Chapala.com Webboard

What does Chapala need more a parking garage or a sewage plant.

HarryB

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

What are they really, cesspools or septic systems?

septicvscesspool-300x180-300x180.png

My current one and the one we built on the coast is nothing like the cesspool shown on the right. It was constructed like the one on the left with two lids. The difference was that the second chamber was not solid at the bottom... it was open. The first chamber is a totally solid concrete box where breakdown of solids takes place.The cesspool you have shown is a big problem waiting to happen and could very, very easily get clogged with tree roots. Not all systems are EXACTLY the same here and there are certainly no standards or inspections. I have never had to have my system pumped out and I am very careful about what goes into it to make it happy.

@lakeside7... you have made that statement about sewers having been offered in Riberas before. I stated then and I say now that I have owned this home since May of 2016 and have never been approached by any entity with the option of having a sewer line. I would have voted YES and been happy to pay for it.

Nine years in San Miguel de Allende,Guanajuato; six years in San Pancho, Nayarit; one year in Riviera Alta, Ajijic and four years in La Huerta, West Ajijic. I have no idea when Riberas was a fracc. just know that it isn't now.

A lot of the septic problems could be solved if chemical septics were used.  When in Geelong, Australia the city dumped its sewage directly into the ocean.  Swimmers complained about the s**t floating about so the city installed choppers at the end of the pipe so you couldn't see it anymore.

9 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

And yes the Santiago River is a huge problem.  I have been asked to assist the new Governor's task force for cleaning up this river and intend to help out in any way I can.

Well, there's something I didn't expect to read today. Congratulations.

But, so long as we're voting for one thing or another.....I vote for a solution to traffic and parking problems in Chapala and elsewhere, improved infrastructure everywhere - including but not limited to sewage treatment, street repair, trash, security, better health care and social services for locals - and, while I'm at it.......ILOX, World Peace, and a local vendor who can make a decent pie crust.

7 hours ago, HarryB said:

All of the constructions I have seen here in the last 18 years would be the same as what M calls cesspools. Cheapest way to address the problem.

WHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS OF AN EXTENDED AERATION ACTIVATED SLUDGE SYSTEM?

The activated sludge process is the most widely used biological water and wastewater treatment. As is well known, by its means, suspended-growth microorganisms are applied to breakdown wastes. Aeration, the mixing of air and a liquid, is the means used to speed the reactions involved. Aeration methods include spraying the liquid into the air; diffusing air into the liquid or agitating the liquid to promote surface adsorption of air.

Aeration can be “conventional rate” based on mechanical aeration, or “extended rate” based on diffused aeration.

An extended-aeration system includes capabilities for aeration & mixing, settling, return of activated sludge and solids removal, this last in the form of a biomass known as waste-activated sludge.  An activated sludge process re-circulates part of the biomass as an integral part of the process.

Awareness of the basic parameters measured in controlling an extended-aeration system can ensure proper treatment is carried out, such that legal and regulatory requirements for effluent discharge quality are met.

As mentioned, there are two commonly used process-loading ranges for operating activated-sludge systems. A “conventional-rate” process involves 5 to 15 days residence time, while an “extended aeration-rate” process has a slower, or lower, residence time of between 20 to 40 days residence time."

All 17 sewage treatment plants in your area are extended-aeration system sewage treatment, hardly described as cesspool sewage systems. Maybe research what you have instead of guessing.

Funding comes from the federal secretaria and distributed to state secretarias in charge of sewage treatment. States have no sales tax or income tax and don't contribute money just manage their yearly budget allotment to keep up demand and keep things running. The Chapala government doesn't request money for state responsibilities therefore they have no say where the federal tax money will  be spent. Therefore this whole thread is irrelevant.

We use extended aeration activated sludge in smaller/medium systems where flow variability is greater and easier and more stable maintenance is desirable.  As system size goes up, extended air starts to be uneconomic because of the size of the aeration tanks.  Extended air "mixed liquor" (the stuff in the aeration tank before it goes to the clarifier also can be more difficult to settle out. In general, though, extended air is harder to screw up than the more intensive conventional activated sludge.

The unsewered areas are using septic tanks (cesspools) and that is what this discussion is about.  They are being used in areas that have far too high density (small lots) and other problems such as ground water that is unsuitable for their usage.

20 hours ago, HarryB said:

The system I was referring to were house based not municipal.

"The contents of the septic tank are usually pumped out using a vacuumtruck. The sewage is then transported to a wastewater treatment plant for final treatment. The wastewater can also be taken to a certified disposal field where the stabilized wastewater is used as fertilizer."

https://www.quora.com/How-are-septic-tanks-drained-What-is-done-with-the-waste-afterwards

Even if you were refering to individual septic tanks where is there a problem? Look where the sewage ends up. It doesn't end up in the street or lake.

I was also commenting on your OP that the Municipo de Chapala has no say in matters of sewage waste management [ the state is taking care of that ]. They have a say on building a parking structure.

When in the vicinity of a municipal sewage waste cesspool you can smell it from a couple of miles away on a hot day. Rural America uses them someplaces as do many countries, including Mexico, I suspect.

Alan look at this picture of a septic tank.  Do you see the outlet?  That is the liquid from the septic tank.  Septic tanks are anaerobic treatment systems.  The solids fall to the bottom and anaerobic bacteria digest them.  The scum is trapped at the top by the baffles.  The liquid flows out to the drain field.  If the drain field is properly constructed and on sufficient land the soild around it will treat the liquid further and stabilize it.  Over time, the sludge and scum accumulate and this is what is pumped out when a septic system is "cleaned."

septic-tank-vector-diagram-260nw-613537646.jpg

Many septic tanks or large cement sewage storage tanks in Mexico have no leach fields and just stores the waste until it is full then it is pumped out. Notice most houses and building here don't have any property left to install a leach field. The lots that do have the space might have a leach field or might not. 

Archived