Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

Again...has anyone actually experienced this TV option so they can advise from personal experience? I understand that in most cases there is the option that the subtitles can be turned off and the original version be restored. PLEASE, NO... I understand, or I heard...only comments from persons with actual experience in this TV option from ILOX. Gracias

You are jumping the gun, hombre. Only a few people on this board have been connected, and only for a very few days. And the one customer I dealt with this week did not subscribe to the TV part. Asking for "actual experience" is not going to help you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

You are jumping the gun, hombre. Only a few people on this board have been connected, and only for a very few days. And the one customer I dealt with this week did not subscribe to the TV part. Asking for "actual experience" is not going to help you.

I thought you were dead!

Yesterday I got this email:

Richard Koller The Computer Guy <computerguyajijic@hotmail.com>

Fri, Mar 15, 6:53 PM (17 hours ago)

to me

Hi...Im Richard's wife...I'm sorry Richard passed away...😢 ... The funeral house want i pay 25,000 pesos but i don't have money for pay can you help with some money please?... 😢

The Computer Guy  *  Angel Flores #17  *  (Between Juarez & Colon)  *  Ajijic, Jalisco Mexico 45920...And then other contact info including office and cell numbers.

Is this "The Miracle on the Lake" a resurrection right here lakeside? Amazing!!!

5 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I thought you were dead!

Yesterday I got this email:

Richard Koller The Computer Guy <computerguyajijic@hotmail.com>

Fri, Mar 15, 6:53 PM (17 hours ago)

to me

Hi...Im Richard's wife...I'm sorry Richard passed away...😢 ... The funeral house want i pay 25,000 pesos but i don't have money for pay can you help with some money please?... 😢

The Computer Guy  *  Angel Flores #17  *  (Between Juarez & Colon)  *  Ajijic, Jalisco Mexico 45920...And then other contact info including office and cell numbers.

Is this "The Miracle on the Lake" a resurrection right here lakeside? Amazing!!!

You finally got some fake news.

I will attempt to enlighten: My service is called Ajijic Computing. My ads say "Call Mike". I never called myself The Computer Guy originally. People would refer to me as "the computer guy" on the phone, when I'd call them back, as in (yelling to a husband) "Honey, it's The Computer Guy!". This started more than 15 years ago.

Eventually it became easier, when calling, to say "This is Mike, the computer guy," than "This is Mike from Ajijic Computing."

No one else got that moniker until Richard took it years later, knowing full well it was already in use. In fact, I first discovered he was doing so when I turned up at a client's house in Chapala, and she answered the door by saying "You're not Mike the computer guy!" (having already met Richard). Turns out, when asked, Richard would say "Yes, I am Mike the computer guy". I know because I called him myself shortly after the incident.

I have to update my earlier statement about who is getting Ilox installed first. I was told there was NO QUESTION that Ilox would honour the original signees first. I thought this was rather daft, considering the huge extra expense that would incur to the company. (Imagine: you order a pizza and a guy across town orders a pizza... then your neighbour orders a pizza right after you. What place in their right mind is going to deliver the first to you, then travel across town to deliver the second, then travel all the way back to your neighbour's?)

Now a member on TOB says he ordered his Ilox on March 8. They told him it would be two months, and turned up today to install. He is now getting 38Mbps down. This certainly puts the lie to the statement about preference.

On another note, the first client I helped after his Ilox install this week is getting 5Mbps download via WiFi, standing right beside the modem. Not the 60 he was promised, so he is placing a service call.

15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I will attempt to enlighten: My service is called Ajijic Computing. My ads say "Call Mike". I never called myself The Computer Guy originally. People would refer to me as "the computer guy" on the phone, when I'd call them back, as in (yelling to a husband) "Honey, it's The Computer Guy!". This started more than 15 years ago.

Eventually it became easier, when calling, to say "This is Mike, the computer guy," than "This is Mike from Ajijic Computing."

