Chapala.com Webboard

New Here

Hi all,

New here, will be looking at moving to the area in less than a year, but may be in mexico sooner. 

Just have some basic questions to start...

• How easy is it to find a house to rent which accepts dogs (2 small). ?
  • i see that Internet looks like it is getting better, does it seem likely that in a year it will be fine for being able to work from home? (Mostly working online, lots of Audio Conferencing, some video conferencing, mostly in AM times)
  • What kinds of things should I make sure to bring with me from US, and what is easier to get once there in Mexico?
  • are there many animal shelters in the area? 
  • What one piece of advice would you give to someone as they prepare to move to Mexico / Chapala ?

Thanks

Dennis

Internet speeds currently differ greatly from location to location.... and sometimes street to street. Not many areas support speeds required for Video Conferencing. Fiber to the home is currently being turned up as we speak by a "new" player (ILOX) in some areas Lakeside so when looking for a rental inquire about it. 

Yes on animal shelters.

Visit to get answers BEFORE you move down.

How easy is it to find a house to rent which accepts dogs (2 small). ?

In general landlords here are not too adverse to small pets.  You may be asked for additional damage deposit and/or rent.  The larger problem is the rental market has tightened up in general and prices have increased.

i see that Internet looks like it is getting better, does it seem likely that in a year it will be fine for being able to work from home? (Mostly working online, lots of Audio Conferencing, some video conferencing, mostly in AM times)

It does seem so.  We have a new high speed provider moving into the area, ILOX.  Previously IzzyCable promised high speed but the service has been erratic and there has been much dissatisfaction posted here about Izzy.  TelMex is very much a mixed bag, there are some areas where it is quite fast, others not fast at all.

What kinds of things should I make sure to bring with me from US, and what is easier to get once there in Mexico?

Kitchen stuff, linens, personal electronics for starters.  

are there many animal shelters in the area? 

Yes and there is a very active local volunteer effort to improve the rather poor lot of animals in this country.

What one piece of advice would you give to someone as they prepare to move to Mexico / Chapala ?

Learn Spanish if you can but don't obsess on it.  This is a very bilingual community.  Assuming you will be driving a U.S. plated car, watch out for traffic cop shakedowns.  Remember that here you are the primary responsible person for your security.  Don't rent poorly secured property, don't leave anything valuable in your car, stay away from drugs and druggies.  A little urban style paranoia is a good thing. As noted, patience is a virtue and consulting with others on this and other local message boards is a great way to get good referrals and minimize problems.  Mexico is very much a "buyer beware" country, you are your best consumer protection.

19 hours ago, rvanparys said:

If you have decent furniture it would pay to ship it... 

Definitely something I was wondering about, had heard conflicting answers on it, but would like to bring at least some pieces. Helps that my company will pay for the move!

17 hours ago, RickS said:

Internet speeds currently differ greatly from location to location.... and sometimes street to street. Not many areas support speeds required for Video Conferencing. Fiber to the home is currently being turned up as we speak by a "new" player (ILOX) in some areas Lakeside so when looking for a rental inquire about it. 

Yes on animal shelters.

Visit to get answers BEFORE you move down.

I'd like to have the opportunity to visit first, but my position (for the company I work for) is getting moved to Mexico as we speak. So, I have to decide to take it or not. I'll start in mexico City, but once there, will be checking out Lakeside. (All this is probably due to happen in the next 6-12 months (still working on timeframe with my management).

5 minutes ago, DennisSira said:

Definitely something I was wondering about, had heard conflicting answers on it, but would like to bring at least some pieces. Helps that my company will pay for the move!

Most rentals here come furnished, so finding an unfurnished place is tougher, but possible.  If you ship your own furniture down, you may have to rent a storage unit.

2 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Most rentals here come furnished, so finding an unfurnished place is tougher, but possible.  If you ship your own furniture down, you may have to rent a storage unit.

Yes, that is what it looked like, so it seems a balancing act, bringing some but not too much.  storage unit easy enough to find (here it seems they are all over the place.)

The problem here is that there is a finite good cabinet lumber supply and much of it is air dried and subject to checking... We have had numerous articles made here and the workmanship is OK... BUT knowing what we know now, we should have shipped all of our furniture.

1 hour ago, DennisSira said:

Yes, that is what it looked like, so it seems a balancing act, bringing some but not too much.  storage unit easy enough to find (here it seems they are all over the place.)

Storage facilities are not all over the place here. It is not the thing it is NOB.

Archived