Chapala.com Webboard

Need New Car Purchase Process Guidance

I believe that to register a car one must have residency and not a tourist visa... Buying the car is simple but registering it becomes another adventure... Passport, Immigration card, CURP, and a phone or electric bill are the normal requirements... Maybe an RFC also...

It varies from state to state, but a residence visa is typically required for registration in most states. I am pretty sure it is required in Jalisco, along with other documents.

We wired the monies to the dealership's account and were were asked to send copies (and bring originals to pick up the car) of our immigration cards, RFC and CURP. Before picking up the car, I put our insurance agent in contact with the dealer rep and they coordinated to get the VIN and other info so we had an insurance policy in-hand before we left the showroom. Different from US, to keep the warranty in-force, we must abide their maintenance service schedule (every 6 mo or minimum mileage) and take the car into the dealership for the mandated service. That part is a bit of a pain.The rest of the process was easy.

Archived