Chapala.com Webboard

Temporary Medical Insurance

Herman

Hi. I’m looking for someone to share how they did this. 

We are retiring in Ajijic in May. Driving from California with a temporary visa. 

We need medical insurance from the time we drive across the border until we settle in and purchase insurance. Is there insurance that would cover us for those few weeks. 

Thank you

I would try a local (California) agent; if you have pre-existing insurance in California check the policy, there may be a travel component OR it could cover you in MX. Health care is relatively inexpensive here - GP visit  +/- $600 pesos which you don't generally use insurance for.  There is no co-pay on meds here. Took me two years before I got health insurance and that is only for accidents or catastrophic situations, everything else is out of pocket. 
If you have an accident in your car, then your vehicle insurance should cover that (but you should check about whether your coverage extends to MX).

Travel insurance is a very good idea... Be sure to get Mexican coverage on your auto as stateside insurance companies normally do not extend coverages into Mexico... Recommend Lewis and Lewis out of California... They write policies for Qualitas, a Mexican insurance company...

7 hours ago, WideSky said:

I would try a local (California) agent; if you have pre-existing insurance in California check the policy, there may be a travel component OR it could cover you in MX. Health care is relatively inexpensive here - GP visit  +/- $600 pesos which you don't generally use insurance for.  There is no co-pay on meds here. Took me two years before I got health insurance and that is only for accidents or catastrophic situations, everything else is out of pocket. 
If you have an accident in your car, then your vehicle insurance should cover that (but you should check about whether your coverage extends to MX).

You MUST have Mexican car insurance IN Mexico. Depending on where you cross, you can buy it at the border. We did in Laredo. American or Canadian car insurance is not valid in Mexico. Online purchase was not available when we crossed but I'm sure it is now.

As for health insurance, get travel health insurance to get you here safely. I buy health insurance online for my visits to Canada to cover me for the two weeks that I will be there.

In any case, for both car insurance in Mexico and for travel health insurance, they will send the policy via e-mail which you print off and carry with you.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:53 PM, Herman said:

Hi. I’m looking for someone to share how they did this. 

We are retiring in Ajijic in May. Driving from California with a temporary visa. 

We need medical insurance from the time we drive across the border until we settle in and purchase insurance. Is there insurance that would cover us for those few weeks. 

Thank you

Do you have insurance now? If so, would it cover a possible emergency in Mexico ( and travel to) until you can get coverage here?

That may be all you need.

You definitely need auto insurance in Mexico as others have said. And travel insurance is the most practical way to get medical insurance for your drive down and until you get insurance in place down here on a more long term bases. You may have some coverage in Mexico if you still have U.S. health insurance but make sure you understand exactly what it will do and what it will not do for you in Mexico. Even if you have coverage from your  U.S. insurance you may have to pay out of pocket in Mexico and file a claim for reimbursement.

Also, while you are driving down you will have "some" coverage while on the Cuotas (toll roads). Not a substitute for any of the above but keep your receipts when you pay your tolls.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived