Chapala.com Webboard

SKYPE in Mexico

Floradude

8 minutes ago, Floradude said:

As an American living in Mexico I use SKYPE for business calls to the US.  Now I want to use SKYPE to make a business call in Mexico.  Is this possible?

How is it done?   As soon as I sign on to SKYPE to make a call the number 1 is automatically entered before I can enter a number.

What device (pc, cell) are you calling with?  The software may be a different.

16 minutes ago, Floradude said:

As an American living in Mexico I use SKYPE for business calls to the US.  Now I want to use SKYPE to make a business call in Mexico.  Is this possible?

How is it done?   As soon as I sign on to SKYPE to make a call the number 1 is automatically entered before I can enter a number.

With a pc, it is easy to select the country.

With my cell, I just used the backspace to remove the country code.

34 minutes ago, Floradude said:

As an American living in Mexico I use SKYPE for business calls to the US. 

This a related issue.  When you call the US, are you calling other Skype users or do use credits to call landlines/cell phones?  Reason I ask is I have a $2.99 per month subscription for unlimited call to the US, including 800 numbers. I am not sure if this could be used for business calls.

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

Go up to corner where the American flag is showing and change to Mexican flag.

Do you have a Telmex landline here, or only a cell phone.  Because you can call anywhere in Mexico for nothing with your landline.

Tiny asked the all-important question: cell phone or computer? The dial pad appears in different places, and is not obvious, because it is just a tiny, unmarked icon of 10 dots. Once you open the dial pad, you can pick the country and type your number... Skype will put in the proper country code automatically. And Natasha also makes a good point: long distance calls via TelMex are free to within Mexico, and to Canada and the U.S.

Sorry, I tried to answer you Tiny twice yesterday but some red security screen (?) kept coming up. Now your requests is moot for me, but to answer your question I use Skype on my desk top computer.  I wanted to use it yesterday afternoon so I would have the microphone and speakers available so others could listen in and participate.  Instead we just used my cell phone which is what I was trying to avoid.  Computer Guy it sounds like you are on to something and I could probably figure it out.  Once I open the dial pad Skype automatically enters a 1.  I tried entering 52 after this but that did not work.  Oh well, thanks for all the input.  It was really just an academic exercise.  I can call the US and  Mexico free also on my landline also.  I continue to use Skype out of habit for the US because it costs almost nothing.  

Years ago, we bought a speakerphone at Telmex, and it works just fine for multiple people. It might solve your problem.  We kept ours when we moved to Tucson, and now it is with us in Texas, connected to our Ooma Telo, which is a VOIP system, connected to our internet modem. Basic service is just $6/month, and we can call anywhere. You could even elect to have a US number, if you buy it there and initiate service there.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The country dropdown is at the top of the screen once you open the dial pad. The prefix that Skype answers depends on which country is selected. And you can backspace over the number.

Skype screen.jpg

Like I said before, I am lazy. For me, it is backspace, backspace, "1" or the opposite for "52". Of course, if I don't know the country code I will use the pull down and roll through the countries.  CG, nice screen capture.

Archived