Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

I want to add my voice to those thanking Ted for working so hard to make this happen. I have been connected and I'm thrilled. I was one of the original prepaid group and my service was installed about 10 days ago. The technicians that came to my house were very experienced, focused and friendly. When the installation was completed they asked me to do a speed test and the results were - and are - outstanding. I gave them a tip and a couple of cokes. All in all a great experience. They even called when they were ready to come to my house to make sure I was home and to confirm the address.

I would suggest that it might make sense to stop by the Ilox office if you are in Ajijic centro and have not been contacted. They may have tried to reach you but haven't been able to do so - for whatever reason. Couldn't hurt. I'm not sure who within Ilox speaks English. I don't think the technicians did but not sure. I also am not sure about the office. I have only been there once and my conversation and the other customers in there at the time happened to be speaking Spanish.

Thanks again to Ted for making this happen. This is a game changer! I couldn't be happier with the opportunity, process and outcome.

• Like 1

@Tomwins

Questions regarding modem with Ilox:

I am leaving for more than 3 months and that is why I didn't sign up as an initial client of Ilox. I leave Friday and I don't think they've even started service in the Raquet Club (where I live) yet.

When I return in July, I plan on contacting them and signing up.

Things should be normalized by then and installation pretty quick.  Raquet Club has a lot of demand..   It will receive good service soon. 

But I'm wondering (Question #1) if I can bring a good quality modem back from the US or do I have to "rent" one from Ilox.

Your Ilox contract includes the modem.   Because its integrated into their maintenance network, i.e. if you have a problem, they get into it remotely, you wouldn´t want to change it.   The most common reason for wanting different hardware performance is because of poor wifi coverage.  You can solve that by adding more access points.  Any one of the Computer consultants, like Computer Guy, should be able to help you with that.  

If I can buy my own modem (Question #2), what are the specs that I should look for or will any modem do fine?

I have four Ubiquiti Unifi Access points on my property and they work great.  You can buy them at jobbers in Guadalajara or on Mercado Libre. 

Couple of other comments:

- Ilox default assigns your modem a private IP  (10.X.X.X) address.  You can request they give you a public dynamic address for free.  If you want a fixed IP address,  will cost you 750 pesos a year.  

- Unfortunately they don´t support bridge mode on residential service..which would allow you to use their modem pass through to your own router.  But you can program their box to DMZ over to your router...which will give you the same effect.  

- You can add additional SIP phone lines with US or Mexican numbers  by registering on 

https://clientes.iloxtelecom.com .  

I haven´t done it but I'm guessing you can use those lines on your Ilox box or an external box.  If you use on the Ilox box they probably protect the quality of service of the voice and it will business grade.   Ilox folks can answer all those questions at noc@mail.ilox.mx .  And they speak English.

And thanks for the kind words Tom and all.. !  Nice to be loved...  🙂     You should all send your nice comments to Jessica also   It was her love and nostalgia for lakeside, where she grew up, that swung the decision for  Ilox management to establish here.   They had targeted all their capex for central Mexico and didn´t want to do it.  Ah..the things that happen for the love of a woman!  That´s what brought me to Mexico 37 years ago... 🙂  

Tom K

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. tkessler, thanks for your above post encouraging us to be grateful for the installation and decent speeds. We are all also grateful for the push you've given to get them here. Being in the Raquet Club, we don't even get Telmex's higher speeds. I have never gotten above 10 mps and usually it is around 4 or 5 and my upload speed is never above .5 mps. It can take me weeks to upload photos from my trip to the cloud.

• Like 1

I should clarify Tom's statement about Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points. These are in the category of "mesh" WiFi extenders, and are used in multiples (although Unifi APs can be bought individually). They utilize technology in the hardware and software that standard routers and extenders cannot. Right now, it is cheaper to buy on mercadolibre and Amazon Mexico than Amazon.com, when purchasing one at a time.

In a mesh setup, one base unit would be connected to the Ilox/.TelMex modem, and the others would be plugged into electrical outlets throughout the house.

