Chapala.com Webboard

Climate Change

Kyle

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, geeser said:

Why did you warmist clowns have to change the name of "Global Warming" to Climate Change. Of course there is climate change and always has been. It has been hotter on earth than it is now. We now have about 4 ppm carbon dioxide and we have had in the past as much as 4000 ppm. The biosphere grows better with a somewhat higher level than we have now.

No need to publish the links here as you say Mainecoons has already done so.

Here, perhaps you should read this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

You have a lively mind Sr. Mark. Too many older people are fixed in their ways, it is the young people, as young as 8, who are the activists now. They seem have to have enough instinct to recognise the need for survival. For them to become seniors and grandparents in a healthier world.

And before you get too smug about solar panels and buying more efficient new cars, do some research and find some surprising results. For example it takes/wastes more energy to manufacture, sell, company support, and install a solar panel than the lifetime energy it produces. Automobiles are even worse offenders. This what people have to know. It is not as simple as it looks to get the world back in shape, much like the human body. Hard work, sacrifice and perseverance.

Good point Chillin.  This is going to be true of all alternative energy and conventional energy, however.  Related and one of my favorites is that western mechanized agriculture requires something like 9 calories of energy for every calorie of food it produces.  And if you think solar panels are costly when everything is factored in, take a look at those windmills.

One other point about solar and that is the amount of energy panels produce in a place like this versus someplace like Canada is no comparison at all.  Hence to be more accurate we should compare what a solar panel in a high sun environment produces over a lifetime versus the energy cost to produce.

There is no free lunch  As for sacrifice, when I see these politicians and rich folks who like to lecture the rest of us about sacrifice my reaction is you first.  Until then I'm not inclined to pay much attention to people who have multiple huge energy guzzling houses, huge limos, private planes which they fly to conferences where they preach at us, etc.

23 hours ago, Kyle said:

March 15 is Global Day of Action for climate change, world wide rallies.  Is anything planned for Ajijic?

Brave man, Kyle, for broaching the subject.  You won`t get an answer to your question but all the neanderthals will come out of their caves swinging their clubs!

51 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Wow! I had no idea there were so many people uneducated and brain washed about their own planet.   I guess time will tell, hope you are around to see it.

What I find disturbing is how scientific fact seems ever more often to be determined by one's political leanings. "I'm a Democrat, water boils at 100c at sea level". "Nope, my president says it boils to suit his moods! Take that snowflake!".  Really, who do you trust? The vast majority of climate scientists, the majority of the worlds governments, or a clown standing on the floor of the senate holding a snowball? I'm torn.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You have a lively mind Sr. Mark. Too many older people are fixed in their ways, it is the young people, as young as 8, who are the activists now. They seem have to have enough instinct to recognise the need for survival. For them to become seniors and grandparents in a healthier world.

And before you get too smug about solar panels and buying more efficient new cars, do some research and find some surprising results. For example it takes/wastes more energy to manufacture, sell, company support, and install a solar panel than the lifetime energy it produces. Automobiles are even worse offenders. This what people have to know. It is not as simple as it looks to get the world back in shape, much like the human body. Hard work, sacrifice and perseverance.

It would seem that presumption knows no bounds on this board. Why do so many people ascribe to others that which they only just recently recognized in themselves? What a perplexing world.

54 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Everyone knows that climate change is controlled by the gays.  They have more power than you can imagine.  Go ahead, try and tastefully decorate your house without one.

Bigotry never goes out of fashion. Somehow I had forgotten that fact.

10 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

Bigotry never goes out of fashion. Somehow I had forgotten that fact.

Oh Mark sorry, it was sarcasm not bigotry, being that I am gay myself.  The folks in most of the upper eastern USA are calling me the snow queen right now.  Just trying to have a little fun at my own expense.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Wow! I had no idea there were so many people uneducated and brain washed about their own planet.   I guess time will tell, hope you are around to see it.

There`s only a very few,  the same ones every time, that spout up this way on certain topics. 

Just now, El Menudo said:

Oh Mark sorry, it was sarcasm not bigotry, being that I am gay myself.  The folks in most of the upper eastern USA are calling me the snow queen right now.  Just trying to have a little fun at my own expense.

My apologies, but I read, and and I consider just where it is I am, and then I respond. I can respect anyone who can make a joke at their own expense.

I hold a PhD in Physical Organic Chemistry and have taken several courses in free radical chemistry. I would suggest that the complex atmospheric interactions between HO- and CH4 (methane) are unlikely to be intelligently discussed in this forum. Just a thought. 

I've watched from a distance (about 1K miles) where the wind chill was 13F degrees this morning. As I observe these discussions I always wonder why it begins with the automatic assumption that at this moment in time the temperature is perfect, it shouldn't be allowed to go up/down? Who gets to determine that and demand that everyone else fall in line and believe - exactly who is that?

I will tell you a story then. In the mid 1980's I worked for an Italian Canadian company who made a lot of garden and ornamental architectural items. They were very famous in Vancouver. The had been at the same location for about 20 years. At the back, was an Elementary school, a good deal away from the business. They had a Polyester Fiberglass production building using a "chop gun"  (which, coincedentally, I ended up purchasing from them). No problems from the school. Then it became the norm in schools to promote environmental activism, etc. The owner started getting letters from little kids who wrote that the place was killing the environment, that they couldn't use the playing field because it made them sick/vomiting etc. The owner didn't know what to do. It was in the proper zoning and met all safety requirements. To be sure, he asked a government Industrial Hygenist to visit the site. The official suggested putting carbon filters over the exhaust fans, though it was not required by law. The owner did this and things settled down. I believe to kids were also at a human blockade at a nearby oil refinery. These kids are now all adults, probably with kids of their own, and Vancouver became a center of environmental activision. Were they "brainwashed"? You decide. In my childhood we were "brainwashed"  about litter - don't be a litterbug!

6 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

I always wonder why it begins with the automatic assumption that at this moment in time the temperature is perfect, it shouldn't be allowed to go up/down?  ...

Understand that:

The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

24 minutes ago, JRPJR said:

I hold a PhD in Physical Organic Chemistry and have taken several courses in free radical chemistry. I would suggest that the complex atmospheric interactions between HO- and CH4 (methane) are unlikely to be intelligently discussed in this forum. Just a thought. 

I'm a punk with a nose ring. Now tell me something that's relevant to the topic of ACD that I don't already know. And for those of you  just tuning in, the discussion is about atmospheric CO2 and how it is accumulating at unprecedented rates. Pick me Monty! Monty, I'm over here! The appeal to authority fallacy never seems to get old.

27 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

I'm a punk with a nose ring. Now tell me something that's relevant to the topic of ACD that I don't already know. And for those of you  just tuning in, the discussion is about atmospheric CO2 and how it is accumulating at unprecedented rates. Pick me Monty! Monty, I'm over here! The appeal to authority fallacy never seems to get old.

Since you asked, I’ll tell you something you don’t know. Climate change is about a lot more than CO2 accumulation. That’s so 90s. Methane gas emissions from cows is now considered by many to be a major problem as are NO containing compounds. If you think it’s all about CO2 you are badly under informed. Perhaps more time researching and less time posting would help. Get the ring out of your nose and stick in a research journal.     

9 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Ok Angus, my question is the same, who determines that this "climate" is exactly perfect at this moment in time and it shouldn't be changed?

Dr. Pangloss, of course. What a silly-Billy.

Warning: Literary allusion sure to be missed by most.

Archived