Chapala.com Webboard

Doing my due diligence.

I am looking at an open-heart procedure, which is at my age, somewhat scary.

My choices are to have it done here, or at the V.A. in Texas.

My G.P. here recommended a cardiac surgeon here. I did some Google on him and he gets good reviews. Still, I know there is a saying that doctors bury their mistakes.

Is there any way I can check to see if this doctor has been either sued for malpractice, if there is such a thing here, or had any formal discipline; again, if there is such a thing here.

Thank you.

Have not heard good things about VA heart surgeries. I know one VA hospital was suspended from heart surgeries.  I think use your medicare or Guadalajara which I have heard good things about.   

Eric,

If you choose to go to the USA, you might have a choice, through the "Choice System", as I just did.  The McAllen, TX VA Clinic is my primary care provider, but when I recently had another 'event', I was hauled off by 911 ambulance to the McAllen Heart Hospital, where I spent six days and got a pacemaker and a new cardiologist at the adjacent McAllen Heart Clinic. The VA is paying the bills.  I am not sure how it would work in a 'non-emergency' situation, & suspect you might have to enroll at the McAllen VA Clinic to find out.  My follow-up is with the Heart Clinc, and is coordinated by the VA High Risk Team, with vouchers provided by the VA Clinic, as well.  We live 15 minutes from the Hospital & Clinic, as well as the VA Clinic, so it is also very convenient.  Rental homes are easy here, in our community, especially in summer, if you would recover with rehab 'at home'.  Many VA patients, who live in Mexico, use the VA Clinic here. Both the Heart Hospital and the local Cancer Center are well rated.  Great care; lousy food!

Are you sure you need open heart surgery or do you need a cardiology internventionalist? If you need an internventionalist Dr. Hector Briseno at Quality Care is world class and tries to keep things affordable.

An interventional cardiologist is a cardiologist with one to two years of additional education and training in diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease as well as congenital (present at birth) and structural heart conditions through catheter-based procedures, such as angioplasty and stenting.

I have had very good experiences here in Mexico including triple bypass surgery and a pacemaker. Here are the doctors that I have used -

My primary care physician is Dr. Carlos Garcia at Clinica Maskaras. He visited me at home during my recovery from heart surgery and was very involved and helpful during my recovery.

http://www.ajijicnews.com/pages/MaskarasClinic

My cardiologist is Dr. Ramon Garcia. He also has a practice at Lakeside as well as an office in Guadalajara. His son is also a cardiologist who fairly recently returned from practicing and teaching in France. Dr. Ramon Garcia also visited me at home during my recovery and works closely with Dr. Carlos Garcia.

I fainted on Easter Sunday a couple of years ago and went to Clinica Maskaras. They called Dr. Ramon Garcia and he came to the clinic. He wound up driving me into Guadalajara and got me checked into Hospital San Javier.

La Cristina #25 – Phone 766 4622 (Saturdays)
Emergency – 333 157 4741 (I've called him on his cell phone more than once and he has always answered and been very responsive)
Email – dr_ramong@yahoo.com

http://grupo.medice.es/dr-ramon-garcia-garcia/

Both Drs. Garcia are involved and will see patients at the new hospital in San Antonio/Riberas across from the Chula Vista golf club. 

My surgery was done by Dr. Beningo Ferreira. Dr. Ferreira also practice in Europe before returning to Mexico about the same time as Dr. Ricardo Garcia.

https://www.topdoctors.mx/doctor/benigno-ferreira-pina

For me the entire team made a pretty tough experience tolerable and I got great results. Follow up is extremely important. A final part of my recovery was physical therapy.

https://www.ulloapt.com/testimonials

A very personal decision and lots of options here and in the U.S. This process and team saved my life.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:33 PM, Eric Blair said:

I am looking at an open-heart procedure, which is at my age, somewhat scary.

My choices are to have it done here, or at the V.A. in Texas.

My G.P. here recommended a cardiac surgeon here. I did some Google on him and he gets good reviews. Still, I know there is a saying that doctors bury their mistakes.

Is there any way I can check to see if this doctor has been either sued for malpractice, if there is such a thing here, or had any formal discipline; again, if there is such a thing here.

Thank you.

Erick, one thing here that I always have to weigh before a surgery is this: How long will it be before I can get back home to Ajijic by plane or vehicle? I have done rehab here but just show me and I'll continue to do it for a couple of months. Ask about travel back home.

51 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Dr. Briseño also has one of  3 in Jalisco special cardiac rehabs  here. 

Thanks - that is important sm1, and here, you mean Quality Care facility. Rehab is important if you don't want to have problems again. If parts of you heart are dead, they will never recover, so you have to build up the strength of the remaining live parts. At least that is what I was told.

Archived