No one else got that moniker until Richard took it years later, knowing full well it was already in use. In fact, I first discovered he was doing so when I turned up at a client's house in Chapala, and she answered the door by saying "You're not Mike the computer guy!" (having already met Richard). Turns out, when asked, Richard would say "Yes, I am Mike the computer guy". I know because I called him myself shortly after the incident.

I am happy to hear that. I hope the when you do decide to go, you leave enough with your wife to give you a decent burial. 

Well, I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but.....   I think that if I were one of the ‘early sign-ons’, paid for a year in advance, was instrumental by that effort and expenditure in making sure that ILOX would even BE in town and then found out that ’a guy down the street’....who did none of these things to ensure implementation of the fiber service... signed up last week and already has service and I’m still sitting here along with 300 others waiting for service...  well you get the picture. 

17 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well, I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but.....   I think that if I were one of the ‘early sign-ons’, paid for a year in advance, was instrumental by that effort and expenditure in making sure that ILOX would even BE in town and then found out that ’a guy down the street’....who did none of these things to ensure implementation of the fiber service... signed up last week and already has service and I’m still sitting here along with 300 others waiting for service...  well you get the picture. 

I do get the picture. However, I don’t see how anyone with an IQ higher than double digits who gave that pitch the consideration it deserved would believe the “You’ll All Be First To Be hooked Up” for the reason CG gave in his post above. I took it for what it was: marketing hype. Still, if I had available the extra cash to pay for a year up front I would have to get this show on the road. 

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I do get the picture. However, I don’t see how anyone with an IQ higher than double digits who gave that pitch the consideration it deserved would believe the “You’ll All Be First To Be hooked Up” for the reason CG gave in his post above. I took it for what it was: marketing hype. Still, if I had available the extra cash to pay for a year up front I would have to get this show on the road. 

Guess I’ll just have to recheck my IQ level because I fell for it..... If it (the installation for a newbie) was a rarity that would be one thing. If that is going to be the practice, and had I ponied up the big bucks as an early implementor, I’d be pi$$ed and making waves. 

• Like 1

I've decided I'm not cheesed off. Whatever. I must have lived in Mexico for far too long to have that attitude, eh? What I WOULD have liked is that people on the west side of town starting with Joco and working east be hooked up first. THEIR Telmex service is absolutely abysmal.

• Like 1

Well, consider this.  Suppose they have a new and an old on the same block.  It would make sense to do both while they are there.

Not saying this is what is happening but it might be one explanation.

We are waiting and hoping that finally there will be fast and reliable internet service here.  Hope to connect within the next 3 months or so.

This from TOB

Placed the order in the Ilox office on March 8.  Staff in the office said installation would be 2 months.  Guys show up today (March 16) to do the installation.  And although I didn't get a call or email warning, I can be very flexible for better internet speed.  The guys didn't speak much english but we managed just fine.  They were done in an hour and a half.  Now happily getting 39.2 down and 9.5 up.  Feels like warp speed.   I signed up for the phone/internet package "Doble Full 40x30" for 399p per month.  I used a US credit card for the repeating monthly charge.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RickS said:

Guess I’ll just have to recheck my IQ level because I fell for it..... If it (the installation for a newbie) was a rarity that would be one thing. If that is going to be the practice, and had I ponied up the big bucks as an early implementor, I’d be pi$$ed and making waves. 

Maybe it is more life experience than IQ that causes some to accept the kind of promise made by Ilox. I just never believed it because it did not make sense to me. Maybe I am particularly cynical or perhaps other people are especially naive. I don’t know. Many (most?) people took Ilox at their word so people like me are the outliers. 

• Like 2

@Xena,

Ilox' 5 year capital spending program did not contemplate service in Chapala.  They have all the business they can handle in central Mexico, i.e. all those factories from Queretaro towards Mexico City.  Cost of capital is more expensive here than up North.   They didn't want to risk the expense of coming up with a few hundred residential subscribers to find out whether service at lakeside would make any sense.  We're not in the US.  All they asked was that we showed them the interest to be really there.   By getting about 300 people to sign up and prepay.  That gave them a little seed money.   Its called crowdsourcing. 