There is a problem inherent to this discussion, however. Pretty much all modems like Ilox's and TelMex's include basic WiFi standard hardware, and there is no real way to sell a "weaker" version at that price point. And the specs for both Ilox's modems are the same as everyone elses, so the signal should be the same as any TelMex modem.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I should clarify Tom's statement about Ubiquiti Unifi Access Points. These are in the category of "mesh" WiFi extenders, and are used in multiples (although Unifi APs can be bought individually). They utilize technology in the hardware and software that standard routers and extenders cannot. Right now, it is cheaper to buy on mercadolibre and Amazon Mexico than Amazon.com, when purchasing one at a time.

In a mesh setup, one base unit would be connected to the Ilox/.TelMex modem, and the others would be plugged into electrical outlets throughout the house.

There is a problem inherent to this discussion, however. Pretty much all modems like Ilox's and TelMex's include basic WiFi standard hardware, and there is no real way to sell a "weaker" version at that price point. And the specs for both Ilox's modems are the same as everyone elses, so the signal should be the same as any TelMex modem.

I thought the whole point of a wifi access point was to disable the wifi on the supplied modem and use the stronger dual band system on the access point.

IMHO the discussion of router/extender and access point is about coverage. If the iLox modem/router is providing you with enough wi-fi coverage, that is all you need. If you have construction/layout restrictions, you have router/entender and access point as options.

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/what-is-a-wifi-access-point/

Edited by Tiny

5 hours ago, Tiny said:

IMHO the discussion of router/extender and access point is about coverage. If the iLox modem/router is providing you with enough wi-fi coverage, that is all you need. If you have construction/layout restrictions, you have router/entender and access point as options.

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/what-is-a-wifi-access-point/

I think it's all about coverage, isn't it? But in this case, people are saying that the WiFi capability of the Ilox modems is very weak, distance/coverage wise.

Look, you want an AP (access point) to be connected to the primary modem via Ethernet. Some will connect via WiFi, and these type we would refer to as extenders (or any one of a number of similar names), but they lose Internet speed with every inch away from the modem. An ethernet-connected AP will not lose any speed, so wherever you hook it up, it really acts the same as the original modem in terms of WiFi. Let's say you run a cable 30 feet from the modem to the AP. You are 30 feet closer to where you will be using WiFi, and you are getting an "original strength" signal right off the bat. If this AP sits at the top of the stairs, while the modem sits in an office at the back, your downstairs devices are going to have a much better connection.

My devices are quite close to the modem (less than 10 feet at most, some 6 feet) and my wi-fi reception is rarely any better than telemes and almost always much worse. The buffering, stalling, complete loss is driving me nuts.

I have tried direct wiring and it doesn't work on my TCL-ROKU TV or my desktop.

What to do?
Except hope ILOX will provide the necessary service to fix this disaster.

8 hours ago, NLU said:

My devices are quite close to the modem (less than 10 feet at most, some 6 feet) and my wi-fi reception is rarely any better than telemes and almost always much worse. The buffering, stalling, complete loss is driving me nuts.

I have tried direct wiring and it doesn't work on my TCL-ROKU TV or my desktop.

What to do?
Except hope ILOX will provide the necessary service to fix this disaster.

We need to work on one piece at a time. I would first determine the speed of your current service. I would do that by using an Ethernet cable from the modem to the desktop.  I use the Speed Test app.  If that is slow, your wi-fi will also be slow and I would not do anymore testing. iLox will fix that.

I was on the schedule to be installed Wednesday. No one showed. No calls. Now to be fair, the appointment was scheduled by the girl in the office who might not have had all the pertinent information.

I went today to ask what happened and as best as I can tell the cable was run on the street but the cable runners on the trucks did not install the necessary power box needed to make the house install. No luz and caja were the operative words. Her description implied that the installers came but found the problem before ringing the doorbell.

Reading a little today about GPON Fiber Networks (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) one sees a brand new dictionary of terms describing all the parts of this system. Splitters, muxes, ONU, ONT and other terms making up the moving parts that carry data over that little strand of fiber. 

It looks like another couple of weeks before the people on the streets with the trucks install the devices that allow the installers to bring the cable into the house. It's only been a year. What's a couple of more weeks? 

Talking to an expert from Canada reveals that yes, there is a box of sorts (skipping the tech details) or ONU drop that will only be installed when there is a customer, otherwise of course there would be boxes all over the place sitting idle and aging. Somewhere on the street is another box, similar to the phone companies slabs for phone and Internet, called a CSP (Customer Splitting Point) with a number of 32 or 64 pigtails to split out to customers on the street.

