Chapala.com Webboard

VPN suggestion

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's for TVs with Android, though. Many are third-party OSs... like my Samsung. Called Tizen, with a so-called "smart hub". Won't take any Android apps or anything not on its very short list.

I have just started read about "DNS service"".  It sounds interesting but I have no experience. 

http://www.unblocknetflix.net/unblock-netflix-on-a-samsung-smart-tv/

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's for TVs with Android, though. Many are third-party OSs... like my Samsung. Called Tizen, with a so-called "smart hub". Won't take any Android apps or anything not on its very short list.

I decided to try out  https://www.unblock-us.com.  The web site is a little confusing at first with set-up. 

Looks like I can access Netflix and Prime Video US on my Samsung Smart TV.

Now it is time to start watching Frasier form the beginning on the big screen. 

Thanks  tabacone.

de nada

One of my few frustrations with https://www.unblock-us.com is that when the power goes out I have to go to the site to activate my "new" IP address.  They were helpful and responsive in walking me through resetting my old apple router so all devices can benefit from their service.  There are a few websites that can still "see" my location but its not a big deal for me.

26 minutes ago, tabacone said:

de nada

One of my few frustrations with https://www.unblock-us.com is that when the power goes out I have to go to the site to activate my "new" IP address.  They were helpful and responsive in walking me through resetting my old apple router so all devices can benefit from their service.  There are a few websites that can still "see" my location but its not a big deal for me.

I am only going to use it on the TV right now. I have a vpn that is paid up for about 9 months. I will use it for the other devices. Then I review it again. Again Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, tabacone said:

de nada

I don't use it that way.  My need to turn it on is very low so I turn off after I am done. 

Also after addition testing, my need to use a vpn is very low.  Now I only use a vpn when I want encryption of financial/secure transactions over Wi-Fi.  Why? There is a big difference in performance between a vpn and a DDS server to change IP address.

Average download speeds using SpeedTest app on Windows 10 PC connecting to US:

Base speed  - 90mps

Express VPN - 20 mps 

Private Internet Access - 25mps

Strong VPN - 30mps

Unblock-US - 90mps

As a paying, happy Express VPN customer it is easy to get Amazon Prime video. You sign into your account and do live chat and ask which server to use for Amazon (or Netflix). Last year the New Jersey one quit working, did chat, now Los Angeles 3 works just fine. I put VPN on the Fire TV's and make sure it is on before going to Amazon. Occasionally I forget and get the geographic restriction, then turn it on, then watch without problems. I also have VPN on PC and mobile devices. You are limited to 3 devices at the same time and that is not a problem. Don't do banking without one!!!

6 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

I use Windflix, and it has a special server just for Netflix. I got a lifetime subscription for $40, and often there are sales through www.Stacksocial.com. Many ssrvers to choose from, easy interface, very pleased all around. Www.windflix.com. It gets very reviews from techies. 

I got download speed of just under 50 mps with Windscribe.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

Have not read all these posts, but we had Ilox installed today and I later tried to use my Strong VPN and it doesn't seem to work.  Anyone out there that now has Ilox and a VPN that works with it?

Probably needs to be reset to match the address of the Ilox modem. Strong has tools to do that.

I don't know about reset on the ilox modem, didn't do anything to mine. My NordVPN works just fine with ilox, connecting to US, no speed loss still 65mbps down 12 up.  I'm using the PC desktop app from Nord, Supports recommendation, their Chrome extension is flaky and drops out randomly.  ymmv