Those 300 risk takers made the difference.  It happened.  Telmex even seems to be coming around.  Music to my ears that maybe a person who signed up recently, probably next to someone who already had it, got service quickly.  I assure you, they are prioritizing the prepaids.  But probably also paying attention to their productivity and synergies.  Like any well run business would.

If anyone thinks that markets are always efficient without a little community or government help, here's an example of the opposite.  

• Like 6

With you all the way except for that last sentence.  Having Ilox here is very much a demonstration of the power of the private market.  Absolutely no government involvement here, consumers wanted a service, came together to make the contacts and achieve the necessary participation and it is happening.  This entire community owes a debt of gratitude to the folks who made it happen.  And that includes Ilox which was responsive, recognized the opportunity and told the community what it needed to initiate service.

I'm really looking forward to no more creaky, erratic TelMex.

True but they responded, did they not?

Left to government this never would have happened.  Ilox was smart enough and flexible enough to modify their plan once they saw the opportunity

You want an end to ridiculously high energy prices and constant reports of theft by employees?  Get the government out of energy in Mexico.

I”m not too sure what ‘government intervention’ might have been expected or why ‘they’ might be taking a “beating” because they did not supply this product. There was never any reason for ‘them’ to get involved in this commercial venture. 

• Thanks 1

I'm always a bit intrigued by the idea of "getting the government out of energy" (or anything else) anywhere including Mexico. Let's look at electricity. Production and Distribution are related but different things. On the Distribution side would it make sense for each company that wants to compete in the "energy" business (electricity as an example) has to incur the capital cost of a huge and expensive power grid - large towers, high tension power lines, land/right of way, distribution to the community level and ultimately to the individual home or business? VERY expensive and duplicating all that infrastructure seems like it would increase costs significantly. Look at places around here where Ilox is not able to use Telmex conduits so some places are simply locked out of the Ilox option. Similar issue with electrical distribution.

On the production side perhaps privatization might make sense in some cases. But that hasn't really happened in tons of places around the world but I guess it could have some impact in some cases. But even if we moved towards more privatization and competition on the Production side, the "public" side (governments at all levels) still have an important oversight role - environmental, safety, employee health, pricing, service level agreements, etc. And those private entities have a 100% profit motive and have complete allegiance to investors rather than citizens/consumers. Their only goal is to make as much money as possible.

So as a concept, t-shirt or bumper sticker "get government out of energy" or anything else sounds good. But I personally believe there are times when that might not make sense and it is certainly not simple to execute. Just my observations.

• Like 2

Time for a little homework:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cfe-loses-16-of-its-annual-production/

https://www.naturalgasintel.com/articles/115308-pemex-cfe-record-103b-2q2018-loss

https://www.naturalgasintel.com/articles/117439-corporate-transparency-found-lacking-at-pemex-cfe

You don't find this in private energy companies to any significant degree simply because they can't tolerate it and stay in business.

The proof the private sector can do this job far better is right there across the U.S. border where energy costs half of what it does here.  Amazing that anyone could miss this.

Partial privatization is a failure because the core corruption related to government control remains.  Both CFE and Pemex are being robbed blind by their own employees.  This is no different than what goes on in government here.  Corruption and inefficiency is endemic to government simply because there are no real consequences for it.  That is true everywhere.

Amazing that people can be surrounded with the results of government failure and still be oblivious to it or live in this fantasy world that somehow it can be cleaned up. 

BTW the next worst thing to government is a private sector monopoly like TelMex.  Now that monopoly is being eroded we are seeing better service and prices in both cellular and internet service.  If Ilox delivers on their promises TelMex is going to lose most of their customer base in the Ilox service area. 

The private sector isn't perfect by a long shot.  Local example is Telecable/Izzy who had the first shot at taking away TelMex's poorly run internet business and failed miserably.

• Like 1