Chapala.com Webboard

Fast internet speeds in SA? which company?

kimanjome

I'm in lower San Antonio, La Paz and Jesus Garcia area, to be precise. Wiring in our house all newish within the past 9 years. Telmex 389 plan.

My highest download speed is 1.9 mps. My highest upload speed is 0.4. mps.

Are there any faster alternatives in this area?  A family member just joined us and she is doing video conferencing for her post grad work. Needless to say she is unsuccessful. I am thinking the TelCel  "in your home" service but I don't see a tower in this area.

Normally the 389P Telmex plan gives you 5 to 10 but in SA not unusual to get your results in many places.  Telecable/now called Izzy cable internet  was prettty bad for me but might be faster than what you get now from Telmex.  ILOX is a company putting in a fiber network but they are in the process of building the network so no help now for you.  They sell 50 and 250 with some higher speeds for folks who signed up early.   Telcel is a cell phone network  (3G??)  and can be expensive but it should work pretty much everywhere lakeside BUT it can be expensive as they charge by amount of data unless they have some special plans.  

First I would do is call Telmex and ask them why you only get such slow speeds.  

The lower reaches of San Antonio all suffer from poor Internet speed, both TelMex and Izzy. 1.5 to 2 down is a max. There are no other services yet, but people there have definitely signed up and prepaid for Ilox, so it will be coming to your street. I have no reports of how well TelCel's service works there, but if your cell phone gets a good signal, so will their modem.

I even spent some time with a friend way down Pr. La Paz who has both Izzy and TelMex, using special software designed to combine the two services, and managed to coax a big 3 down... but the signals from both sources were so inconsistent, it was worse than switching between one and the other.

I guess it all depends upon where you live. I live in upper Ajijic, close to  the Telmex office and the telephone lines between there and my home are in good condition. I have almost perfect service. However, I wish they would offer faster internet service. I only get 10 down by about 0.5 up, which is pretty good for many neighborhoods but slow for others.

Archived