Do not lose the paperwork or you will not receive your deposit refund when you exit Mexico.  

If the moto is an unplated dirt bike, you could possibly bring it in under "remolque" on one TVIP since it will not be ridden on public roads.  Depends on the official on duty that day.

You should confirm the above info as these TVIP requirements are known to change overnite.  Good luck, 

Thanks so much for that very informative post. That was a ton of typing. I feel like I owe you lunch or something. Thanks for the link also I will dig in.

I don't understand how RVers do it if they have no spouse. I've seen so many who tow a daily driver or they have a small street legal motorcycle across the back bumper. I know they do it so when they get somewhere that have something to get around other than the RV. I thought there must be some way. But they must have a person for every vehicle? They should change that for certain reaso s like what we are discussing. His wife does not drive and has no license  so I guess its not going to work. The bike he is bringing is small. A 250 so he is not going that all the way here  and then back hahahaha not at his age anyway... Well I'll be breaking the bad news. My husband just bought a Yamaha and was so looking forward to riding with his buddy. Hmmmm oh well... 

But thanks again for such an in depth reply. I really do appreciate the time you took to write all that..I gave you a click trophy but that just isn't enough. I really would treat you to lunch or something send me private message. Again thanks so much

There is Motorcycle repair shop in Chapala on the West side of Hidalgo, fairly close and across from the PEMEX station..Always a bunch of moto's there , you might want to stop and check if they will rent one for a few days..A spanish speaker would be helpful..

"I don't understand how RVers do it if they have no spouse."

It has been a long time since I had a motorhome and on it was a ten-year import permit. My memory says that the permit does not count against the one permit limitation and a toad (towed car) can be permitted also by a single owner.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:27 PM, chicamysterious said:

Friends of ours are planning to drive down for a Visit/Vacation. The husband wants to also bring his Motorcycle to go on some rides with my Husband.

He is going to bring his Motorcycle in the bed of his truck.

Is this possible? Yes

Is there a particular  process for this?  Same standard process as entering with your vehicle.  Aduana adds the VIN# of the motorcycle to the Temporary Import Permit (TIP) for the pickup truck.  I have done this with an ATV in the bed of the pickup.  Both the moto and the truck have to exit at the same time to get the TIP cancelled.

I assume it would be like someone in an RV with a Motorcycle strapped to the back or a Towed Vehicle. How do the RVers do it?  An RV is not the same process - they are issued a 10 yr. permit so is a unique TIP.

Thanks so much for any help any of you could provide. 

I would like to add that I do love the fact that we have this site and the people that share their knowledge and experiences here with us. It has helped us countless times in unique situations.

Thank You all Ajijicians and Chapalatonions (yes I made those up)

This should be a thread of its own but.........

but we really should come up with something unique for our area. I know there is Tapatios and I've heard names about other areas. I've had people jokingly say Gringolandia

Answers to your questions above.

^^^  I think the issue with Aduana is if the ATV in the back of the truck had a license plate or not.  When I crossed with a plated dirt bike, I removed the plate and lights from the bike before I crossed into Mexico.  I explained the dirt bike was for offroad use only.  I still had to do a lot of 'splaining to get Aduana to put the moto on one TVIP as remolque.  That was about 8 years ago at Colombia bridge N of Laredo so maybe the rules have changed.  

On a sidebar,  there is about a 30 mile stretch of road as you leave Colombia bridge and enter into Mexico that has some criminal history.  When I returned the truck and bike North I had a problem on that stretch of road.  I would not recommend that route for anyone in a truck with bike in back based on my experience.  YMMV

On 3/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, Tomas said:

There is Motorcycle repair shop in Chapala on the West side of Hidalgo, fairly close and across from the PEMEX station..Always a bunch of moto's there , you might want to stop and check if they will rent one for a few days..A spanish speaker would be helpful..

I have actually been there. When My husband was looking to buy a used bike. They said they only repair. There is another place down the street he is past the oxxo near the Guad Pharmacy.

But thanks for the info.

I still dont see how RVers do it. Surely they all dont have 2 people. One to claim each vehicle. And The names have to be on the title also. Surely every RVer isnt setup for that.

5 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

I have actually been there. When My husband was looking to buy a used bike. They said they only repair. There is another place down the street he is past the oxxo near the Guad Pharmacy.

But thanks for the info.

I still dont see how RVers do it. Surely they all dont have 2 people. One to claim each vehicle. And The names have to be on the title also. Surely every RVer isnt setup for that.

Con dinero, baila el perro.  A dicho Mexicans say when dealing with Aduana.

The Ten Year RV Permit is a special Importada, specifically for RVs. Those with "toads" (towed cars) are included in that category. It does not apply, and has nothing to do with a typical tourist or Residente Temporal entering Mexico with a single vehicle.

A motorcycle, by the way, is considered a vehicle by engine displacement, and if it is a vehicle, it will require a separate owner/driver/importer, unless it is the 'toad' for a motorhome under the special RV rules.

Archived