Chapala.com Webboard

Friendly Factor

crynoutloud

This  confrontational  incident on the front page of last week GR is truly amazing, more so that Dale Palfrey "happened" to be passing for a photo shot.

Who the heck is this US employer who sent 4 Mexicans with  anti Trump placards

If folks wish to escape:rolleyes::015::rolleyes:........ from the USA because of the "political situation", why ho why do they bring their baggage down here...please please leave your problems NOB and enjoy Paradise 

For your information, lakeside7, Dale was aware that a protest would be happening; like any good reporter, she has contacts. She went to report on it. She was not aware that a fight was going to break out. You are accusing her of setting it up. Give her the courtesy of being in the right place at the right time, as is often the case with Dale.

She was also on the scene today in front of the old Chapala post office when a body was being inspected by the new forensic team. A junkie, well-known in the neighbourhood, finally went too far. I was parking there at exactly the same time. But let's just say we both "happened" to be passing by...

Strange. I got this as a Quite Reply but in an email.here it is.

"Then, there's the aches and pains that come with living a long time;  one cause of grumpiness and grouchiness, but most people roll with it and keep on being pleasant to others in spite of it🙃.  Some don't."

I would also agree with that. 

I could see the Medical aspects being a contributing factor.

I would also say that everybody has a way of dealing with things, young or Old. I have seen youngins not handling things well and i have seen people I know who are in pain but as jolly as can be.

I have also seen people who appeared angry but were not at all. You know the Resting Bi*ch Face.

Its a personal Perspective

I guess we all can't go through the day whistling and skipping. I have had bad days I hope I no one notices.   We live in an expat area which normally means seniors. Maybe because of my profession I think  of Alzheimer's and dementia which can cause behavior changes so if you have a loved one watch for small changes over a length of time.

Then again there are people born just rude.  

7 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Just out of curiosity, where is Chapala´s old post office?  Has it moved from Degollado?

Heading into Chapala from the west, before you get to the lights, you see an entrance to the malecon on the right covered by a huge vela (sail). The first building past that entrance was the Chapala Post Office many years ago. It became a landmark for many. I suppose a newer landmark would be the mural painted on the concrete support wall on the mountain across the street.

12 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

This  confrontational  incident on the front page of last week GR is truly amazing, more so that Dale Palfrey "happened" to be passing for a photo shot.

Who the heck is this US employer who sent 4 Mexicans with  anti Trump placards

If folks wish to escape:rolleyes::015::rolleyes:........ from the USA because of the "political situation", why ho why do they bring their baggage down here...please please leave your problems NOB and enjoy Paradise 

If folks want to escape from their countries why do they parade in the USA carrying their origin countries flags?

Psst.....Don't tell the OP, but she is terminal. Once she realizes that, she may become a bit grumpy; unless, of course, she is one of those 'believers' and anxious for the end to come. In that case, she will be always cheerful and smiling, but probably also a pest who just has to share her good news, over and over and over again; which could hasten the 'terminatioin'. There just is no good answer, other than "all things in moderation".

45 minutes ago, tomgates said:

If people are more rude this year, it could be due to a small influx of people suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome.

You mean those watching a criminal run a country into the ground?

I happen to agree with the OP. There is a lot more rudeness here; many people have arrived solely to take advantage of the financial circumstances with no interest in becoming part of the community. I feel it every day. But it was inevitable.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:52 PM, crynoutloud said:

Is it just my imagination or does it seem a little less friendly around town? More rudeness?

Unrelated to that are there more Canadians around now than there used to be.?

Maybe it is because  we are being more  crowded  , traffic congestion and larger line ups in the stores and getting on the bus, etc etc,   ..... If anyone are getting less friendly or less reliable it is the local work people who continue to make promises and fail to turn up or call..but then many Gringos will jump on me and rationalize this as "being part of the culture"

I have no desire to "jump on you". 😏 

But....over a decade ago I took a Spanish course from the Warren Hardy institute in San Miguel de Allende.  It was a three week all day intensive course that started off with Warren giving lectures on the differences between U.S. culture and Mexican culture.  To "us" money and time were of great importance.  To Mexicans, other priorities, such as family needs, were more important.  Also, there was a great reluctance to say "no", and rather than do so, a worker will simply not show up.  This is certainly true in my experience over the years and that of everyone I know.  Definitely part of the culture.

Yes, it is a very definite part of the culture. Being negative in any way is just something that the typical Mexican cannot bring himself to do. A positive attitude, response and demeanor is all important.  For an expat to fail to understand that fact is to insure that his own life in Mexico will be one long frustrating experience.  It is better to understand it, and to plan for it by creating options, instead of disappointments. For example: If you are waiting for a person or event, and it fails to materialize, have an optional activity and act upon it. There is no need to wait around and suffer.  If the person arrives late, and you have departed, so be it.  No hay problema.

WhatsApp is the way most Mexicans communicate. Just got a message from Beto of the ironworks opposite Roberto's La Terraza. We had a flexible appointment for an estimate this morning. He said he was running late and gave me three options for another appointment. I chose tomorrow at 9 am.

I understand completely that family comes first and all the other little emergencies in life do too. But, if I am working with someone then they understand that I don't care about the WHY of it, that I am flexible but would really appreciate a message so I don't have to WORRY about them. 

I would never leave my house if I was expecting someone because, imho, respect is a two way street. If it was an emergency, I would leave a note on the door. YMMV.

Ferret,

I understand, and agree with your sentiment, with the exception of leaving a note on my door. It is an advertisement to all, informing them that you are not at home.  Not usually a good idea anywhere these days.

Archived