Chapala.com Webboard

Cleaning mineral deposits off glass lids of pots

cedros

I have metal pots and frying pans that have glass lids. A mineral deposit from the water builds up on the lids. Does anyone know how to remove this deposit without damaging the handles of the lids? 

22 minutes ago, cedros said:

I have metal pots and frying pans that have glass lids. A mineral deposit from the water builds up on the lids. Does anyone know how to remove this deposit without damaging the handles of the lids? 

Try vinegar. White vinegar preferred. Also works on shower heads.

You should read up on the do's and don't of use/mixing with vinegar.

For example:

https://www.today.com/home/28-ways-use-vinegar-around-your-house-t72276

12 hours ago, cedros said:

I have always used 000 or 0000(the best)steel wool to clean my chrome plating and glass on cars so why not a pot?

I cannot find anything difficult that Barkeeper's Friend is good for. I use CLR, diluted, to clean drinking glasses and the like, and full strength with a scrubber (very tough and nappy material like a BBQ brush) for lids and things. But once the minerals have actually etched the glass, there's no way. I have house windows that will never be clear again.

Archived