Chapala.com Webboard

The Real Marigold on Tour

Last year a film crew arrived in Ajijic to do an episode of that TV show, and it played on the BBC last night.

image.png.76f7a76f9edeb87ca5247c3049f356b9.png

Here is a link to a synopsis: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3954709/krankies-ian-janette-mexico-bbc-one-real-marigold-tour/

It can be downloaded via torrent sites.

Hmmm...I felt like it was a "parallel Ajijic" to the one I have lived in for 4 years. Maybe I just don't get out enough, or hang in the right circles. That Ajijic is not one I would move to, though I am sure it is a good fit for a lot of folks.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Last year a film crew arrived in Ajijic to do an episode of that TV show, and it played on the BBC last night.

Here is a link to a synopsis: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3954709/krankies-ian-janette-mexico-bbc-one-real-marigold-tour/

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is the film some of my friends are in that was filmed most of the yeat in bits and pieces. Bon

Things change, places change and people change. Would I like to live back in the Beaver Valley just outside of Thornbury, Ontario now? It was peaceful, quiet and serene. But, I also had to drive an hour without traffic to get groceries, or go to a Doctor, or go to the movies, or go to a theatre, or go to the bank. Tradeoffs. It's all about tradeoffs and convenience. I'm happy where I am and at the age I am.

Too funny. If you had been dropped into the Lakeside of 23 years ago, you wouldn't have stayed either. Boooorrrrrrrring! You would have high tailed it to San Miguel de Allende just like I did.

It was May of 1997 that Rod introduced internet lakeside. It was dialup at 28.8 bits per second down. I arrived in October and signed up. I was so happy. Yet today the slowest speed offered by Ilox is 30 megabits per second.(which I think is 30,000,000 bits per second)

Then another big change. On Feb 21st 2001, all of a sudden my home town TV stations from up north became available lakeside from then Star Choice, now called Shaw Direct.

There have been so many changes over the years. In the old days we needed electric generators because of all of the electrical outages. And we needed big aljibes or water storage tanks because, there would often be water outages lasting several days.  Oh, to phone Joco from Ajijic was long distance and we were charged by the minute.. I could go on and on.

We are living in a new world down here with major changes happening on a regular basis. I am one happy camper.

Oh, I could complain about the traffic, but I am not in any big hurry :)  I love it here

2 minutes ago, johanson said:

It was May of 1997 that Rod introduced internet lakeside. It was dialup at 28.8 bits per second down. I arrived in October and signed up. I was so happy. Yet today the slowest speed offered by Ilox is 30 megabits per second.(which I think is 30,000,000 bits per second)

Then another big change. On Feb 21st 2001, all of a sudden my home town TV stations from up north became available lakeside from then Star Choice, now called Shaw Direct.

There have been so many changes over the years. In the old days we needed electric generators because of all of the electrical outages. And we needed big aljibes or water storage tanks because, there would often be water outages lasting several days.  Oh, to phone Joco from Ajijic was long distance and we were charged by the minute.. I could go on and on.

We are living in a new world down here with major changes happening on a regular basis. I am one happy camper.

Oh, I could complain about the traffic, but I am not in any big hurry :)  I love it here

Seriously Pete you are enjoying the best of both world, you come and go with regularity,,,,,something the majority of "us" can not afford

Hey Lakeside;

Yes life has treated my well. However, I guess what many folks didn't know was that I was working part time up north and when down here, I wrote Tech Talk for the Guadalajara Reporter and made $40 US per month (free internet) working at LagunaNet and I loved it.  Oh and I would buy a new car once every 15 years or so.

I have just finished watching the UTube ...firstly I could not understand the characters humor....as if they were visiting a Zoo.......

I must be sleeping under a rock because I never realized the "excessive" Penthouse Entertaining that goes on and on and on...I wonder if these are the same invitees who had a GOFUNDME to met their medical expenses

Why was  Chapala left off , Chat to the folks who support the American Legion.... and  I think the TV audience  would have heard and seen a more balanced picture of Lakeside expats....or not???

Seriously the people here who vilify what is going on NOB (politically wise) and think they have escaped a unbalanced life style...Think again....For me this show has been an eye opener.... and shows the vast divide within the foreign community of the have's and the have not's.......  

It is not the cost or the closing time  - it is the attitude. Such a fancy pants piece on Ajijic but where the hell are the Mexicans? Where are the actual people who live here? Who are these people in this video? When I go to parties, I am encouraged to bring a dish and maybe my own drink, I have (holy MOG!) never been offered a Botox treatment.  It reminds me of my dearly departed) older brother who advised : "Never go to a bar offering a free tattoo with five beers. " But, then, we are/were (obviously) peasants.

35 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I have just finished watching the UTube ...firstly I could not understand the characters humor....as if they were visiting a Zoo.......

I must be sleeping under a rock because I never realized the "excessive" Penthouse Entertaining that goes on and on and on...I wonder if these are the same invitees who had a GOFUNDME to met their medical expenses

Why was  Chapala left off , Chat to the folks who support the American Legion.... and  I think the TV audience  would have heard and seen a more balanced picture of Lakeside expats....or not???

Seriously the people here who vilify what is going on NOB (politically wise) and think they have escaped a unbalanced life style...Think again....For me this show has been an eye opener.... and shows the vast divide within the foreign community of the have's and the have not's.......  

I agree with your last sentence, lakeside7. The Real Marigold actors were certainly not shown what it's like for the average Lakeside resident. I was hoping to see more of them doing the things we all do here, like walking along the malecon, having coffee at the plaza and chatting with friends, and shopping at the tianguis. Most of us have never had the opportunity to attend penthouse parties or 'members-only' nights at the theatre.

All I can say is I am glad this video is not my reality ... not now and not 13 years ago.  Yes, things have changed here.  Change happens everywhere, but we still enjoy most of the same friends (those that have not passed away as there have been some), and those friends include a mix of nationalities which most definitely include Mexicans.  To me, what we saw was not the normal reality except maybe for a few among us and they are all welcome to their reality as I am sure they would say to me about mine.  If this was what living here was all about we would be gone in a minute.

12 hours ago, suegarn said:

I agree with your last sentence, lakeside7. The Real Marigold actors were certainly not shown what it's like for the average Lakeside resident. I was hoping to see more of them doing the things we all do here, like walking along the malecon, having coffee at the plaza and chatting with friends, and shopping at the tianguis. Most of us have never had the opportunity to attend penthouse parties or 'members-only' nights at the theatre.

Agree about the background locations selected for their visit to Mexico and the lack of authenticity and perspective of our community was disappointing. I need to remember, however, this program is NOT a travelogue of the places these Brits visit in each episode. Instead, it's a third-year spinoff show showcasing eight (supposedly well-known) British actors, who are randomly paired off to visit different locales. Each episode focuses on the four, and their interactions, and the location settings merely are settings and most were selected by the producers. The cast was here for several days, and did see so much more than what made the cut of the footage. It's a good thing we are in "Central America" so our friends and family won't confuse that retirement haven on a lake with where we happily call home.

Archived