Chapala.com Webboard

Drive to Calexico border crossing?

Colo-Rick

Does anyone know about the drive from Sonoyta to Mexicali on route 2?  How is the road?  Is there much traffic?  Is it safe for a Gringo hauling a small trailer?

Or should I go North at Lukeville to Gila Bend and West?  70 extra miles, well over an hour with the trailer.

Thanks,

Rick

From Lukeville to Ajijic is a good 3 days driving and 2 nights on the road. From Columbia Bridge (north of Laredo) it is one day driving and no nights on the road. Cheaper gas in the US and no tolls. All good roads too and the only bad spot is the railroad crossing on the north bypass of Lagos de Moreno. Suggest driving thru LdM rather than take that bypass. 

I use Sr Google a lot for travel but I also don't do it blindly. If I were making that trip with a trailer I would exit at Nogales and then take I10 west. 60 miles farther but faster.

Unless one has verified info about the condition of Mex 2 across there....it goes from good to bad... why drive it as opposed to 4-lane I10 & much better fuel prices and no "extraneous" conditions to concern oneself.  YMMV

P.S. I'd also take the Macrolibramiento just south of the GDL airport over to 15D west of Guadalajara and not go thru Joco.

I drove the # 2 from Sonoyta last week.   It has way too many potholes to make any kind of speed.   The famous tire guy, Pedro in Gila needed to check tites thoroughly when I got there  

I came back from Gila Bend via nogales and good roads, a little construction but no traffic delays.

That was a 2 day drive.  Gila Bend to Navajoa the first day, early stop but I prefer it as an overnight point   Then 10 1/2 hours from Navajoa to Ajijic day 2.

the macrolibramiento from Mazatlan to the Guad/Chapala highway took hours off the journey 

We just did the drive in December and it was fine. We felt safe and the road was ok as well. We stayed a night in Santa Anna in a pet friendly motel that was pretty nice and had a good meal. Got up the next morning and on the road at daybreak and were in Mexicali by about 1 pm. Border crossing was pretty mellow although we were trying to turn in our TIP vehicle permit and it is basically impossible once you are in line with your car so you need to park, walk to the building to turn in your TIP and then get back in your car to be in line for the border crossing. The whole thing took about 15 minutes and it was when the big hooplah at the border was taking place. 

Archived