Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

43 minutes ago, gfresh said:

In less than an hour I had my 65-70mb Down and a 15+mb up Ethernet.   40mb Wifi down, 15+ mb up.

I just remember the 40mps is the max. for some older devices. That is why I bought a newer USB wi-fi adapter. With the right equipment, you should get the same speed.

Edited by Tiny

From the Windows Settings, I would turn each wi-fi on and off.  The modem from Axtel.  Even if both wi-fi's operated at 2.4, I would expect them to have the similar speed.  The point I was trying to make when testing the speed of an internet provider is not to test with wi-fi, but with ethernet.  The speed of the wi-fi is a different topic.

Right, you are in Guadalajara, so a different setup. However, 95% of the time, if your PC is within a 2-metre range of the wireless modem (the length of a standard ethernet cable), your WiFi and ethernet speed tests would be identical. Distance is what degrades the WiFi signal.

There are so many other factors in what you describe. 2.4GHz is "everyday" WiFi: travels the chosen distance at whatever speed it is. 5.0GHz provides more throughput, but at a reduced distance. It is better used for video streaming, while 2.4 is better used for regular data. So in another room, your 2.4 signal is going to be better than your 5.0 signal.

You also said " I just remember the 40mps is the max. for some older devices. That is why I bought a newer USB wi-fi adapter." That figure would refer to the modem's capability to receive Internet from the service provider. Because actually, the theoretical throughput of a the latest WiFi devices is somewhere between 400Mbps and several Gbps. But it'll be a frosty day before we see anything like that IRL.

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That figure would refer to the modem's capability to receive Internet from the service provider.

The router downstairs gives 90 mps to the smart TV and PC via ethernet, 90mps to a tablet,  two new cell phones and PC with new USB wi-fi adapter via wi-fi and 40mps to the older cell phone and the pc with the internal wi-fi adapter via wi-fi.  

The router is capable of accepting those speeds. Many TelMex modems are not. Fibre modems/ONUs would have to be capable. Your older cell phone and PC's internal WiFi are simply older standards. There are a variety of 802.11 standards; your newer stuff is going to be ac. That was preceded by n, by g,b, and a. There are tons of sites, some better able to explain, some more confusing. https://www.extremetech.com/computing/160837-what-is-802-11ac-and-how-much-faster-than-802-11n-is-it

I am just trying  to point out, in simpler terms, to the readers that after they have iLox installed and the Wi-Fi is remarkably slower than ethernet, it may be the equipment they have, not the service.

40 mps is fast and there are options to improve it if you want.

Edited by Tiny

6 hours ago, gfresh said:

I've got my Ilox installed and after a week of under performance I made support request.  The next non-holiday work day, a three man tech support team arrived at 9:30am to diagnosis the issue.  In less than an hour I had my 65-70mb Down and a 15+mb up Ethernet.   40mb Wifi down, 15+ mb up. All with Speedtest.net over Triana (telmex).   Ajijic Centro    Awesome support from Ilox.  Ymmv

Can I ask to whom and how you made the support request?

4 hours ago, Tiny said:

I am just trying  to point out, in simpler terms, to the readers that after they have iLox installed and the Wi-Fi is remarkably slower than ethernet, it may be the equipment they have, not the service.

That would be illogical. However, having already seen the reverse situation with one Ilox install, not impossible.

I was able to find a spec sheet, after much searching. I have a feeling that the AN5506 FG ONU with the two ethernet ports is an EDIT: end of life, not "end-of-line" product.

https://www.epcom.net/producto/AN5506-02-FG-FIBERHOME-161867.html

You'll note that the WiFi standard is "n", and the specs say the theoretical throughput is basically 144Mbps.

21 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That would be illogical. However, having already seen the reverse situation with one Ilox install, not impossible.

CG, why do think this to be illogical?  A modem wifi capable of transmitting "ac" but being received by an "old PC" whose wifi adapter is only capable of, say, a much slower "a"? In this case the PC could not achieve speeds similar to an ethernet connection from the modem even if the old PC was sitting right at the modem..... no?    I think that is what Tiny was suggesting.... the problem might not be with the ILOX provided service/equipment but rather an antiquated piece of gear not capable of supporting today's speeds.

Gents,

Here´s a bit more info on Ilox installation status:

- They are going zone by zone, concentrating right now on the prepaids in Ajijic Centro.  Next week they're sending two more trucks to start west of Ajijic Centro towards San Juan Cosala.

- There have been challenges in successfully contacting all of the prepaids to schedule  their installations, especially in Ajijic Centro...People are out..don´t answer their phone, etc.  That has caused a couple of cases where they've installed some people who just signed up -- to keep the crews busy.    Can you blame them?  They have a business to run too. 

- Language is an issue.  If you are already installed and are having a service quality issue, and speak Spanish,  you can call the office and talk to the folks there.  But your better option, especially for English, is to send an email to  noc@mail.ilox.mx .    They´ll get right on it.

- If you´re a techie, and you´re having slow or erratic speeds, one thing you can do is log into your modem, the address is on the label, and check the signal levels.   The receive level for a GPON fiber connection should be -28 dbm or better.  The other day we helped a guy who was as -34.  Ilox came out and respliced the connection and it cleared right up.   Its rare but a cable connection can sometime stress and fail right after installation.   Of course not everyone can do that.   If this is gibberish to you, just mail the noc.  