So my guess is there was no worksheet for your place when the cable was strung.

• 1 month later...

I have had ILOX installed for 38 days and was not pleased with the quality of the WIFI (was no better than Telmex, Telcel or ATT). I bought the 100 mbps package, hoping I would get at least half of that. 

I could not get over 60 Mbps on any of the test programs and only sporadically. So, went to ILOX office and had a discussion with young lady (very Nice, but no help). She gave an email address to send emails.  I sent emails and ILOX responded, but no help.

I got an email from a Mr. Godinez (the ILOX TELECOM IP address is registered in his name), he assured me that I was getting 100 Mbps and I should take his word for it no matter what the Speed tests showed. There was a lot of BS and double redundant weasel wording involved in many responses to my emails. When I finally decided ILOX would be of NO help in resolving the issue, I decided this when he said in his last email " we do not guarantee speed delivered to residential locations". 

In spite of this, their speed for WIFI was slightly better than the really crappy Telcel in home modem service and I decided to look for a solution to the problem on my own. I tried Range Extenders and Repeaters and nothing would help because of their modems poor quality signal strength. About a week ago I ordered the Linksys Velop Mesh system, 3 unit Whole house system, On sale now at Costco for $5,000 MXN ( i discovered this after I paid a lot more). My house has an 8,500 Sq. ft area to be covered.. It was delivered to my house at 2pm on Friday and I currently have WIFI through out my house at a stable 20 to 30 MBPS. I turned off the ILOX Wifi in their modem and hooked up the Linksys system and now I do not have the issues with my Fire Stick hanging up and stuttering any more.  This is the solution to the issue with ILOX WIFI issues. There are many good Mesh systems out there but I flipped coin and went with Linksys.

It appears that ILOX went on the really cheap when they purchased their modems.

As a footnote, to measure the wired signal speed accurately, go to stanford.speedtest.googlefiber.net and run the speed test. I see a consistent 85 to 110 Mbps to this server in California.

I am pleased with the connection speeds now but was really hoping their customer service would be a bit better than Telmex, Telcel and ATT, however it seems they all went to the same school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only if one gets that speed and gets it constantly, and if one is not paying for the 250/300 service.

To quote Davep: 'I have had ILOX installed for 38 days and was not pleased with the quality of the WIFI (was no better than Telmex, Telcel or ATT). I bought the 100 mbps package, hoping I would get at least half of that. I could not get over 60 Mbps on any of the test programs and only sporadically. So, went to ILOX office and had a discussion with young lady (very Nice, but no help). She gave an email address to send emails.  I sent emails and ILOX responded, but no help. I  got an email from a Mr. Godinez (the ILOX TELECOM IP address is registered in his name), he assured me that I was getting 100 Mbps and I should take his word for it no matter what the Speed tests showed. There was a lot of BS and double redundant weasel wording involved in many responses to my emails. When I finally decided ILOX would be of NO help in resolving the issue, I decided this when he said in his last email " we do not guarantee speed delivered to residential locations".'

So much for the 85/100mbpa.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately you chose to not quote all of Davep's Post but seemingly only the part that fits your agenda.

What DaveP also said was, "I see a consistent 85 to 110 Mbps to this server in California. I am pleased with the connection speeds now."

Rick,

One of us is misreading this post.

I quoted the first part because that was the part that dealt with the poster's problem BEFORE he took action with additional hardware.

He said: 'About a week ago I ordered the Linksys Velop Mesh system, 3 unit Whole house system, On sale now at Costco for $5,000 MXN ( i discovered this after I paid a lot more). My house has an 8,500 Sq. ft area to be covered.. It was delivered to my house at 2pm on Friday and I currently have WIFI through out my house at a stable 20 to 30 MBPS. I turned off the ILOX Wifi in their modem and hooked up the Linksys system and now I do not have the issues with my Fire Stick hanging up and stuttering any more. 

This is the solution to the issue with ILOX WIFI issues. There are many good Mesh systems out there but I flipped coin and went with Linksys.

