Chapala.com Webboard

Caregivers to Canada

CHILLIN

It is no secret that in general Mexicans are some the kindest and most compassionate people on this planet.  Thus they make excellent caregivers. Canada has just announced a new program to enable caregivers and their families to move to Canada, then a two year working period, then a path to Permanent Residence. I know this not really on Mexico, but it is good to know that some who have to return to Canada for medical reasons, can now sponsor their Mexican caregivers for live in care, or whatever. There should be a reciprocity here that Canadians living in Mexico could sponsor caregivers to come here, possibly family, who might not have the financial resources to qualify for Temporale or Permanante. Anyways, everybody's lives will be enrichened, and this will be a relief for seniors contemplating going back to a country they may barely recognise anymore.

https://www.vancourier.com/new-immigration-projects-offer-caregivers-pathway-to-permanent-residence-1.23643705

I would normally say higher taxes, but these employees get paid a fair wage, their spouses allowed to work, children to go to school or work. I imagine the economics is a wash then - given the cost of constructing  and staffing new assisted living centers.

Have you heard this story before, it is supposed to be absolutely true. There was an actress living in Los Angeles, she made enough to buy a small home, but as she aged she found there were just no more parts for "mature" female actresses. Her long term Mexican housekeeper had been with her many years, witnessed her ups and downs. Then the actress was forced to sell her home, the maid said maybe it is time to retire for me too - come visit me in Mexico. The actress did this, went to her small town, and found she had built a perfect replica of her house in Los Angeles! The Housekeeper said I always admired your home, so I built one just like it. They moved in together, just like old times, comforting each other with their stories, laughter and memories. A happy ending.

Archived