Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

I just hung up with Jessica Avila at Ilox.   The first three customer installations turned up yesterday.  They are planning to finally open the office tomorrow...had a lot of unexpected delays in the preparations.  They have about 300 prepaid installations they expect to finish over the next two months and another 400 waitlisted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just got my connection installed and am seeing speeds around  60 down and 15 up.
 They called the day before to make an appointment and showed up on time.  Took about 3 hours to do the install.   They will offer to transfer your existing phone number or give you a new one.    Quite impressed so far was all very professional.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cascade said:

Just got my connection installed and am seeing speeds around  60 down and 15 up.
 They called the day before to make an appointment and showed up on time.  Took about 3 hours to do the install.   They will offer to transfer your existing phone number or give you a new one.    Quite impressed so far was all very professional.

Where are you?

2 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

My friend showed me some comments re  Ilox on  Facebook and they obviously do not keep their site up to date.  The comments, however,  were not favourable.  So if you can find them on Facebook, please read comments.

Your point?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, John Shrall said:

Your point?

I researched and cited that FB material when the Ilox project was first announced in one of the many threads it generated here.  It provided an element of negative anecdotal evidence from users in other regions, and was worth reading at that point, even if it represented a minuscule sample and didn't prove anything.  Should local Ilox service degrade over time, it will be common knowledge online. 

Actually, I registered a domain for Ilox and other users to focus a more intensive and sophisticated discussion in one place, and to help Ilox with spreading the word.  It was called LakeLux.org, and I offered it to anyone who would pursue such a project, as an english users group, liaison to Ilox, etc. (I'm in California and don't speak much Spanish.)  Was rather surprised when a couple of people with authoritarian tendencies got upset when anyone dared to politely question without prejudice anything about the unfamiliar corporation requesting money from a large number of people.  All hail tkessler for his efforts and important results - the process didn't proceed precisely as he predicted, but it appears to be a triumph. 

Every one of us that signed up early knew the risks involved putting money up front for a promise of internet that is better than what we now have available. While there seems to have been progress, the risks are still with us. I expect the install of the first 300 pre-paid customers to be ugly at some point but since they have 400 more on the wait list perhaps they'll only be bumps in the road.

I've lived here 15 years and for every one of those years people have complained about slow internet speeds and outages. The speed reported from known user #1 is not anywhere near that promised but that does not surprise me at this early point. Let's see where we're at when everyone is installed.

I am one of the 300 prepaid customers and look forward to being connected. I am very optimistic and no matter what level of service they are able to provide it can't be worse than our other options around here. They offered two packages/speeds and 60 down/15 up is close to the speed of one of the packages . In fact that lower plan was 50 down and they planned to give early signups 75. If I get 60/15 I will be thrilled.

This is a really great thing for our community. Thanks to Ted for getting this rolling.  I'm a happy guy.

• Like 2

Considering that 60 down is 12 times the speed a lot of users get, 6 times as fast as the majority, twice as fast as a few and 33% faster than even I get... I would say there is a lot to celebrate while people wait for the eventual shakeout.

75 was promised as a base speed for the bigger plan with 100 being offered for the first year for early adapters, no?

I've been using speed tests for a long, long time. They've improved immensely over the years, especially in terms of getting rid of Java Script, that actually slows the page down. But now speedtest.net has so many ads, it just takes forever to load, even at my speeds.

They are all about equal, and vary depending on distance and number of servers to get through. But three times on each will give an excellent idea. And the truth is, if you get a faster speed from one, then you are getting a faster speed, period.

42 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

But now speedtest.net has so many ads, it just takes forever to load, even at my speeds.

Big difference between speedtest.net and speedtest window app. 

speedtest.net download speed - 61

speedtest window app download speed - 94   This is the speed I get on all of my other devices. Also no ads.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

My personal fave is speedof.me

speedof.me

download 27.33

Upload 39.42

latency 48ms

server Dallas

Speedtest app 

download 94.57

upload 112.93

ping 1 ms

server Guadalajara

This is the package:
Ilox Doble Full VOZ y DATOS 50 (75 Mbps first year)   

The speed caps are probably 75 down and 20 up.   (not sure on the up they never specified that )

According to their site,  the extra speed is available as a reward for setting up automatic credit card payment.   So available to anyone.
http://www.ilox.mx/iloxhogar/index.php/paquetes 

I expect things will be slower in the evenings once everyone is hooked up.  For now it's  very fast and  stable,  no dropped packets or difficulty loading any websites.
Hopefully they can keep it like that.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Wednesday they were installing fiber optic cables at the top of Carranza between Marcos Castellanos and Galeana!  We were so excited, we drove straight to the office and signed up.  The kind, professional lady said she thinks we'll have service in 2 months.  WE ARE THRILLED!!!

Valerie  :)

8 hours ago, Tiny said:

speedof.me

download 27.33

Upload 39.42

latency 48ms

server Dallas

Speedtest app 

download 94.57

upload 112.93

ping 1 ms

server Guadalajara

I can't tell you what's up, Tiny, without being there, but if all other tests give you about 40, and the app gives you 95... then enjoy the app.

"BTW, I get exactly the same results whether I use speedtest.net or their Windows app. Both ping the Triara server in Guadalajara as the automatic choice." You can add speedof.me to that list.

37 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I can't tell you what's up, Tiny, without being there,

CG, I have a very good idea what is going on but I can't test it right. I am using a 8 year old PC with 8 year old Wi-Fi technology. The PC is also connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.  I am guessing that both connections are active and speed of.me is using the Wi-Fi and speedtest is using the cable. I will verify this later.

Also, a speed of around 30 is all I get on my inexpensive cell phone that is a couple of years old.

It points out if your devices have older Wi-Fi technology you will get speeds around 30 no matter what your service provides. 

Newer devices use the newer 802.11 standards for wireless. "b" and "g" are old now; "n" and "ac" provide better WiFi in a number of ways. BUT one has to consider both the modem and the device; so for example, most computer WiFi devices don't support receiving dual-band (ac), even though the modem may be sending it. New cell phones will.

You could ensure that your PC is capable of the latest by buying a current USB WiFi adapter.

The cell phone WiFi, if you are connected to your house WiFi modem, will get a different speed than if you are connected to (for example) TelCel's WiFi.