It appears that ILOX went on the really cheap when they purchased their modems.

As a footnote, to measure the wired signal speed accurately, go to stanford.speedtest.googlefiber.net and run the speed test. I see a consistent 85 to 110 Mbps to this server in California."

The KEY WORD in this second half is 'currently.' 'Currently' means NOW after he installed a $5000 MX web mesh (which by thw way I bought today. I'll let you knopw how it works for me on my current ole telmex system.)

And, I don't have an agenda.. Back when i first became in the drive to bring Ilox to our community, i had an agenda: to get to the required number of pesoes. it was for that reason i signed up for the triple Double. It was higher priced and would help more to get to the magic $3 million Mx goal. Now, my only purpose in maing these posts is to advise my community as to what actually happened to a client of Ilox. I continue to wish ilox the best, not because i care anything about Ilox, because i don't and nefer eally did,  but because if Ilox ultimately succeeds in delivering the services they promised to deliver, my community will benefit.

OK, peace brother.   As I don't have a dog in this hunt I should probably bow out. I am aware from his Post that he did a lot of work in spite of ILOX's indifference but in the end it does appear that he is getting very high speeds from the fiber.

Good luck with your web mesh and Telmex DSL....

DaveP,

One shouldn't have any kind of speed test expectation over wifi and/or  to a server beyond Ilox demarcation point which they don't control.    2.4 Ghz Wifi single channel connections are good for about up to 40 Mbps if they aren't loaded with other users.   5 Ghz can do considerably more.    Both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi radios can also do MIMO parallel connections which will increase the speed.  The point is if you speed test over wifi, you're introducing a known bottleneck below fiber's  maximum speed.   The only legitimate connection for speed testing is hard wired to your ethernet port.

However most ethernet ports max out at 100 mbps.  The rule of thumb for speed measurement is that your port speed should be at least 10X what you're trying to measure.  If you have 100 mpbs service, you need to make sure you have Gb hardwired ethernet ports.

I had a PC with a 100 mb port and switched over to one with a Gb port...My speed test results jumped to 450 Mbps and peaked at 600 Mbps.   See below. 

Make sure you are speed testing at Fast.com, which is the Netflix site at the Ilox peer boundary.  Any other site is deep into the Internet beyond Ilox and is basically only telling how much they choking beyond the  gateway connection.    Another really good speed test is the Blue Angels jpg load at http://www.toast.net.   (customer tools menu).  Use the Google cloud storage test.  Then compare it to others.  That will give you a good idea how cheap these  other guys are on bandwidth relative to Ilox.

What I've found so far is that Ilox itself screams.  They may have some service lapses when CFE poles go out until they can get their backups installed.   The low speed rates I've seen are things like:  old equipment, slow ports, wifi connections, weak VPN routers, multiple NAT connections (which will cause services dropout after a 30 seconds to 5 minutes). Its no big deal that it screams.  Why shouldn't it? . Its optical fiber from your home all the way to their edge.  They don't oversubscribe it on their own network much......thats not where the cost is.  Most overloading is in the size of the connections they have to pay for (e.g peering), and beyond i.e. what your subscribing to and other networks are paying for.    And trust me, even there, compared to the incredibly negligent stuff happening on most customer ends, it not the problem. 

Once you eliminate all that other garbage contamination, one can talk more seriously about speed test results.

160c80b4-8179-4d1a-922e-79af0df4416f.jpg

BlueAngels.JPG

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tkessler said:

The low speed rates I've seen are things like:  old equipment, slow ports, wifi connections, weak VPN routers, multiple NAT connections (which will cause services dropout after a 30 seconds to 5 minutes). 

Good points.

• Like 1

I'm going to pose the question to support which by the way has been excellent so far. What speed should one expect using wireless devices when connecting to the GPON modem Ilox installed? No VPN or other modifications made to the original configuration.

The devices are all 802.11 ac capable and are in the same room as the modem so no old equipment or distance issues. While my PC cable connected to the modem gets a consistent 280mb, the wireless devices all peak between 50-80mb. I do notice on the basic network settings page of the modem, the Network Mode dropdown option only lists up to 802.11n.

Of course this is a half-hearted complaint since Telmex could only deliver 3mb but it does ask about managing expectations.