- If you insist on speed testing, Ilox recommends you do it with the fast.com site which are the Netflix servers.    You have to take these speed tests with a grain of salt.  You´re connecting to other networks that can have their own bottlenecks.  Ilox doesn´t control that.  They control the speed up to their gateway.  Their fiber doesn´t have bottlenecks.  Up to their gateway, there´s nothing to allocate or throttle.  If your not getting a decent speed to  fast.com, then there´s probably a technical problem.  If you´re trying to tutor kids or stream some channel in rural Russia,  there might be a bigger issue.  If you´re do Internet phone calls, there shouldn´t but could be some donald duck events because of peak traffic.  Consider getting a US number on a two port Ilox box if you want guaranteed quality, because that is protected.

- The Ilox box has Wifi but after you enable it, you´re on your own.  Wifi doesn´t do vertical or thick walls.  5 ghz wifi is faster and less congested than 2.4 ghz, but doesn´t go as far.   If you are having problems with your wifi, but its basically working, don´t complain to Ilox.   Get a tech to help you.  You can easily add another couple of access points  and hardwire  to them on your second floor, or on the other side of your thick walls.  Download Wifi analyzer on your phone to check your signal level...Worse than about  -65dbm for wifi signal is weak.    Give the same SSID to all your wifi access points, even if 2.4 and 5 ghz mixed.   Your device will automatically connect to the strongest one.  Do make sure they are on different channels, either through auto function or manual settings.  Don´t use old wifi hardware...the newer stuff is much better. 

Good luck!  Life at lakeside is going to be even better with high speed fiber.  Lets welcome and thank the Ilox folks who are making it happen.   Below, a picture of their Network Operating Center in Sahuayo Michoacan....   Victor Godinez Sahagun is the manager and the Director of the company and he´ll take good care of you..

Tom

image.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickS said:

CG, why do think this to be illogical?  A modem wifi capable of transmitting "ac" but being received by an "old PC" whose wifi adapter is only capable of, say, a much slower "a"? In this case the PC could not achieve speeds similar to an ethernet connection from the modem even if the old PC was sitting right at the modem..... no?    I think that is what Tiny was suggesting.... the problem might not be with the ILOX provided service/equipment but rather an antiquated piece of gear not capable of supporting today's speeds.

You are right; I was reading this from Tiny when I wrote it, and ruined my own post: "The older internal wi-fi had a download speed to 20 mps and the new USB wi-fi adapter had a speed of 3 mps."

2 hours ago, tjt said:

Pretty sure he meant End of Life instead of End of Line.

Yes, and thanks for noting that. I've been following TelMex as they have done this over the years. Pretty much every modem they've put on the market has vanished from the manufacturer's Websites, or been tucked away on some archive pages. TelMex has them install their own firmware on massive lots of units, thus ensuring you can't use any other modems with their service (unless you really know what you're doing). I believe they make deals with these manufacturers on end-of-life products and get substantial savings.

"There have been challenges in successfully contacting all of the prepaid to schedule their installations, especially in Ajijic Centro...People are out..don´t answer their phone, etc.  That has caused a couple of cases where they've installed some people who just signed up -- to keep the crews busy.    Can you blame them?  They have a business to run too."

How long is Ilox giving prepaid an opportunity to respond, before they are put to the bottom of the list?  As to keeping the "crews busy" there is plenty to do to the West.  I've seen two Ilox "scouting" in the El Limon, El Tempisque areas...no equipment being installed, just cruising. (For those of you who have not been West of Ajijic, those areas noted are West of San Juan Cosala)

Having just noted the 1-year "anniversary" of sending Ilox funds to cover two installations West of SJC, being part of the first 100 or so of the prepaids and probably looking at another 6-12 months to get service, you can understand my lack of "enthusiasm" for Ilox signing up new customers, who weren't prepaids, to keep there crews busy doesn't put a smile on my face.

• Thanks 1

Tugwestend,

They are installing in zones.  Right now they are trying to finish the prepaids in Ajijic Centrro before moving on to the western zone...If they can't contact a prepaid, they have to keep the crews busy doing something else in that same zone.  They are spending a lot of time and effort trying to contact people and schedule installations.  Sorry that doesn't put a smile on your face.  

They are starting the western zone in about 3 more weeks, and they expect to have it completed 30-45 day after that.        

Even though you were one of the first 100 prepaids, the business case to come to Chapala wasn't made until 300 people had actually paid in.  Now hundreds more  have signed up.   Just shows that if people had been less skeptical and more supportive, it would have happened faster.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Questions regarding modem with Ilox:

I am leaving for more than 3 months and that is why I didn't sign up as an initial client of Ilox. I leave Friday and I don't think they've even started service in the Raquet Club (where I live) yet.

When I return in July, I plan on contacting them and signing up.

But I'm wondering (Question #1) if I can bring a good quality modem back from the US or do I have to "rent" one from Ilox.

If I can buy my own modem (Question #2), what are the specs that I should look for or will any modem do fine?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. tkessler, thanks for your above post encouraging us to be grateful for the installation and decent speeds. We are all also grateful for the push you've given to get them here. Being in the Raquet Club, we don't even get Telmex's higher speeds. I have never gotten above 10 mps and usually it is around 4 or 5 and my upload speed is never above .5 mps. It can take me weeks to upload photos from my trip to the cloud.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Really? It was tkessler who spearheaded and promoted iLox. It's the people who were skeptical and less than supportive who have 20/20 hindsight...not him.

Let's see. We have a non-sequitur and an erroneous assumption. Perhaps it is simply that you don't understand what having 20/20 hindsight alludes to, as your post suggests?

20/20 hindsight means that you should have done something and didn't. All those who were skeptical and laughed at pre-paids are now kicking themselves because most of them are going to wait longer for improved internet speed. 

What's your definition of it?