Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Newer devices use the newer 802.11 standards for wireless. "b" and "g" are old now; "n" and "ac" provide better WiFi in a number of ways. BUT one has to consider both the modem and the device; so for example, most computer WiFi devices don't support receiving dual-band (ac), even though the modem may be sending it. New cell phones will.

You could ensure that your PC is capable of the latest by buying a current USB WiFi adapter.

The cell phone WiFi, if you are connected to your house WiFi modem, will get a different speed than if you are connected to (for example) TelCel's WiFi.

In other words, if you are not getting the speed you expected, it may be your devices (pc, cell...) not your service.  😀

HAHAHA

13 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes. And your older modem.

CG,

I turned the wi-fi off and retested only using the ethernet cable, this time with three browsers.  Each tests were performed several times. The following is download speeds.

Chrome 

Speedof.me - 40

Internet Explorer 

Speedof.me - 60

Edge

Speedof.me -75

Speedtest.net All browsers in the 90's.  Can't explain low speed before.

I think I will stay the app and leave the browser out  of it.  HAHAHAHA

I dropped into the ilox office yesterday to inquire about the timing of installation. I'm one of the 300 prepaid accounts.

I was told they're just finishing up La Floresta over the next few weeks and should be moving East in about a month.

SunFan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in lower San Antonio, on Calle La Paz.  A lot of us expats are here.  Right now there is a truck outside my house as I type, and according to the cable installer, these are Ilox lines going in.

At present I get 1.9 down and .4 to .6 upload speeds. Yes, you read that correctly.

If I can get 50 down and 15 up I would be thrilled.  

17 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

I am in lower San Antonio, on Calle La Paz.  A lot of us expats are here.  Right now there is a truck outside my house as I type, and according to the cable installer, these are Ilox lines going in.

At present I get 1.9 down and .4 to .6 upload speeds. Yes, you read that correctly.

If I can get 50 down and 15 up I would be thrilled.  

You are going to need a seat belt for your chair with speeds like that. HAHAHA

• Haha 1

One of the best speed test sites on the internet is called testmy.net. It allows you to do speed tests at any interval you choose to be performed in the background automatically. For example you could ask for a speed test to be performed every hour for 24 hours. At the end of that period it will generate a graph and a table telling you the results of each test. All the time intervals can be set as frequently and over whatever time period you want. This service is free. Of course, it also allows immediate one time only speed tests as well. I've been using it for years.

45 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I signed up yesterday at the Ajijic office for my house in San Antonio for the 30m download at $399. They say 2 months or less. Only paid the first month. Is this real or will there be additional costs for the install? In any case, one happy camper here!

Did that include phone service?

• Haha 1

Telephone and internet at 30mb/sec costs $399 per month. Increase the speed to 70 MBPS and you pay $599 and for 300mb/sec $999

The TV + internet package costs more.  30MB/S $529,  70MB/sec + TV = $719 and 300MB/S+TV = $1,119.

Oh and there is a one time "Contratacion" fee of $399 for all plans

And by the way if you allow them to automatically charge your debit or credit card, they increase your internet speed by about 20 to 30%

I stopped in yesterday and their lowest “full service” package was 629 per month including internet with 30 download, TV and phone. Can transfer current phone number or issue a new one. Printout of TV stations is available and I was disappointed in limited choices compared to Shaw.

13 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Will they accept a U.S. credit card?  What is the TV package, sorta like Sky?

Office open on Saturday?

This could be fantastic!

I asked the same questions about US credit cards.  And apparently only some of them will be accepted.

As far as TV is concerned, I am not impressed. Oh they offer 97 analog channels, 24 digital and 12 HD. The lady at the office, was very helpful, but did not speak English and she had had no idea how many of these channels offered were either in English or if they offered secondary audio channels in English.

They did not accept my American Express or a U.S. business bank card that I had. She then asked if I had a Mexican bank card and yes, my Bancomer debit card was good. They are only hooking up fiber optic cable to your house..,any streaming TV is up to you and a whole other subject that I am sure will be discussed to death here.

14 hours ago, gringohombre said:

They did not accept my American Express or a U.S. business bank card that I had. She then asked if I had a Mexican bank card and yes, my Bancomer debit card was good. They are only hooking up fiber optic cable to your house..,any streaming TV is up to you and a whole other subject that I am sure will be discussed to death here.

Streaming TV is actually make possible by having high-speed Internet.

Meanwhile, here are the channels currently being offered. Too bad Pete wasn't able to find out about English channels.

Ilox-TV-channels.jpg

To get the networks, you'll need to stream, most commonly on an android box.  Just google IPTV providers...like Nitro TV, Helios, Vader Streams, etc.  I pay like $10 a month for 6000 Helios TV channels including just about every ABC, CBS, and NBC station in the US. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tkessler said:

To get the networks, you'll need to stream, most commonly on an android box.  Just google IPTV providers...like Nitro TV, Helios, Vader Streams, etc.  I pay like $10 a month for 6000 Helios TV channels including just about every ABC, CBS, and NBC station in the US. 

Just to add to Tom's remarks:  the IPTV world is, let's just say, very fluid.  Don't sign-up for a long term contract, because the provider may be gone next month.  Don't expect totally accurate EPG (program guides).  Don't expect all channels to function all of the time.  If watching TV is important to you, definitely get a backup IPTV service.  And don't buy a cheap $20 android box.  A $49 Amazon 4K Fire Stick will suffice for almost anything you'll want to do and if you don't have a smart TV, don't worry - if you have an HDMI port the Fire Stick will turn your dumb TV into a Smart TV.

That being said, I currently use Vader Streams and it works OK on my 10mbps Telecable connection (I get some buffering, but not too much).  It will work great when I get my ILOX connection.  

Anyway, just a heads up on the IPTV world.  It's a jungle out there.