Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a car as a tourist

Zvi

Puerto Vallarta is in Jalisco, and you will need a residence visa, as I understand it, along with a CURP and RFC, which seem to be increasingly required for governmental transactions of many kinds, including the medical programs.

I have had clients from Puebla, Cuernavaca, Guadalajara, etc who come to San Miguel who are tourists and obtain a Guanajuato state driver's license and register their car here in San Miguel.

In both Jalisco and Nayarit a tourist is not eligible for a state driver's license.

www.soniadiaz.mx

https://www.facebook.com/www.soniadiaz.mx

Sonia,

What happens to the visitor visa holder if he is involved in an at-fault accident when the car is registered in his name from Guanajuato but he lives in Jalisco where he isn't allowed to get the registration?

What would the police do? 

Thanks!

For the naysayers, look at all those who pretend their cars are nationalized and who have plates and phony registration with CDMX plates. You did not and can not register your vehicle in Jalisco. And, I dare you to take your car to Aduana at the GDL airport and show them your documents and tell them what you did. When you do have a taxi waiting. 

Or look at at the expats with US state and Canadian province plates who live in Mexico full time. Does your address on your registration give your Mexican address. Geesh.  

One registers a car in Guanajuato state with first obtaining a GTO state license, legally available to tourists.  The car is then legally registered in Guanajuato state. 

And, I won't get into how many expats illegally earn income in Mexico including landlords or the tenants who rent a property from out of country landlords and never retain the tax portion and pay that to SAT every month. And, every tenant who enables their landlord to avoid tax by not asking for an official receipt. That includes about 99% of all tenants. 

Wow! Sonia, take a breath. That's not necessary.

I'm not owning a car, I'm not working and I'm not renting out my house. I consider you an expert, therefore I asked my legitimate question because I have visitor visa and don't plan to bring a car here:

"What happens to the visitor visa holder if he is involved in an at-fault accident when the car is registered in his name from Guanajuato but he lives in Jalisco where he isn't allowed to get the registration?"

Does the visitor visa holder at-fault for an accident risks getting arrested by the police?

Thank you!

Lily not directed at you. The person has a valid driver's license, a valid registration and valid insurance. 

Archived