Chapala.com Webboard

"The Golden Rule" Etiquette Guides/Board Rules Need Reinforcement

Lily H

I have been reading this board since 2013. I have gained tremendous knowledge from many of you who willingly share. (For example, I have 14 seamstresses in my notebook in all of lakeside and have used 3 of them for different things. Thanks to those who shared.)

I have also read so much weekly and sometimes daily the too often unnecessary quick tempered, know-it-all and ready to slam anyone at any time on any topic type of comments. My understanding is generally this type of person knew a whole lot less than his constant diatribes against people.

Our baby boomer generation or the generation before were brought up to be good mannered and gentlemanly. What happened? How come very few are so loud, self-absorbed, quick to condemn, know-it-all, rude and so lack of empathy, especially towards your fellow expats?

I hope more people will join me requesting "Etiquette Guides"/Board Rules to be reinforced.

I agree that more civility would be welcome, but I don't see this as a generational phenomenon.  Some of the worst offenders are way up there in years.

I think it's about how they were raised, how they were tolerated by others when they went into "bully" mode and the current situation with social media where it seems anything goes.  Anonymity facilitates saying what people wouldn't dream of saying in a face to face situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, Lily H said:

I have been reading this board since 2013. I have gained tremendous knowledge from many of you who willingly share. (For example, I have 14 seamstresses in my notebook in all of lakeside and have used 3 of them for different things. Thanks to those who shared.)

I have also read so much weekly and sometimes daily the too often unnecessary quick tempered, know-it-all and ready to slam anyone at any time on any topic type of comments. My understanding is generally this type of person knew a whole lot less than his constant diatribes against people.

Our baby boomer generation or the generation before were brought up to be good mannered and gentlemanly. What happened? How come very few are so loud, self-absorbed, quick to condemn, know-it-all, rude and so lack of empathy, especially towards your fellow expats?

I hope more people will join me requesting "Etiquette Guides"/Board Rules to be reinforced.

it's the millenials who were educated by common core and brainwashed by the globalist liberals , who are obsessed with themselves. it's a factor of many things.  I hear that the upcoming X generation will be better, let's wait and see.

signed . a observant baby boomer.

2 hours ago, bobby brown said:

it's the millenials who were educated by common core and brainwashed by the globalist liberals , who are obsessed with themselves. it's a factor of many things.  I hear that the upcoming X generation will be better, let's wait and see.

signed . a observant baby boomer.

We do not have many millennials on this web board.

Too many people these days are intolerant of diverse opinions and immediately resort to personal attack when they see something they don't like.  It never occurs to them that this simply displays the weakness of their position and/or their personal inability to make their case in a civil and impersonal manner.

If you think this board is bad, there are others nearby where any deviance from the group think is met with vicious personal attack and even personal threats.  We mods try to walk a fine line between too strict and not strict enough which results in complaints about both and often personal attacks from the same folks who cause most of the unpleasantness here and on other boards.

Archived