Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

3 hours ago, RickS said:

CG, was there any difference if using direct ethernet connection rather than wifi?

I was not able to test, as the modem was located upstairs and the laptop in the house was downstairs. Generally speaking, there should not be any difference at that range or farther, but considering that the WiFi downstairs was showing 18 and my phone upstairs beside the modem was showing only 5... computer logic is not in play here.

2 hours ago, John Shrall said:

FYI, they do have a 4 Ethernet, 2 voice port modem displayed in the office. The lady there said it was available if needed. 

I wonder if there is a surcharge. I guess they are trying to save sheckles, as there are lots of people who don't need the extra ports. TelMex, on the other hand, saves money by buying massive amounts of only one model each time.

4 hours ago, RickS said:

CG, was there any difference if using direct ethernet connection rather than wifi?

I know you only ask CG but here is my two cents worth from experience.  IMHO the three main things that effect the differences are distance, wifi placement and physical construction.  I too have the situation of the modem/wifi upstairs with other devices on both levels. Because of construction and upstairs wifi placement, the wi-fi downstairs was weak.  We fix that by running an ethernet cable from upstairs to a wi-fi router downstairs. In addition, we add a wi-fi extender to increase the range to the back rooms downstairs.

I believe the internal address of this Optical Network Unit (ONU) is 192.168.0.1 (n fact, the address, SSID, and password are on a sticker on the unit), as with the vast majority of modem/routers on the market that aren't TelMex. A device like this that doesn't have internal software would be fairly useless. I can't seem to find an exact manual, but this is representative (shows no telephone settings, though):

Internet_Settings.jpg

CG

Thanks for the info.

I'm a bit skeptical about some of the manuals available from the internet, those generally are consumer oriented and not necessarily something a large company would roll out, specific to their needs and wants, their specific requirements.

Only time will tell

36 minutes ago, mexjerry said:

CG

Thanks for the info.

I'm a bit skeptical about some of the manuals available from the internet, those generally are consumer oriented and not necessarily something a large company would roll out, specific to their needs and wants, their specific requirements.

Only time will tell

CG used to write manuals.  HAHAHA

3 hours ago, mexjerry said:

CG

Thanks for the info.

Only time will tell

I believe earlier in thread I posted a photo I took of the manual that comes in the box. It's a foldover piece of paper with about 8 tiny pages, mostly basic and mostly useless. Searching on the Website for the marca of the ONU turned up nothing by way of manuals. searching Ilox https://www.iloxtelecom.com

shows no technical support.

Most of the modems present the similar settings. Some modems restrict that access. Normally the only things I change are the password, host name, DNS servers and port forwarding. I found this page that seems to reference the ILOX modem with instructions for port forwarding.

After the last internal change Telecable made, port forwarding was disabled at the central office. It doesn't matter what you put in the modem or router. They close all ports. In the beginning it worked the same way and for $50 pesos per month they'd open ports for you. I hope ILOX allows port forwarding from the modem. I'll check it out after the install.

https://sites.google.com/site/szandras23/home/wireless/gfdhtshsjh

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Most of the modems present the similar settings. Some modems restrict that access. Normally the only things I change are the password, host name, DNS servers and port forwarding. I found this page that seems to reference the ILOX modem with instructions for port forwarding.

After the last internal change Telecable made, port forwarding was disabled at the central office. It doesn't matter what you put in the modem or router. They close all ports. In the beginning it worked the same way and for $50 pesos per month they'd open ports for you. I hope ILOX allows port forwarding from the modem. I'll check it out after the install.

https://sites.google.com/site/szandras23/home/wireless/gfdhtshsjh

John,

What are you using the port forwarding for?

On 3/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, ComputerGuy said:

The one customer I've serviced who now has Ilox is also getting 5Mbps down right at the modem via WiFi, and knows of no way to get tech support to fix it. Unacceptable.

CG,

I just ran a test on the upstairs wi-fi device, provided by internet provider,  using a older Windows 10 PC with with the internal wi-fi and a new 5g USB wi-fi adapter. For this test I was downstairs. 

The older internal wi-fi had a download speed to 20 mps and the new USB wi-fi adapter had a speed of 3 mps.  Just to make sure that the new USB adapter was working correctly, I switched to the wi-fi router downstairs and got a speed over 90 mps.  That I can't explain.

The customer may want to test with ethernet to see what the speed of the service is.

34 minutes ago, Tiny said:

CG,

I just ran a test on the upstairs wi-fi device, provided by internet provider,  using a older Windows 10 PC with with the internal wi-fi and a new 5g USB wi-fi adapter. For this test I was downstairs. 

The older internal wi-fi had a download speed to 20 mps and the new USB wi-fi adapter had a speed of 3 mps.  Just to make sure that the new USB adapter was working correctly, I switched to the wi-fi router downstairs and got a speed over 90 mps.  That I can't explain.

The customer may want to test with ethernet to see what the speed of the service is.

When you say you are using "the internal wi-fi and a new 5g USB wi-fi adapter", do you mean you have added a dual-band WiFi adapter; in other words, it sends and receives 2.4 and 5.0 GHz? And you tested the internal and external separately, correct? So your modem (TelMex) is a dual-band modem?

I've got my Ilox installed and after a week of under performance I made support request.  The next non-holiday work day, a three man tech support team arrived at 9:30am to diagnosis the issue.  In less than an hour I had my 65-70mb Down and a 15+mb up Ethernet.   40mb Wifi down, 15+ mb up. All with Speedtest.net over Triana (telmex).   Ajijic Centro    Awesome support from Ilox.  Ymmv

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

When you say you are using "the internal wi-fi and a new 5g USB wi-fi adapter", do you mean you have added a dual-band WiFi adapter; in other words, it sends and receives 2.4 and 5.0 GHz? And you tested the internal and external separately, correct? So your modem (TelMex) is a dual-band modem?

From the Windows Settings, I would turn each wi-fi on and off.  The modem from Axtel.  Even if both wi-fi's operated at 2.4, I would expect them to have the similar speed.  The point I was trying to make when testing the speed of an internet provider is not to test with wi-fi, but with ethernet.  The speed of the wi-fi is a different topic.