Chapala.com Webboard

Need New Car Purchase Process Guidance

I really need some guidance on the new car purchasing process. I am buying a new car from a dealership in Guadalajara. I left a $10,000 peso deposit for which I have a receipt. When the car comes in, what is the process? I know that I have to pay in full first by wiring the money to the dealer. Other than that, what do I do and what do I ask for? How do I ensure that I am protected from any shady stuff and that I get the car? Do they give information over the phone? Very different than NOB so would really appreciate some help and good advice. Thanks in advance!

If you don't get any other help here and if you do not have a grasp of the language and laws. ..  visit immediately with S & S Auto and see if they can and are willing to help you through the process.  We purchased ours through S&S.  We paid the same for our car that was being charged at the dealership.  

It is much easier to buy a car here than NOB. There is no haggling with the price being set by the manufacturer that is very reasonable. You pay for it or make a substantial deposit. When the car is available and paid for the dealer will deliver it. If you paid them for the tag, it will be on the car. You get a receipt (factura) and circulation card.

hope you did  negotiate, same thing as up north.  Of course if you want to pay the sticker price they will oblige.  You can get fabulous discounts .  It is there for the asking.

ask the dealer what they require.  They probably will want a RFC number as is needed for a Factura.  

1 minute ago, daisy2013 said:

hope you did  negotiate, same thing as up north.  Of course if you want to pay the sticker price they will oblige.  You can get fabulous discounts .  It is there for the asking.

ask the dealer what they require.  They probably will want a RFC number as is needed for a Factura.  

I'd be interested to know where you found a new car dealer who would negotiate.  That does not appear to be the normal practice here.

Having purchased three new cars in Guadalajara I agree with AngusMactavish.  One does not negotiate on a new car.  As the Honda dealer explained to me you can negotiate on extra items that you want on the car but not on the price of the car.  Your salesman should help you with all the details of the final purchase of your car.  Ask him what paperwork you need to provide and when.  I have never had a problem other than with driving to GDL a few times.

We purchased two new cars through S&S and used our Capital One Card... We received a better than average rate of exchange and received many air miles... The Honda dealer charged for using the card but we still came out ahead  $$ wise... 

How about a few details?  Where did you buy, what did you buy and what was the discount?  The Honda dealer I visited several years ago wasn't willing to budge off list price at all.  So I may as well send Spencer (S&S) in there and spare myself the hassle of repeated trips to GDL and dealing with "dealers" who are just sellers at full retail.

It is a known fact the dealers "pay" S&S for their services as an intermediary which of course means the buyer is actually paying it.  Depending on the amount it could be money well spent or it could be pretty rich.  Everyone I know who has gone the S&S route were very pleased with the before and after sale service and support.

Along these lines, I'm wondering if anyone has bought a "year end" model and gotten a significant discount.  For example, buying a 2017 new car in December of 2017 just before the new models come out.  Obviously if the price is still the same it makes no sense to buy last year's model.  NOB it is usual to find significant discounts on year end new cars.  How about here?

Mainecoons, we talked to the Honda dealer and got a price for a Honda Fit in 2016 prior to going to S&S.  S&S quoted the exact same price as the Honda dealer.  After we arrived and the paperwork was being prepared S&S came in and told us that our car was going to be $5000.00 pesos less than the quoted price as there was a rebate that had just been applied.  We thought that was rather impressive as neither S&S nor the Honda dealer needed apply this rebate to our price as we had already agreed to the price given.  

25 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We thought that was rather impressive as neither S&S nor the Honda dealer needed apply this rebate to our price as we had already agreed to the price given.  

They both adjusted to the MSRP at the time of delivery. Had it gone up, you would have had to pay the difference. The manufacturer sets the rules, not the dealer.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice. To clarify, I have already signed a contract for the car and put the down payment on the car with the Guad dealer. But I still would like to know the process for payment. I will wire the money but at what point do I do that? Do I wire it before I pick up the car? What type of receipt do I get and do they send me the VIN? In the states, I would pay with a check at the dealer and get the car but it's very different here. 

24 minutes ago, Marlayne said:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice. To clarify, I have already signed a contract for the car and put the down payment on the car with the Guad dealer. But I still would like to know the process for payment. I will wire the money but at what point do I do that? Do I wire it before I pick up the car? What type of receipt do I get and do they send me the VIN? In the states, I would pay with a check at the dealer and get the car but it's very different here. 

I would say talk to the financial people at the dealer. Any way, you will need their bank info to do a wire transfer. 

26 minutes ago, Marlayne said:

Go to S & S and ask for their input. They know !

15 hours ago, Marlayne said:

It seems to me these are questions for your dealer.  You made the deal and live with their process.  

Absolutely easy to do and you can trust the new car dealers. They are great!  We have done it twice in Guadalajara.  You can arrange the payment method with the dealership, as stated above, and they will give you the account numbers you need for a wire transfer.  You might also arrange with your bank for use, at a specified time, of a credit card or debit card for the purchase, but that may incur a bank charge at the Mexican end, which they will charge you for at the dealership.  Cash, or a wire transfer is usually the best method of payment.

3 minutes ago, Lily H said:

I  maybe wrong: You can buy a car but can't register it in your own name.

Whuh? Mine is registered in my own name (and also in my deceased hubby's but that's another story)

Archived