Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX TV package???

I was not aware that this was being offered until I read about it on another thread here:

"As far as TV is concerned, I am not impressed. Oh they offer 97 analog channels, 24 digital and 12 HD. The lady at the office, was very helpful, but did not speak English and she had had no idea how many of these channels offered were either in English or if they offered secondary audio channels in English."

I did I did not see any more info there about this except some pricing. Is there a website with the details on this, or does anyone here have more info? Gracias

4 minutes ago, ibbocat said:

I suspect most people signed up for the high-speed internet to make themselves independent of TV services (cable cutters)

Is this not exactly what a service like this would provide (cable cutters), In my case DISH TV cutter? The proof is in the pudding of what channels and programming will be available with their package.  

I would not be interested in iLox TV because of the limitations of their programming. But, with the higher speed, streaming TV on your computer will be a piece of cake. The simplest way to connect a laptop and a TV is via HDMI cable and they are available in various lengths at Steren's…. assuming, of course, that both pieces of equipment have an HDMI port. Or you can "cast" to a device attached to your TV from your laptop. I know boodiddleysquat about those.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-tools-to-watch-tv-on-your-computer/

What matters is what channels you want. Some box with thousands of channels that you don't watch is no good.  

Some options depend on what TV you have (smart - non smart, if smart, android or not)

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Very easy to pick and chose and stream these days.  I personally think the days cable and satellite are numbered unless they realize that people neither want nor want to pay for all those junk channels.

What they charge for the service is criminal. 

A very tidy and flexible arrangement for streaming and controlling video programming (once you've resolved any international skulduggery re your relevant subscriptions) is to exploit the power and platform of one or more PCs (inc. iOS, Linux, Android etc.) using a Bluetooth keyboard with integrated touchpad to run your computer(s) which can then be kept out of the way while remaining attached by HDMI cable(s) directly to large video screen(s)  See: https://www.amazon.com/slp/bluetooth-keyboard-with-touchpad/8kf84dv8jfkv77c   This is a standard Home Theater PC approach. 4K requires a recent CPU or strong video card, plus ilox-class service (one hopes). 

Personally, I use two or three matching Sandy Bridge era laptops I bought used because they're small and modular, build like tanks, are configured to purpose, and I don't move them. Using a free MS program such as Mouse Without Borders (Windows), with one such keyboard you can seamlessly control up to three computers (just pretend you've got one wide screen) each with its' own video monitor configured for some particular purpose, eg., one computer has fast graphics driving Windows on a large high quality screen with its' link to a 5 speaker audio system, another is stuffed with RAM and drives more typical browser based work with a smaller 40in HDMI screen closer (but more than a meter away - very freeing, imo.)  This requires that the computers be on the same home network/router, and one keyboard can be operating  (via Bluetooth) for each computer, controlling all the PCs (so I have a second keyboard/touchpad by my bed so I can conveniently check forex rates and other random tragedies in the middle of the night. 

5 minutes ago, suegarn said:

What I'd like to find out, is do they offer the regular network channels (CBS, NBC, ABC)?  I see Fox listed on there, but not the others.

I use http://watch.ustvnow.com/guide for those channels.  It is more expensive than most IPTV but the plan I use includes a on-line DVR.  If you don't have a smart tv, you will have to use some of the methods mentioned above.

18 minutes ago, utilitus said:

A very tidy and flexible arrangement for streaming and controlling video programming (once you've resolved any international skulduggery re your relevant subscriptions) is to exploit the power and platform of one or more PCs (inc. iOS, Linux, Android etc.) using a Bluetooth keyboard with integrated touchpad to run your computer(s) which can then be kept out of the way while remaining attached by HDMI cable(s) directly to large video screen(s)  See: https://www.amazon.com/slp/bluetooth-keyboard-with-touchpad/8kf84dv8jfkv77c   This is a standard Home Theater PC approach. 4K requires a recent CPU or strong video card, plus ilox-class service (one hopes). 

Personally, I use two or three matching Sandy Bridge era laptops I bought used because they're small and modular, build like tanks, are configured to purpose, and I don't move them. Using a free MS program such as Mouse Without Borders (Windows), with one such keyboard you can seamlessly control up to three computers (just pretend you've got one wide screen) each with its' own video monitor configured for some particular purpose, eg., one computer has fast graphics driving Windows on a large high quality screen with its' link to a 5 speaker audio system, another is stuffed with RAM and drives more typical browser based work with a smaller 40in HDMI screen closer (but more than a meter away - very freeing, imo.)  This requires that the computers be on the same home network/router, and one keyboard can be operating  (via Bluetooth) for each computer, controlling all the PCs (so I have a second keyboard/touchpad by my bed so I can conveniently check forex rates and other random tragedies in the middle of the night. 

At first I thought that this was a prank post, but now I realize that he/she is serious (I think)! I only recently got a smart phone, simply because everyone here uses Whats app, have an old fashioned desktop (with tower), and I am sure that most 10 year olds have more tech savvy than I. I also fall within the average age group of the expat community here and many may have more knowledge of technology than me, but I think that most are just looking to get your average, standard NOB television programming here cheaply, easily and without a lot of workarounds, gadgets and constant fiddling. When I was at the new ILOX office to sign up for the service I was not aware of this option and the nice young lady simply offered the 2 speeds options (I chose the 30m). As a businessman/marketing guy I would strongly suggest to management there that some sales training be done to be able to offer the full spectrum of their services and maybe some bilingual employees be hired since I am sure at, least initially, our community will constitute a large percentage of their business. Just as an aside, I was asked to sign every page of a 12 page, single spaced double side agreement (In Spanish). I asked her in my broken Spanish "am I signing away my life?"...no response. And then "how many trees died to create this paperwork"...again no response or facial expression change. Maybe she did not understand my bad Spanish but good customer service goes a long way. 

I can't wait to get rid of my expensive ($75 a month) unreliable DISH TV. Anyone want to buy 2 satellite dishes, one about 12" and the other about 6'?  

28 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Anyone want to buy 2 satellite dishes, one about 12" and the other about 6'?  

If we were up north, we could use them to slide down a hill covered with snow. haha

6 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Of course i meant to say 12 feet and 6 feet...What an eyesore in my neighborhood (that's where the Gringo Loco lives)

You could use them for patio coverage/shade. Or rain water collection. 

If you think of stucco and the mesh needed for it to grab onto, then think of the mesh in a satellite dish the same way. Turned over, after applying a fiberglass mix to both sides will provide shade and/or a "pond". We filled ours with various coloured stones and crystals, plopped on a water fountain circulator and had a great pond.

Picture r.jpg

15 hours ago, suegarn said:

What I'd like to find out, is do they offer the regular network channels (CBS, NBC, ABC)?  I see Fox listed on there, but not the others.

Those are USA chanels. No Mexican cable company would pay for the rights for the limited interest. You will find Fox, MSNBC, and Bloombergn and CNN international. Why? For hotels.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Those are USA chanels. No Mexican cable company would pay for the rights for the limited interest. You will find Fox, MSNBC, and Bloombergn and CNN international. Why? For hotels.

Why would hotels want Fox over the other networks?

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Fox news channel, not the fox entertainment you see on a local station

According to the channel guide with Ilox, it shows three Fox sports channels, one Fox news channel, and the regular Fox entertainment network channel as well.

Archived