Chapala.com Webboard

New Chinese Restaurant on Parroquia (Ajijic Square)

Carnivore

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It was reported some time ago on this board that it was opened by one of the partners of (the now defunct) Tremezzo on Colon.

We've been living here fulltime for almost 20 years and have had the restaurant for 6. Since our profession is North Indian Classical Music we had an Indian restaurant. I Have been cooking Indian food for over 40 years, especially for our Indian guests who would stay at our house in San Francisco while doing the Northern California part of their tours.  This year I decided that Indian food was too exotic for this area, we had more Mexican clients than Gringos, so we went Chinese--SF native cuisine.  Some had suggested Mediterranean and we had that for 6 months a couple of years ago,but those that said they'd be there for us weren't... Obviously have nothing to do with Tremezzo.

36 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

We've been living here fulltime for almost 20 years and have had the restaurant for 6. Since our profession is North Indian Classical Music we had an Indian restaurant. I Have been cooking Indian food for over 40 years, especially for our Indian guests who would stay at our house in San Francisco while doing the Northern California part of their tours.  This year I decided that Indian food was too exotic for this area, we had more Mexican clients than Gringos, so we went Chinese--SF native cuisine.  Some had suggested Mediterranean and we had that for 6 months a couple of years ago,but those that said they'd be there for us weren't... Obviously have nothing to do with Tremezzo.

Thanks for clearing that up. As you know, rumours abound.

24 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Why hasn't even one customer commented on the food?

You know this board is an extremely small representation of residents here, so best guess is no one on here has eaten there.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You know this board is an extremely small representation of residents here, so best guess is no one on here has eaten there.

One of the problems is the parking during high season.  Almost none.  I intend to try it as soon as the crowds lighten up. I ate there several times when it was Indian food and liked it.  Not as popular a cuisine as Chinese....so we'll see.

Chinese food is only as good as the person who makes it. Doesn't matter if it's San Fransisco or Botswana. I've eaten in Chinatown in San Fransisco and had delicious meals, but I've never heard anyone refer to is as a style.

22 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

Please post menu information, hours and other pertinent things about your place in the restaurant happenings section of this board.  It will bring you more customers!

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Please post menu information, hours and other pertinent things about your place in the restaurant happenings section of this board.  It will bring you more customers!

The name of the restaurant would also be helpful.  

La Gran Muralla China By cafemediterraneo, January 18 in Lakeside Restaurant/Bistro Happenings 

We are now open for lunch and dinner serving Chinese food in the styles of Szechuan and Hunan.

It's been open for two months across from the Ajijic plaza and nobody seems to have tried it or admitted so.

19 hours ago, Willie said:

Since there is no designated handicap parking available along any of those streets od near any eateries in the downtown area, it is almost impossible for me to being my 89 yr old husband into town to eat...arrgh!!!! Harry???

There is handicap parking on the west side of the plaza, North of the taxi area. Of course, it's always completely occupied by vehicles who have no handicap sticker.

I wish there was an British style "Indian takeaway" style restaurant here. Only enough short term parking for picking up orders, enforced by a giant Sihk man, with a long sword in his belt.. Liitle foil constainers, smelling the delicious steam all the way home. Very easy for a restaurant to put together, they prepare the base sauces, or gravies, once a week, and all recipes stem from there. Many very good British/Indian curry websites online. They do not require exotic ingredients and labor intensive techniques that the best Indian recipes require.

55 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Many very good British/Indian curry websites online. They do not require exotic ingredients and labor intensive techniques that the best Indian recipes require.

CURRY HOUSE STYLE CURRY SAUCE - LARGE BATCH

Author: Dan Toombs

Cuisine: Indian

Cook time:  90 mins

Total time:  1 hour 30 mins

INGREDIENTS

10 large cooking onions – finely sliced

250ml vegetable oil

9 tablespoons garlic/ginger paste (equal amounts garlic and ginger blended into a paste with a little water.)

1 carrot - peeled and chopped

¼ head of cabbage - chopped

1 red capsicum (bell pepper) - diced

1 green capsicum (bell pepper) - diced

water

400ml (14 US fluid ounces ) chopped tomatoes

4 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)

1 tablespoon garam masala powder

1 tablespoon cumin powder

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon fenugreek powder

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 tablespoon turmeric

Salt and pepper to taste (I usually leave this out and simply add it to the final dish)

INSTRUCTIONS

Pour the oil into a large heavy bottomed saucepan and heat over medium high heat until bubbling.

Throw in the sliced onions and fry, stirring regularly for about 20 minutes until the onions are soft, lightly browned and translucent.

Add the capsicums (bell peppers), carrot and cabbage and stir to combine.

Fry for a further five minutes and then add the ginger and garlic purees and the all of the spices except for the turmeric.

Now add the tomatoes and just enough water (about 2 cups/ 500ml) to cover the vegetables and simmer for about half an hour.

After 30 minutes, remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Scoop the mixture in batches into a blender and blend until silky smooth. I usually do this for about three minutes per batch. If you have a hand held blender, this stage will be much easier.

Once your sauce is smooth, melt the ghee in a frying pan. Add the turmeric powder to the ghee. It will darken as it cooks. You want to brown it for about 30 seconds being careful not to burn the turmeric.

Now add the turmeric/ghee mixture to the sauce and bring to a simmer again.

Once it is bubbling away, turn down the heat and simmer for a further 20 to 30 minutes

Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to three days or freeze in 750ml (3 cups) portions for up to three months.

Archived