Chapala.com Webboard

Paging Ron Magen Solar Compay STI

STI  installed a 150 liter unit that is unable to provide water hotter than 44 degrees C during the winter months. It services half my house and covers the kitchen, laundry room and two guest rooms. If I have guests I have to turn the propane back on. I can compare the STI unit to another one I had installed 7 years ago that continues to provide far better results

Ron told me they engineered the units to have fewer tubes to reduce overheating and venting. I suspect they reduced the number of tubes so they could be price competitive but as a result engineered  an ineffective product.

SunFan

Yesterday in the morning I opened the pressure relief valve to release any trapped air. Then mid-day the valve opened completely releasing at least 10 gallons of water before I turned off the water supply to the tank. Not sure what is going on...Bad pressure release valve ? ( I used the one supplied with the unit ) or is this the result of water simply getting too hot ? I also have other issues with the quality of the parts and instructions, sure would like to hear from the vendor.

Eric,  replied to your email, the systems have a 5 year warranty and STI has supplied them for over 10 years with thousands of totally satisfied long term clients, many on this board.

Will arrange a visit to check everything, asap, as mentioned in the reply to you.      Occasional issues do arise, it is acknowledged >>> STI takes care of them.    It is just one reason why STI is the original and only solar company still going strong at lakeside, after over 10 years - no changing names due to former owners leaving the country, etc….

• 3 weeks later...

Beg to differ on STI. Once STI installs, then any adaptations are up to the customer. I know. I have had to install all kinds of bleed offs,

covers of collectors, replacement auxiliary small tanks, float valves (up to four now). STI installs. STI does zero adaptations -- all up to the customer to do that, and the material and labor expense. So what good is a five year warranty on the STI eqpt when all the add-ons have no warranty, and all add-ons are the customer's to absorb the cost of? Not to mention continual problems about every other month, more service calls, more adaptations. Do research on what you're getting into, and do not listen to the "no downsides" sales pitch. The solar collector setup has a warranty but it causes all these other hangups and headaches ongoing now for over two years. STI does not act to replace the solar collector setup to ameliorate these auxiliary expenses.

Thx much, Irish, Oregon, and HarryB;

Southland, have not heard from you since the n/c service visit our head office tech made to your home Feb 26th; trust all is well, and IMHO, slagging on the board vs email or PM is "less than cool".   

All water heating systems need some maintenance, due mostly to the very hard lakeside water, and yes, solar water heaters do run hotter than gas ones do, in good sun conditions.    Most users like this, a lot!, >>> saves them even more gas and they just mix in more cold, giving more effective capacity than a gas heater tank of the same size.

7 hours ago, HarryB said:

We had great product and support from Ron and STI

I have had nothing but the absolute best support from Ron Magen. He answers all email right away and makes sure to look into and rectify any problems and answer all questions. I have solar water heater and solar electric panels and have nothing but praise for him. 

Archived