Chapala.com Webboard

toronjas....Grapefruit

camillenparadise

On 2/25/2019 at 7:24 PM, camillenparadise said:

I am a huge fan! Are they available Lakeside year round? What variety? Sangria? And at what price, mas o menos? I lost all my Texas Ruby Reds to the damned "greening"......thanks, China! Best place to buy? Thanks!

I have been hooked on grapefruit for over a year, eating up to 3 per day sometimes, and have found good ones at Walmart.  Price varies between $14-$19 per kilo.  I don't know what kind they are but outside is mostly yellow with some pink, inside pink.  I go for the largest and heaviest ones I can find.

Did you know?

Don’t drink grapefruit juice if you’re taking any of these medications, unless advised to by your doctor:

Have you ever made this classic cocktail, from 1945, the "Greyhound, pink grapefruit juice (preferably fresh), vodka or gin, and a splash of sugar syrup if needed. If desired, dilute with seltzer water, it is the same color as a beach sunset and very refreshing.

Citrus season in Mexico comes during the winter.  I just gave a tour in a major Mexico City market; oranges are selling 40 oranges for 50 pesos.  Grapefruit (the ruby red) is selling for slightly more.  Mandarinas (tangerines) are even less, as are limones.  All of these citrus fruits are available all year long, but winter is when they're best.  A liter of freshly squeezed orange juice is 10-15 pesos; tangerine juice is about 15 for a liter--and oh, the deliciousness.  No other time of year compares.  

Oaxaca Mercado 20 de noviembre Mandarinas 2.jpg

Archived