Chapala.com Webboard

USAA Bank (U.S. Military and Veterans)...A branch in Mexico for depositing SS and other services?

gringohombre

I am being dinged 5% for my SS deposit in my US bank, and then low ATM conversion rate and fee so looking for another solution. I do have a Bancomer account here and know that through the US consulate I can get this transferred here, but there is a lot of paperwork involved. As a Vet, I was wondering if this bank would be an option here. Tried calling them but as is now usual, you cannot get to a real person...just "enter your account number...answer the following questions, bla, bla, bla"

Any experience with this bank relating to my situation would be appreciated. Gracias.

No branch in Mexico but we have used them for years - long before we moved to Mexico. The SS check is automatically deposited - no fee - and we take the $$ out using local ATMs  - again no fee. They don't have physical banks per se, everything is over the phone (no charge) or on-line.

There is information about opening an account on their Webpage. I've never had problems reaching a real person but don't remember which options I've chosen. Their customer service people are the best - anyone who can patiently put up with dear husband and his dementia deserves an award.

USAA is a great banking option for expats in general: of course, you have to be a veteran, discharged honorably, to qualify (or the child/spouse of same). Unlike some banks that treat expats as a problem (you live where?), USAA is used to dealing with deployed military personnel the world over. 

It's all we use here, even when needing to transfer large sums (like buying a car) and it all goes very smoothly. Good luck!

For those who don't qualify for the USAA accounts, there is another institution that caters to expats as well as active overseas government employees: State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  Everything can be done online, including the initial application.  Good rates and service.

I joined USAA in the summer of 1959 and have never needed another  bank. They have many other services beyoned banking, insurance, auto purchaces, mutual funds, etc.  If you qualify, I know of no reason not to take advantage of membership.  There are no 'brick and mortar' locations, and everything is online, by phone or by mail. Your choice.  We have used USAA, while in Mexico, for ATM cash via debit card, large purchaces by credit card, and for home purchases using checks and/or plastic or direct transfer to a realtor's US bank escrow account.  Over 60 years of great service.

Archived