Chapala.com Webboard

Guacamole?

gringal

Beer Garden in Chapala - yes, really - makes it fresh from the avocado right at your table, on the "guac cart", with wide selection of top quality fresh ingredients - tomato, onion, all the spice options.     Could likely get a batch to go.

I like the commercially prepared guacamole that Pancho carries in the refrigerated section. Worth trying and checking out. After Super Bowl, he was cleaned out so I would call in advance and order. I think it's called Corazon de Maria. Easy to open and serve. The plus is that what you don't open will keep.

10 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

I like the guacamole they make at 'dusty chicken'...across from the BP gas station on the libramiento. They also make good cole slaw and pico de gallo.

I like theirs, too.  But I need enough for 12 munchers and sometimes they don't have it (gasp), so I'm wondering if they take orders for large batches. If so, that would be a great solution.

18 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

Sam's Club or Costco sell it in the frozen section. Can't remember which store sells it. It does in my opinion needs doctoring up. I add chilies.  

I checked the Costco that the Lakeside Shopping service uses and it's not there.  On to other options.

8 minutes ago, gringal said:

I checked the Costco that the Lakeside Shopping service uses and it's not there.  On to other options.

Then it is at Sam's. Two frozen shrink packs in one package. I bought it because I had friends coming over. I also grow those Serranos chilies in my garden, add till you reach the heat you like.  

12 minutes ago, vetteforron said:

Then it is at Sam's. Two frozen shrink packs in one package. I bought it because I had friends coming over. I also grow those Serranos chilies in my garden, add till you reach the heat you like.  

https://www.sams.com.mx/search/Ntt=Guacamole

Not the first one because it is pourable... either of the second two. Even includes the list of ingredients.

BTW, the one at Pancho's has the same ingredients and is the equivalent of four avocados in each package. Also has the same ingredients and no preservatives added.

32 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

They must really be poor.

That must be it. 🤣

We just don't sit around eating chips and dip.  With a meal, we just add slices of avocado.  

For potato chip, it is drops of hot sauce.

Wait... did Gringal simply ask where to get some pre-made? Let me offer a recipe for homemade pizza instead.

I have purchased it recently at WalMart, in the "fresh" vegetable section. It is not cheap and certainly won't be for a bunch of people. It is also rather bland. The jar that Tiny shows above, as I recall, was rather watery.

I'm going to guess that any restaurant you've had guacamole at, will make a batch for you. I do this frequently for pico de gallo, for example. A half or full litre, for a handful of pesos.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Wait... did Gringal simply ask where to get some pre-made? Let me offer a recipe for homemade pizza instead.

I have purchased it recently at WalMart, in the "fresh" vegetable section. It is not cheap and certainly won't be for a bunch of people. It is also rather bland. The jar that Tiny shows above, as I recall, was rather watery.

I'm going to guess that any restaurant you've had guacamole at, will make a batch for you. I do this frequently for pico de gallo, for example. A half or full litre, for a handful of pesos.

I guess the handful of pesos will be 20 pesos pieces and not 5 pesos pieces? 

4 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Of all the Mexican foods to buy instead of making it yourself, Guacamole should be at the bottom of one's list. I make mine by chopping jitomate, either a jalapeno or serrano pepper (remove the seeds with a spoon) and if you like, some finely diced white onion, then roughly mash in the avocado. Squeeze a little lime juice over it all and if you like, a little salt and that's it. Save the pits from the avocadoes and place in the guacamole until ready to serve. It couldn't be much easier.

It is very easy to make. What is NOT easy is getting all the avocados to be perfectly ripe and free of spots on the inside. I found that I had to buy four avocados to get the equivalent of two. And that, imho, is neither economically feasible nor good time management. YMMV.

13 hours ago, gringal said:

I like theirs, too.  But I need enough for 12 munchers and sometimes they don't have it (gasp), so I'm wondering if they take orders for large batches. If so, that would be a great solution.

I would vote that you find a local establishment make a batch for you.  🙋‍♂️

Archived